Off-Topic :: Autos Interested in discussing other autos? This is the place!

MINI is way too small, need a second car!

Old 04-02-2004, 11:15 AM
dcsmd007
Coordinator :: PDX MINI
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a family car, what do you suggest? SUV? Sedan? Specifically, which one? Thanks! :smile:

Old 04-02-2004, 11:57 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Price range?
Number of passenger?
FWD / RWD / AWD ?
Would you consider a wagon (Audi Avant / BMW Touring / WRX )?
How would you rank (relatively) performance and reliability?

Old 04-02-2004, 12:05 PM
jsun
6th Gear
Don't be one of those people who say "gas mileage doesn't matter." Choose the most fuel efficient vehicle in whatever class you buy. $3/gal is just around the corner...and it's not coming down in this lifetime... (well, you wanted opinions)

Old 04-02-2004, 01:01 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If I had a family, I would get a european stationwagon, the nicest I could afford.

I have been looking for a specific 1983-85 Mercedes 300 turbodiesel stationwagon for the past several years. Want to find one that is nearly perfect, but these things are built like tanks, and the diesel engines in these babies go 500k or more before they might need a re-build.

If I got something newer, I would probably get a used BMW stationwagon for the reason that I have a great BMW mechanic here in Birmingham. A fantastic trustworthy mechanic who does a great job and stands by his work is worth more than just about any used car.

Old 04-02-2004, 07:26 PM
pocketrocketowner
Banned
I drool at the Audi 4 quattro wagon...seen one at the dealership today....madam treasurer had to drag me out......that is what i´d get...no doubt...having said that, and this is probably sacrilege in this forum but the Suburban is an AWESOME vehicle. I have had it 2WD and 4WD and if I could have gotten a diesel in it I would still own one. Truly a mean machine.

Old 04-03-2004, 11:12 AM
dcsmd007
Coordinator :: PDX MINI
>>Price range?
Don't have one yet!

>>Number of passenger?
At least 5 including the driver.

>>FWD / RWD / AWD?
Most likely RWD or AWD.

>>Would you consider a wagon (Audi Avant / BMW Touring / WRX :smile:
2. E55 AMG - 469hp, fastest automatic but the design is a bit mundane
3. M5 - not yet available

Old 04-03-2004, 06:23 PM
pocketrocketowner
Banned

>>Any suggestion? I'll probably sit tight and wait for the next generation M5.
>>

Seen the 6 series??????

Old 04-04-2004, 03:25 AM
MINI-MadMan
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
>>As a family car, what do you suggest? SUV? Sedan? Specifically, which one? Thanks! :smile:
>>

I don't think too many people here are going to tell ya to buy an SUV. I think this forum has to be the most anti-SUV club that I've been in. I'd go for a sedan. But it depends on what you wanna shell out. There's seems to be an abundance of high powered and damn sexy lookin' sedans out there now. As per the thread in MINI TALK regarding the sealed ragtop MINI, there may be a MINI wagon in 2006. IMHO, BMW has always been serious about making the driving experience wayyy better than anyone else. They put soo much into their cars. The style in and out, handling, power, accessories, etc.
Cheers,

Old 04-04-2004, 04:41 AM
jsun
6th Gear
If I had no need to haul more than people or things that fit in a car's trunk -- as seems to be your situation since you're leaning toward "sedan" -- I'd strongly consider a Prius. Otherwise, I know some folks who have AWD VWs (Passats) and are quite happy with those. If I had money to burn, I'd consider an Audi A6...but I'm personally hard pressed to spend that kind of dough.

But, I don't actually think that you're serious about any of this given your "monsterously high HP" comment.

Old 04-04-2004, 04:48 AM
pocketrocketowner
Banned
>>If I had no need to haul more than people or things that fit in a car's trunk -- as seems to be your situation since you're leaning toward "sedan" -- I'd strongly consider a Prius. Otherwise, I know some folks who have AWD VWs (Passats) and are quite happy with those. If I had money to burn, I'd consider an Audi A6...but I'm personally hard pressed to spend that kind of dough.
>>
>>But, I don't actually think that you're serious about any of this given your "monsterously high HP" comment.

Hey don't laugh....I keeep buying them lottery tickets every week......just a praying..... ...also don't think $800/mo will do it for the 6 series........

Old 04-04-2004, 11:48 AM
Sarcux
6th Gear
CTS-V... just because its uncommon and different. And that's coming from a guy that's not really a fan of American cars.

Old 04-05-2004, 01:36 PM
C4
Banned
If I were you, I would swing by my nearest Dodge dealer and check out the all new 2005 Dodge Magnum Sport Wagon. Very, very sweet looking car, RWD and available 350HP HEMI V8. I saw it a couple of weeks ago at the Ft Lauderdale, FL Int'l Auto Show and it looked terrific in person. It has a lot of Mercedes Benz technology in it.

The "base" Magnum starts at $22K and that is with a DOHC 3.5L V6 engine. If I were on the market for a station wagon, this would be it, plus it has more room, power and better looks than its pricier European competitors.

It seems to me the best "American" cars coming next year are from Daimler-Chrysler.

Check out the new '05 Magnum at:

http://www.dodge.com/magnum/index.ht...mp;type=promo2

Old 04-05-2004, 04:40 PM
pocketrocketowner
Banned

>>
>>
>>Check out the new '05 Magnum at:
>>
Cute, I was thinking along the same lines this PM as I drove past the Chrysler dealer. We are "looking" at the Audi A4.....did I hear the Pacifica has 4wd? This one doesn't seem too, nor does it have a manual gear box......sure is cute....or rather, good looking....PLUS IT HAS A HEMI!!!! (don't even need the bumper sticker then!)

Old 04-07-2004, 06:50 AM
IanF
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After you own a van for awhile, SUV's just look stupid. Too small, crappy mileage, boring... Name one vehicle that matches the utility of a big box on wheels? I'd have a tough time replacing my old conversion van for anything. Yeah, my friends make fun of me, but when it comes time to haul something big that you want to keep dry (or out of sight), who ya gonna call? :evil:

Old 04-07-2004, 07:33 AM
jsun
6th Gear
My freakin' minivan gets better mileage, can tow more, is much safer, is easier to enter/exit, and can carry much more inside than any similarly sized SUV (and that's most of them except the hysterically stupid Expeditions and Excursions). There is nothing practical or utilitarian about an SUV.

Oh, and it has AWD...so with snows, it'll go anyplace most people would try to take their SUVs.

Old 04-07-2004, 09:06 AM
sambusik
6th Gear
I must say that 05 Magnum is a pretty good looking car!

Old 04-07-2004, 09:41 AM
discodan
5th Gear
how about an Audi RS6? twin turbo V8 450 hp, 5 seater, AWD, tuneability.
i'd say thats a winner.

on the cheaper side i like the Infiniti G35x with the AWD. award winning V6 great handling, looks, and top rated service at the dealerships.

Old 04-07-2004, 10:29 AM
tsprayfhs
3rd Gear
Given the same choice My wife insisted on the v12 BMW. But also look at the Maso Quattroporte. Nice.

Motor on

Old 04-07-2004, 01:08 PM
pocketrocketowner
Banned
>>Given the same choice My wife insisted on the v12 BMW. But also look at the Maso Quattroporte. Nice.
>>
>>Motor on

I was actually getting keen on the Bentley myself but madame tresurer crushed it, want to go see her sister in chicago next month instead....

Old 04-08-2004, 04:29 PM
pocketrocketowner
Banned
>>As a family car, what do you suggest? SUV? Sedan? Specifically, which one? Thanks! :smile:
>>
Well, done done it.....traded away my old lover of 14 years, the ole Probe Turbo GT, veteran of seven wonderful years of head turning and German car scaring in autobahns, Autostradas, autopistas, carreteras interstates, state roads, backroads and autoroutes in Europe, Mexico, and the USA. Survivor of an encounter with a dog in northern Mexico at 120+ MPH and one of the funnest cars I ever owned......it just stranded me one too many times......I will now happily drive the 99 A4 Quattro into the ground while madam tresurer will tomorrow take possession of what will hopefully turn out to be a keeper, the Audi All Road 2.7T Wagon 6 speed. Mean machine.....and about a pretty a car as I have seen as of late.........almost went for the 325ix......the All road is another class though....no contest between the Bimmer and the A4 wagon....the bimmer all the way.....

Old 04-10-2004, 08:05 AM
rafthos
3rd Gear
Get a Honda Element. Very practical and versitile vehicle. I love my wife's Element. If if doesn't have enough power for you, they do make a NOS kit for it.

Old 04-10-2004, 10:06 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For those on a budget, the Protege5 was a really nice package for the price.
It lacks horsepower, but it makes it up with all the powered factory standard
feature. :smile:

Old 04-11-2004, 09:57 PM
zgokart
5th Gear
>>It seems to me the best "American" cars coming next year are from Daimler-Chrysler.
>>
>>
>>Check out the new '05 Magnum at:
>>
>>http://www.dodge.com/magnum/index.ht...mp;type=promo2

Old 04-12-2004, 01:50 AM
pocketrocketowner
Banned

>>________________
>>Same as the Chrysler Pacifica. This is a new breed of hybrid cross between a SUV and a station wagon.

Had a look at the Pacifica the other day.....practically a MINI......van.......not for me.....

Old 04-15-2004, 02:39 AM
BlueCooperS
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
>>Get a Honda Element. Very practical and versitile vehicle. I love my wife's Element. If if doesn't have enough power for you, they do make a NOS kit for it.

Quick Reply: MINI is way too small, need a second car!