Windshield replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 08:41 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No decision yet...

I had a few emails going with someone at the url I provided earlier, and while I was initially told that install directions are provided, when it came down to it (asking to see it beforehand), all I was provided was some maintenance sheet. I asked to see such because I learned that RTV needs to be used, not the usual adhesive...

I feel a little uncomfortable having a typical windshiled installer do this, unless I had specific instructions. I've contemplated doing it myself, but cringe at the idea of doing a poor job, and since it would be my first time, I would tend to expect that outcome...

I'm going to check with a few race shops in the area that would probably have experience with this procedure. The weight-savings is nice at 8 to 9 lbs I suppose, and this stuff will not crack! I've hit Lexan with a hammer, and it's impressive stuff. The cost is on the website... I recall around 200 or 300 something.

I've had this crack (over 1' long!) for almost 2 years... I have since gotten 2 more that are like 1 inch. I was in no rush because I wanted to make sure that a good solution was ready. Whether PPG, or Lexan, I'll make a decision soon.... With other projects, I remain in no major rush. If I go Lexan, I'll remember to share here.

Last edited by TonyB; 04-18-2007 at 08:43 PM.
Old 04-28-2007, 01:17 PM
DmOcRsI
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does anyone know where to obtain this PPG in the So Cal area?

Old 06-24-2007, 08:38 AM
rftucker
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can you send me an email to use your service? I am in San Diego.
dianetuck1@att.net

Old 07-17-2007, 08:04 AM
Group B
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by SandBagger
The tech from Don's said that most dealers order the OEM glass and then call in someone like them to do the install
then double the cost to the customer
IIRC Niello MINI does not install their own windshields (or rear side windows, rear hatch windows), they sublet them to a glass installer.

MINI of Concord installs all glass in-house.

Old 07-20-2007, 08:43 PM
retroom
4th Gear
I also had Safelite come to my workplace and replace my windshield. They broke one plastic side pillars, but ordered and paid for the replacement. They did a good job, no leaks or noise and nothing flying off after 1 year.

retroom

Old 09-15-2007, 05:13 AM
Johnna
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TonyB
Thanks SandBagger!

Is the PPG better because it is thicker? I don't think I ever heard as to what makes it less likely to form a crack... And if it is thicker, it is also heavier, but I'm guessing not much... Thanks again for sharing.
I can't say if the glass is thicker or possibly harder but I have had experience with both OEM and PPG windshields.

I went through several windshields on my '02 MC during the 65K miles that I owned it. The replacements were all done with OEM glass and all of them chipped up pretty easily. I even got one big chip on the way home from having the windshield replaced. They were free replacements so I didn't have much to complain about.

I just had my '05 windshield replaced after 30,000 miles. It was fairly pitted and had several largish rock pits. The new windshield is PPG rather than OEM and so far, I'm impressed with it. Yesterday, it got hit with 3/8" or so piece of gravel at 70 mph. Based on past experience with OEM glass, I fully expected to see a monster chip smack in the middle of my windshield. I was amazed to see that nothing much happened other than a tiny nick! Chalk me up as another vote for PPG windshields!

Old 09-15-2007, 09:04 AM
DmOcRsI
3rd Gear
I don't know if my windshield was PPG or not, but I finally got my windshield replaced from Safelite. They came to my house and everything.. Parts and Labor was $209.11

Old 10-29-2007, 09:54 PM
kmickey
3rd Gear
Follow up

I took LarryP's suggestion and took my car to John's European.
Awesome work. I highly recommend them.

Originally Posted by kmickey
I'm having Don's Mobile Glass replace my cracked and heavily pitted windshield with PPG glass.
I informed then about the MINIs little nuance of the 'A' pillar covers flying off and was told they offer a "lifetime warranty on the install".. so if the plastic pillar covers blow off, it will be covered under their "lifetime warranty".

Oh yea, my last windshield was replaced by a MINI dealer.
The 'A' pillar plastic covers (both sides) blew off on the freeway.
Of course it was warrantied by the dealer who replace them - they also left two (gorilla elbow size) dents on top of my roof! I'm not impressed with dealer installs, repairs and repairing their repairs over and over.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:05 PM
mini pooper
6th Gear
I just had my windshield replaced on the Pooper. 1st Class Auto Glass of Windsor did the job. They came to my office and did all the work right in my parking lot. They removed the cracked windshield and installed a new PPG windshield with rain-sensor. Total cost, material, labor, tax = $284.59 and it comes with a lifetime warranty.

I am so happy with the service that we talked them into hosting a detailing & windshield clinic, complete with a free lunch. Prices will be discounted from the price I paid.

Since this is "on-topic" I thought I'd throw in a plug for this event:

Windshield Replacement & Repair Day

January 19, 2008, 9am – 4pm
1st Class Auto Glass
7677 Bell Road, Suite 102-E
Windsor, CA 95492
(707) 836-9770
http://www.1stclassautoglass.com

Our newest club sponsor, 1st Class Auto Glass, will be hosting a BBQ lunch on Saturday, January 19, 2008 at their location, while they work on our cars.
Services offered will include windshield replacement or repair, paintless dent removal, and auto detailing. Their regular prices are extremely reasonable but they will be working out special prices for the REME membership for this event only. Prices will be posted shortly.
Please RSVP on the REME MegaBBS calendar so we can estimate the number for the BBQ, and email or call the sponsor to set up your appointment. Please post what you will be having done to your car on this thread as well.

This is your chance to remove the crappy soft OEM windshield at very reasonable cost… at about half of what dealerships charge. A regular windshield will cost under $250 installed and windshields with sensors will cost under $300.00 installed. Actual prices will be posted shortly.

Old 11-09-2007, 03:06 PM
DrkSlvrS
5th Gear
Please post pricing and, if possible, estimates to remove dents.

thanks,
T

Old 11-09-2007, 05:38 PM
zied
Coordinator :: Redwood Empire Mini Enthusiasts
T, you should watch the Redwood Empire Mini Enthusiasts NAM thread and the REME MegaBBS. Updated information will be posted there. Redundant information may or may not be posted here.

Last edited by zied; 11-09-2007 at 05:41 PM.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:32 PM
mini pooper
6th Gear
Here is an update on "package" pricing for Windshield Replacement and Detailing. Chip removals are $37.50 for the 1st chip & $10 for extra chips. Should be a paintless dent removal guy there as well. Plus a free lunch, music and fun.....Call them and set your appointment fo Jan 19, 2008:

1 st Class Auto Glass & Detail
Exclusive Redwood Empire Mini Enthusiasts Pricing Only
Please reference our pricing and detailing accommodations online @ www.1stclassautoglass.com
707-836-9770

1st Class Auto Glass and Detail would like to start off by saying Thank You to Mr. Norman Nelson & Mr. Peter Ziedrich for providing the opportunity to service your organization and provide 1st Class services at extremely affordable pricing. We look forward to seeing all of you that sign up and make the venture!

Pricing for detailing as well as auto glass has been discounted exclusively for R.E.M.E. and follows. Please read the complete explanation and feel free to call us if there might be anything of question. We provide brand new PPG auto glass with a lifetime warranty. Please also check if your insurance covers your new windshield. It might not cost you a dime and cannot affect your rates!!! We take care of all the insurance paperwork on-site! The following pricing is only available on 1/19/2007. The prices reflected both on this flier as well as on our web page are current and discounts will not be granted before or after the above mentioned date! Two different discount options are being extended and are as follows.

[Option 1.) You may purchase either a new windshield or detailing package individually but the discount rate is set at 10% for either one. So if you purchase a new windshield for the new generation Mini (w/ sensor) we usually charge $267.00 + tax. With the 10% discount it becomes $240.30+ tax. A platinum detailing package is usually $197.00 + tax. With the exclusive R.E.M.E. discount it is now $177.30. Please check our web site for further detailing options.

Option 2.) Now here is the money saver, get both and save more. Even if your windshield isn’t cracked or chipped, odds are that it is pitted and distorted. Get a new windshield and a platinum detailing package (example, you can pick another detailing package) and get them both for $394.40 + tax. That’s a savings of $69.60 or 15%

Reservations for our services on January 19th are limited. Food, music and an all around good time will be had. A paint-less dent removal company might be on site as well but details are still being worked out and updates will follow. Chip repairs and specific detailing work that is not listed on our web page can and will be accommodated with the direct approval of pricing by Barry. Give us a call and leave it to us and trust that 1st Class Auto Glass & Detail will take superior care of you and your vehicle!

Old 11-28-2007, 01:44 PM
mini pooper
6th Gear
There have been several questions raised on this thread and others. Here are some of the answers I got: (note I have done some editing and redacting)

1.) The new PPG windshields are exactly like stock in appearance and black bands are the same as well

2.) Safelite does not include the new rain sensor, in fact the mounting bracket that is plastic on the windshield is new. The sensor itself has two release tabs that you loosen and re seat on the new windshield. There is no company besides Mini that you can get the actual rain sensor from.

3.) As far as the pillar covers go, they do not have to be replaced and there is a process that we do in order to save them. We have done numerous Mini's and have had only one break.

4.) As far as the tint in the upper section of the windshield, unfortunately no there is no option to purchase a new one with the tint built in. According to the manufactures specs they cannot tint them by law due to the fact that the windshield is not very tall from top to bottom therefore tinting them would make them technically illegal. .......................

5.) Sungate!!! They are so obviously a chromed blue that they are obvious police getters. Thus the reason my friend will be on site that day as well. Gray or black tints are available.

6.) VIN plate (tape) you are correct that is an area that takes even more care and they way that the glue (urethane) is shot in that area. On the Mini's, the tip of the urethane gun has a screw on plastic tip that we cut into an appropriate "v" notch. This format assures that the glue will not be excessive and create such issues. These cars can be tricky but experience and care is what we are all about.

Thanks,

Barry

Last edited by mini pooper; 11-28-2007 at 01:46 PM.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:02 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm getting my windshield replaced tomorrow down here in Fresno. Just want to warn everyone that many times, well most times, when a windshield is replaced the little black clips that are used break. Then if the repair shop dosen't have them, they will just glue everything back together, without you knowing it. You should ask to see if they have the OEM clips with them, you might want them to show you them, before they start the job. I'm having them do mine at my mechanics shop so they can keep an eye on them while they do it. Plus they have the clips in stock . FYI.

Old 12-05-2007, 04:24 PM
zied
Coordinator :: Redwood Empire Mini Enthusiasts
This is what our windshield repair guy sent me after I forwarded your concern:

We have approx. 100 of those clips in stock! I read this e-mail and had one of my guys invintory those clips. We are all 100% approved with mini and BMW to do the work on these cars. Please feel free to contact me with anymore concerns or questions. Thanks again!

Old 12-05-2007, 04:39 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by zied
This is what our windshield repair guy sent me after I forwarded your concern:

We have approx. 100 of those clips in stock! I read this e-mail and had one of my guys invintory those clips. We are all 100% approved with mini and BMW to do the work on these cars. Please feel free to contact me with anymore concerns or questions. Thanks again!
Thats great that they have them. We are so far away from a Mini dealer, that they, Minis, are kind of still a novelty here, which I like .

Old 04-09-2010, 06:19 PM
irenewhite
Neutral
Hey,
I know one site who will help you AND give this type of services.
I suggest you should try or visit this site.
I am saying this because I have also used this site.
So, Try this one
Best of Luck