Off-Topic :: Autos Interested in discussing other autos? This is the place!

Road Rage?

Old 01-01-2006, 09:08 AM
Gr8Force
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Road ragers & inattentive, cell phone abusin', driving slow in the passing lane idiots should be lumped into the same lane. Pass the popcorn!

Flyin' the bird? Too cool! I got one of those too. Oh wait! Now I've got two of them! Neat huh?!!!

Old 01-01-2006, 09:22 AM
MR ECON
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My way of controlling my own road rage is to remember that each of us, at one time or another, is an idiot behind the wheel. We can all probably recall a time or two when we did something while driving that wasn't to bright and caused someone near us some grief. It might be as simple as changing lanes without signaling our intentions or not killing a turn signal after a "bear right." There are probably a few times we did something stupid but didn't even realize it. So when someone has their stupid moment, I just try to get away from them as fast as I can in case they have a quick relapse. That's where the "S" in Mini Cooper S comes in handy.

Old 01-01-2006, 09:26 AM
TheWrks
Coordinator :: Michigan MINI Motor Club
Originally Posted by fitch
Good story about how to control your road rage..

A man rowed a small boat upstream, heading toward home, when he felt another small boat, heading downstream, collide with his boat. Since he had the right of way, he felt angry. Turning, he yelled at the other boatman, "Watch out. Be more careful!"
The other boatsman apologized, and gently passed by. An hour later, as the man continued upstream, he felt another boat collide with his. Furious, he turned to yell. His anger vanished when he saw that the boat was empty – it must have come loose from its moorings.
Calmly, he pushed it aside and continued on his journey. The boatsman never lost his temper again, because from then on he treated everyone like an empty boat.
That a good one

Old 01-01-2006, 10:07 AM
Outbackbob
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by TheOldMan
Can’t help but notice one thing on the thread though, the mythical “Fast Lane” is often mentioned. While slower traffic should always keep right, the speed limit actually applies equally to all lanes of the expressway.
Not true. In Oregon anyway. Driving slow in the passing lane is a traffic violation and is posted as such.

The worst offenders of this that I have seen are people from Washington state and truckers.
People from Washington drive in the passing lane and won't move over for nothing.
Or you get people who are passing slower traffic and are going about 1 mph faster than the vehicle(s) they are passing.
Worst yet is the ones who pull into the passing lane cause they see you coming and there is a slower vehicle about a quarter mile ahead and they don't want to get caught behind it.
The I-5 corridor is probably the worst for driving with truckers. Just 2 lanes and the trucks are like convoys. When one decides to pass another half the time they don't look behind. Many times I have come up on a line of trucks doing about 75 and right when I'm about to go by some ******** pulling 3 trailers doing about 45 pulls out in front of me to pass. I think they do it to **** people off.
Talk to a cop about it and they will tell you the I-5 corridor is designated a "truck safety corridor" meaning watch out for the truckers cause they can do what they want. Short of running you down.
I just go by shaking my head.

Old 01-01-2006, 10:30 AM
Nics
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Outbackbob
Not true. In Oregon anyway. Driving slow in the passing lane is a traffic violation and is posted as such.
Haha, it may be posted as a violation, but that never stopped anyone in the PDX area with jamming up the fast lane on 26, 217, or 30. But alas, I miss "home". Not as many SUVs as there are in TX, just crappy old school volvos. My road rage was not so bad up there.

Old 01-01-2006, 10:50 AM
Outbackbob
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Nics
Haha, it may be posted as a violation, but that never stopped anyone in the PDX area with jamming up the fast lane on 26, 217, or 30. But alas, I miss "home". Not as many SUVs as there are in TX, just crappy old school volvos. My road rage was not so bad up there.
Ain't that the truth. I visit my son who lives in Portland and it seems like they got it backwards. The fast lane is for slow vehicles and the slow lane is for fast vehicles. Not so bad though when there are several lanes. That's where the mini shines

Old 01-01-2006, 10:53 AM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can’t help but notice one thing on the thread though, the mythical “Fast Lane” is often mentioned. While slower traffic should always keep right, the speed limit actually applies equally to all lanes of the expressway.
This is true. I think its from "the old days" when lanes were clearly marked as "travel lanes" and "passing lanes".

But, of course, in many states its perfectly legal to pass in any lane if the fast lane is going to slow!

Old 01-01-2006, 11:37 AM
eVal
6th Gear
Apparently its not mythical here - I was curious and checked the CA DMV site, this is in the driving handbook:

"CHOOSING A LANE

Traffic lanes are often referred to by number. The left or “fast” lane is called the “No. 1 Lane.” The lanes to the right of the No. 1 lane are called the No. 2 lane, then the No. 3 lane. etc.

Example of numbered traffic lanes

Drive in the lane with the smoothest flow of traffic. If you can choose among three lanes, pick the middle lane for the smoothest driving. To drive faster, pass, or turn left, use the left lane. When you choose to drive slowly or enter or turn off the road, use the right lane.

Also see the "Passing Lanes" section -
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/hdbk/pgs22thru25.htm

Slower traffic to the right, passing/faster to the left, is in fact the way it is supposed to be and works best that way speed laws not withstanding

Old 01-01-2006, 12:11 PM
weezer2282
5th Gear
I always thought passing on the right was wrong and against the law in some places. I find myself having to pass on the right even doing the speed limit. A lot of the time the right lane is open for miles too and the other lanes will have lines of traffic.

Old 01-01-2006, 01:28 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by weezer2282
I always thought passing on the right was wrong and against the law in some places. ....
Each state has its own laws but over the years, the states have been moving to a more realistic view of traffic.

"It’s legal in Maryland to pass on the left or right on multi-laned highways."

http://www.marylandmva.com/AboutMVA/RULES/default.htm

Old 01-01-2006, 01:51 PM
TheOldMan
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Outbackbob
I do not want to cause thread rage, but read my comment carefully. I simply said the speed limit applies to all lanes and slower traffic should keep right.

I was unaware this was not true in California and Oregon. Are there different speed limit signs on the the right and left side of the road? What is the speed limit in the left lane? This must be very confusing.

In Michigan, the expressway limit is 70 for right or left lanes. I guess I learned something new today.

I stand corrected. I am pulling over to let you by.

Old 01-01-2006, 02:33 PM
89AKurt
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I call the LEFT LANE LEMMINGS. Soon as they turn into the 4 lane (with center left-turn/dead-man zone), they stay in lane #1 because they're going to turn left sometime today. Great post!
Originally Posted by eVal
"CHOOSING A LANE

Traffic lanes are often referred to by number. The left or “fast” lane is called the “No. 1 Lane.” The lanes to the right of the No. 1 lane are called the No. 2 lane, then the No. 3 lane. etc.

Example of numbered traffic lanes

Would you, in a beater Subaru wagon, tell me driving this truck, behind you, that "your wife is a freak"? I was going to put up a campaign sign for my wife who was running for re-election on the school board, this bonehead saw the sign standing up in the bed. Dork bought the negative b.s. from her opposition. Light turns green, we go for about a mile on this light arterial street, I'm way back thinking about what a bonehead this dork is, if the next light turns red... it does. I stop sort of close, yell "What did you say back there?" He said "[wife name] is a freak! oh, nice truck." I respond "And you're a moron." Light turns green.
He doesn't go, so I "help" him by putting my '48 Chevy into granny gear, edged up until contact and then floored the long-stroke 6cyl. and pushed him into the intersection. He finally goes, then stops in the #1 lane right in front of me. So I "help" him again. Just then here comes a marked patrol car the other way! Then dork jumps out of car and starts running towards the cop, leaving his door open [I was so tempted]. I back up, go around in the #2 lane, pull off on a side street, decide not to put up sign at that corner. Soon the patrol car comes up behind me, and I pull off onto a dirt side street. Dork, a little later pulls up, says he was getting ready for a camping trip and needed to get "groceries" home near here, will be right back. So I talk with with the cops, which ended up with 3 cars on scene, about how stupid politics is and what's happening with pshco-dork. And we talk...and talk... and look at the time. They tell me that if Dork doesn't press charges, I'm free to go. He never returned!:impatient
A week later hit it's the paper. Three letters get published about what a menace I am, should have been jailed. Only because of my wife, running for office. How dare she!
Moral of this story: Don't **** off bigger vehicles!? Leaves me Sprints, Aspires, Metros.

Old 01-01-2006, 05:23 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
We're lucky to have our nimble MINIs for maneuvering through the messy daily traffic conditions! It's so odd to generally find the right lane is the fastest and most effective passing lane!

Old 01-01-2006, 05:49 PM
lotsie
Banned
Road rage in these parts is shown by not waving back at folks

Old 01-01-2006, 05:52 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by lot15
Road rage in these parts is shown by not waving back at folks
Thats because you all got your headlights on during the day. It blinds everyone so they dont get rage

Old 01-01-2006, 05:54 PM
weezer2282
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIclo
We're lucky to have our nimble MINIs for maneuvering through the messy daily traffic conditions! It's so odd to generally find the right lane is the fastest and most effective passing lane!
You know what, it's almost like living in England.

Old 01-03-2006, 04:49 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
I guess this wasn't Road Rage, per se, but one year driving Xcountry we stopped at a Best Western in Fargo, ND. All night long some party went on in the ballroom. Got up in the morning, starting packing the car only to find the real license plate stolen ... and this was like the third day of a month long trip.

Front desk called the cops who said to just sit there. They came by an hour later WITH the plates. Some "kids" from Canada liked to come across the border and steal plates at the hotels but one of them made the mistake of going to a local bar and bragging about it. Got the whole group busted. Got the plate back and off we went.

Old 01-03-2006, 04:55 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
You know what, it's almost like living in England.
Um, no it's not....

Old 01-03-2006, 08:17 PM
weezer2282
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIclo
Um, no it's not....
Isn't their "fast lane" on the right over there?

Old 01-03-2006, 08:47 PM
ChiliCooperS
6th Gear
I have had several road rage incedents, partly because of my aggressive driving, partly the shear stupidity of other people, and partly because of my reaction to them. None of them happend in the last 48 hours when I was transporting two cars for a total of 1731.25 miles. But that's because southerners have better things to do than critique somebody.

IE:
Two weeks ago I driving through an intersection I have a green arrow and am turning (in the MCS) and this... kindly lady... in a Jeep drives out in the middle of the intersection, lays on her horn, causing me to slam on the brakes, I end up like two feet away from her front bumper, meanwhile I almost get rear ended by the cars following me, and I just stop and give this lady a blank stare who thinks she has a green light when it's more red than my car. That ticked her off even more. She flipped me off and drove around me, running the red light.

THAT SAME NIGHT I'm coming back from the hanger where I wash my car in the winter, and the guy that's behind me in a ford pickup just starts drifting over in my lane and I toot the horn because he's almost forcing me up over the curb, and he serves back over. At the next light he gives me the "look" as I blankly stare back and this caused him to flip me off.

TWO DAYS LATER I'm coming back from my future girlfriend's house and am waiting at a RR crossing when the train comes to a complete stop. It sits there motionless for like 2 minutes. I'm late for a golf lesson, I back up and turn around and the guy that was behind me flipped me off. I just gave him the raised eyebrow "What's wrong with you?" look.

The benefit of having a bright red MINI Cooper S in an area that has maybe five or six MINIs total, is that you'll get noticed, I mean the way people react I might as well be driving a red Lamborghini. I attribute my lack of accidents in my first year of driving to this. I know "I" won't cause an accident. I always have my head in the game, while others either have their's up their a$$ or on something else.

I drive aggressively, I'll be the first to say this. But when you drive aggressively 99.99% of the time your head is in the task at hand, which is driving. The people who are dangerous are those that are talking on their cell phone, taking their kids to soccer practice, and drinking a latte all at the same time.

I hate stupid people.

Mikey

Old 01-03-2006, 09:27 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Isn't their "fast lane" on the right over there?
Yes, but their lanes are reversed, silly! It is NOT the same. To find that what was always the merge/slow-poke lane in SoCal is now often the fastest lane is really bizarre!

Old 01-03-2006, 09:58 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I could go on for HOURS about all of the driving stupidity I see. I have noticed that much, but most certainly not all, of this goes away when there are no nearby cell towers. In the past 24 hours I have had people ignore red lights, stop signs and one jeep pull out from a stop in a turn lane into 50 MPH traffic without so much as signaling. This verified the the MCS brakes work very well in the wet conditions. I also had a city bus merge on top of me. I don't bother to count those pesky tailgaiters any more. I watch a lexsus SUV (the driver happened to be on a cell phone, though not saying there is a relation) pull on to a five lane high way as I was thaveling in the number 2 lane He proceeded to go from the five lane to the one lane in 1/4 of a mile dispte plenty of empty road ahead of him then sit in the one lane for all of a mile passing nobody then gave me 5ft following dist at 70MPH pause for about 10 sec., which made me irate becuase my rearview was basically useless. then made a steadyturn for an off ramp no more than 2 miles where he entered the highway. I have driven across most of the eastern US, and seen plenty of signs stating that the left lane was for passing only and slower traffic should move to the right, I unfortunately only find this to be true when driving at night when the majority traffic is trucks, I have a respect for the work that they do and try to be polite as possible when around the and understand that they have a significantly harder time driving than we do (more weight, huge blind spots). I have found it is just best to expect cars to do the dumbest crazyiest things possible, and make sure that I always have a patch of road to avoid whatever it is that they may do. I also find that I can intuitively tell when some one is going to cut me off or run a red. By the end of the day I was ready to set up a video camera just to laugh at the stupid things people do behind the wheel. Thats just my recent experiance/ opinion. I once heard it best said by an ambulance driver- "There are many people who have a drivers lisence but only a few who know how to drive."

Old 01-03-2006, 10:20 PM
ChiliCooperS
6th Gear
Oh yea and that reminded me, I hate it when semis pass each other! It takes like 5 minutes!

Oh and don't even get me started on ricers!

Old 01-03-2006, 10:32 PM
hyobum
5th Gear
It would be REALLY nice if people actually used the rear view mirrors. Too many people don't even bother to switch to the slower lane when they are going 55mph. I've even seen some guy who didn't switch lanes when there was a cop trying to pass him.

Old 01-03-2006, 10:58 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ChiliCooperS
Oh and don't even get me started on ricers!
I have a JB/B MCS and put the bogie stickers on my door as a bit of humor (I am studing aerospace engineering so most of my social group gets the allusion to fighter planes) I can't go out on a fri or sat. night w/out every "ricer" trying reving there engine trying to drag, even had SUVs do this, I'm not stupid I'm not gonna break the law, I've learned to let it go b/c I agree w/ the view of this site racing is for the track, too many out there find the freeway to be there own personal race track.

Quick Reply: Road Rage?