New York/New England New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine

2010 Mini ignition bypass...bought a wreck without key fob!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 05:01 PM
BorderDrop
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 Mini ignition bypass...bought a wreck without key fob!

Too make a long story short I just bought a 2010 Mini turbo convertible that was hit in the front end. The drivers air bag deployed and the car was totaled by the insurance company..it was sold for parts only. The insurance company windshield sticker indicates that it had 25,000 miles...and had keys at one time...I bought it at auction as is. Would like to at least get the odometer reading but getting it started would be best to sell the drive-line. Looking at the wheels, brake/rotors and lack of rust I believe it's a 25K (mileage) car.

Pulled the turbo heat shields off to inspect for any damage and see none...was surprised that the air bag deployed since the damage doesn't look that bad?

I'm sure some flags will go up but I honestly don't want to spend a lot of money via a dealer for a key if the car can be started via a bypass. Have done it on GM OBD1 and OBD2 cars...but have no idea how the Mini keyless system works.

Thanks

Old 10-21-2017, 09:37 AM
valvashon
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Pretty sure there is no way to bypass the MINI EWS/Immobilizer system. It's why a MINI is very hard to steal. Unless the EWS/Immobilizer sees the chip in the key, it won't start. Try MINI of Peabody, they sell parts- including keys- for much cheaper than your local dealer. You'll need to provide a copy of your ID and proof of ownership. They order it via the VIN and it should arrive ready to go.

The following users liked this post:
BorderDrop (10-22-2017)
Old 10-22-2017, 09:20 AM
BorderDrop
Neutral
Thanks valvashon...wow..this car is really tough to get any support questioned answered. I was able to at least locate the starter solenoid connector on the firing wall, supplying power to the white wire at least turns the engine over. Wish I had a schematic of the ignition system just understand how it functions. For example GM VATS will allow the car to start but shuts fuel down in a couple of seconds if the passkey resistance is incorrect. This is my first experience without an actual key so now I'm dealing with (2) non-mechanical ignition barriers.

Anyway...from looking at my paperwork it is a 25K (mileage) 16 valve turbo car..just listed it on the Albany NY craigslist for parts/trades.

Thanks again

Old 10-22-2017, 10:15 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
Once you get the key, there's a little song and dance you have to go thru to initialize it/introduce the key to the car, so they can work together.
Insert the key and turn it to the first click, remove it, hold down the unlock button and press the lock button three times. You will hear the doors lock and unlock telling you it's ready to go.

BorderDrop (10-22-2017)
Old 10-22-2017, 10:36 AM
BorderDrop
Neutral
Not going to bother with buying another fob etc....it turns over fine so I'll just part it out or make a package deal. Thanks for the reply,

Sure wouldn't mind a wiring diagram for the drivers door so I can manually power the window up.

Old 10-22-2017, 02:46 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
BorderDrop (10-22-2017)
Old 10-22-2017, 06:39 PM
BorderDrop
Neutral
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher

Thanks...I found a video and removed the door panel and just jumped the window regulator...so the window is now closed.

From your link the following information is what I was interested in understanding...Thanks!

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/r...-start/XdQEYVa