Off-Topic :: Autos Interested in discussing other autos? This is the place!

Scion or Element

Old 03-12-2006, 08:29 AM
MiniMac2005
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick-Anderson
This seems like an apples and oranges comparisison. The Element is a much nicer car but the price between the two reflect it. I would but the Element unless price is the main concern.
I agree. The two cars are not used for the same purposes.

Element is total utility. Drive it, beat it, abuse it, clean it and go. It gets you where you want to go and yes.. it's a bit pricey. The xB is more of fun car. You can order it with whatever extra stuff you want to make it more street appealing. I don't think it was meant to haul 1800 lbs of cement mix.. but that's another story for another time . I have seen the xB as a taxi ...

Old 03-12-2006, 10:08 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^^ +1

utility, go for element.
fun, go for xB.

Old 03-31-2006, 05:36 PM
Rollin
3rd Gear
So did you buy one? If so, which one?

Old 03-31-2006, 08:12 PM
Khodabear
3rd Gear
I didn't buy either - yet.
My insurance company hasn't settled the claim yet - looks like I'll get about $4200 for the 96 Silhouette.
I bought a 98 Voyager with 67k on it for $4300 to keep me going till I get things settled.
I just returned from the Denver Auto Show....they had Smart cars there. Cute - not bad for room - $27,000. No - really - $27,000.

I looked at all the choices in Vans and people movers - Element is the only logical choice. Scion is cool - and spacious - but doesn't have a flat floor and is way underpowered. The Scion factory rep told me that there is a company doing Turbo chargers on the Xb - but it voids the warranty.
Sounds familiar

Peter

Old 07-14-2006, 05:52 PM
Cooper(non-s)
2nd Gear
Car and Driver did a test of four cars, two of them being the Element and Scion xB. The xB got first, the Element got last. It was a few months back, but I can't remember exactly which month.

My mom has a xA and it's an ok car, the A/C is weak tho. Good brakes and handling and fuel efficiency.

Old 07-14-2006, 07:10 PM
mikem53
5th Gear
I bought my 05 xB about 1.5 years ago.. I bought it as a beater car when I had my Z06. I like the box... It is fun to drive, very roomy for its small footprint. It was cheap to buy.. uses a timing chain and not a rubber belt..
It's a bit tinny on the outside.. but its a well crafted machine.. drives nice and gets 31- 33 mpg in the worst city traffic no matter how hard you drive it... I get 35mpg on the hwy... I live in Charlotte NC... Had some 96 degree days with humidity to match.. no problems with the AC... 04 models had issues.. and there is a tech bulletin on getting it fixed. I got mine with the port installed cruise control... A must for any trips.. I take it on 500 a day mile trips and its quite comfy... It comes loaded with all the power options.. remote entry and a kick butt sounding stereo.. I got the automatic for my city runs... a better option than the standard on the Hwy...

Old 07-14-2006, 08:28 PM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Element, absolutely. We have one, and we love that we can get the rear seats out of the way (or out completely), and even hose out the interior. Something to think about with dogs. We have also transported a full sized washer and dryer in the Element. Perfect for camping too.

Very peppy engine, great handling. Wonderful climate control. Ours is the all wheel drive model which we have used from time to time. Very comfortable.

http://automobiles.honda.com/models/...elName=Element

Old 07-15-2006, 02:04 AM
C4
Banned
The main negative about the xB (Besides the "look at me, I am a dork" looks and the sewing machine engine) is the lack of factory side airbags. Totally inexcusable, Toyota!

The Element is a good choice, but consider the fact that this car rides on the outgoing Civic platform 2001-2005 generation which means is not as structurally solid as say as the new '06 Civic chassis.

Also if you are considering an Element, please, please get one with side airbags. For some wacky reason Honda has not made them standard in the Element, despite very poor side impact scores without them.

The Element's weakest link is side body strtucture stifness. Since the car does not have a B-pillar and suicide doors that latch onto the front ones, means that your seatbelt integrity as well as body integrity rely mostly on the doors and I think this sucks.

A new Element and CR-V should be coming out soon, riding on the all new Civic platform. The new chassis should make these vehicles safer than the current ones.

Old 07-15-2006, 12:58 PM
mikem53
5th Gear
Well crashing testing results of the xB say different... It's 4 stars (same as mini) for frontal crash for both the passenger and driver side.
Side impact is 4 stars for the rear occupant and 3 for the front.
As far as looks go... its form follows function... there is alot of room in the xB considering its footprint is the same as a Mazda Miata.

Originally Posted by C4
The main negative about the xB (Besides the "look at me, I am a dork" looks and the sewing machine engine) is the lack of factory side airbags. Totally inexcusable, Toyota!

The Element is a good choice, but consider the fact that this car rides on the outgoing Civic platform 2001-2005 generation which means is not as structurally solid as say as the new '06 Civic chassis.

Also if you are considering an Element, please, please get one with side airbags. For some wacky reason Honda has not made them standard in the Element, despite very poor side impact scores without them.

The Element's weakest link is side body strtucture stifness. Since the car does not have a B-pillar and suicide doors that latch onto the front ones, means that your seatbelt integrity as well as body integrity rely mostly on the doors and I think this sucks.

A new Element and CR-V should be coming out soon, riding on the all new Civic platform. The new chassis should make these vehicles safer than the current ones.