Navigation & Audio ??? on MINI Connected

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 03:33 AM
14PacemanS
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
??? on MINI Connected

I have a Mini on order. I know that the Mini Connected package is geared toward the iPhone.

Anybody using the Samsung Galaxy S4 or S3 with it? I would like to have access t0 all the connected package offers. Trying to decide which phone to upgrade to, never really been a fan of the iPhones. Is the iPhone the only way to go with the Mini Connected Package?

Old 08-15-2013, 04:44 AM
ASKtheteach
5th Gear
Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
I don't have Connected in my Countryman, but from what I understand from people who do have it, it is meant to work with the iPhone. I've heard that BMW is planning to add Android support for their version in the future, but I'm not sure if that will apply to MINI too.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:04 AM
SuperGreg
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 14PacemanS
I have a Mini on order. I know that the Mini Connected package is geared toward the iPhone.

Anybody using the Samsung Galaxy S4 or S3 with it? I would like to have access t0 all the connected package offers. Trying to decide which phone to upgrade to, never really been a fan of the iPhones. Is the iPhone the only way to go with the Mini Connected Package?
Yup, just iPhone, no android support.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:00 PM
14PacemanS
2nd Gear
That sucks!!! I will have to learn to like the iPhone. Good for Apple though.

Old 08-16-2013, 03:34 AM
14PacemanS
2nd Gear
Since I will be forced to go with the iPhone to get all that Mini connected offers, which is better....iPhone 4 or 5?

Seems that the 5 may have some issues with the system. So would it be better to just go with the 4?

Old 08-16-2013, 03:59 AM
Camthewookie
3rd Gear
MINI hasn't released a lightning cable yet, so if you have a 5 you have to use an adapter. Other than that, most everything works fine for me. All of the Connected apps work over the cable. The only thing i have had an issue with so far is when I'm using Spotify over the cable connection the track skip forward/back controls don't work but it works fine over Bluetooth. It seems that Spotify isn't big on working with OEMs to incorporate their app (or vice versa). I don't think this is an iPhone 4 vs 5 problem though.

Old 08-16-2013, 01:03 PM
14PacemanS
2nd Gear
Thanks for the info....that helps. Now it's just a matter of how much I want to spend for the 4 or 5. Only about a $100 difference, but that's $499 vs $599....ouch

Old 08-16-2013, 03:08 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Old 08-16-2013, 03:32 PM
SuperGreg
6th Gear
Thanks for the info....that helps. Now it's just a matter of how much I want to spend for the 4 or 5. Only about a $100 difference, but that's $499 vs $599....ouch
If you can wait a few weeks, I have a perfect iPhone 4S that I will sell you for $400. It's brand new since I just got a replacement for a broken screen. I'll buy the new iPhone, and you can buy this one. One more thing, I'll also sell you my snap in adapter for $175.

Not a bad deal right?

Mine is a 16GB white btw, and it's Verizon.

Old 08-16-2013, 04:29 PM
etidd01
4th Gear
I think motoringfile.com said an iPhone 5 cable was coming either at the end of August or September.

I'm going to try running connected tomorrow using my iPad (I don't have a smartphone)...not the most convenient, but going for a long drive and will be a good opportunity to see what it can do.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:04 PM
14PacemanS
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by SuperGreg
If you can wait a few weeks, I have a perfect iPhone 4S that I will sell you for $400. It's brand new since I just got a replacement for a broken screen. I'll buy the new iPhone, and you can buy this one. One more thing, I'll also sell you my snap in adapter for $175.

Not a bad deal right?

Mine is a 16GB white btw, and it's Verizon.

Definitely waiting a few weeks or more. My Paceman isn't even built yet, just trying to be ready for when it gets here!!

Thanks for the offer, but I'm not on Verizon. I'm a Cricket user(1 of the 5 they have). So unless yours can be unlocked and used with Cricket, it won't work for me.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:02 PM
pyrrhusmj
4th Gear
I'd go with the 4S (I have a 5 now) The 5 works well, but you lose out on the analog video with the 5. There are some hacks that allow you to watch video in motion (if legal in your area) and also replicate the phone screen including Nav etc. The lack of analog video out on the 5 kinda ruined some of the hacks. If none of the video functions interest you, then the 5 is a great phone.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:03 PM
pyrrhusmj
4th Gear
Originally Posted by etidd01
I think motoringfile.com said an iPhone 5 cable was coming either at the end of August or September.

I'm going to try running connected tomorrow using my iPad (I don't have a smartphone)...not the most convenient, but going for a long drive and will be a good opportunity to see what it can do.
I do use my iPad 2 for video.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:12 PM
14PacemanS
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by pyrrhusmj
I'd go with the 4S (I have a 5 now) The 5 works well, but you lose out on the analog video with the 5. There are some hacks that allow you to watch video in motion (if legal in your area) and also replicate the phone screen including Nav etc. The lack of analog video out on the 5 kinda ruined some of the hacks. If none of the video functions interest you, then the 5 is a great phone.

Good feedback...thank you. I'll probably go 5, for some reason I'm always drawn to the latest & greatest

Old 08-16-2013, 08:56 PM
Miniology
1st Gear
Apple and Mini/BMW work very closely on this project. Apple even has a Mini dashboard test system in engineering so they can test Mini hardware and apps with their products.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:16 PM
14PacemanS
2nd Gear
So those who have gone thru the upgrades from 4 to 4S to 5.... which do you recommend to a NEW iPhone user? Is the 5 that much greater than the 4S? Other than larger screen, thinner and lighter, are there any other differences that would make you go with the 5 over the 4S now that you have used them all?

Trying to decide which one is the best for me to get, don't really have any knowledge with the iPhones.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:21 PM
Miniology
1st Gear
If you can wait a few weeks, the new iPhone will be out very soon. New model means lower prices on older iPhones, including free ones. iPhone 5 has the best camera. The new iOS has some goodies that won't run on the 4.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:58 PM
14PacemanS
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Miniology
If you can wait a few weeks, the new iPhone will be out very soon. New model means lower prices on older iPhones, including free ones. iPhone 5 has the best camera. The new iOS has some goodies that won't run on the 4.
I can wait, just trying to get all the info I can. So I take it the new iPhone won't be plug and play with Connected just like the 5. Right now that is the positive of going with 4S, the cradles work. I know MINI is supposed to release a cradle for the 5 any day now, but not counting on it. Seems to keep getting delayed from what I keep reading. Is the 5 really SO MUCH BETTER than the 4S? Would I be disappointed in choosing the 4S, then playing with someone else's 5 would make me feel inferior?

Geeze, life sucks having to make this decision over a stupid phone
It's just a phone(I keep trying to remind myself of that)

Old 08-19-2013, 03:02 PM
SuperGreg
6th Gear

I can wait, just trying to get all the info I can. So I take it the new iPhone won't be plug and play with Connected just like the 5. Right now that is the positive of going with 4S, the cradles work. I know MINI is supposed to release a cradle for the 5 any day now, but not counting on it. Seems to keep getting delayed from what I keep reading. Is the 5 really SO MUCH BETTER than the 4S? Would I be disappointed in choosing the 4S, then playing with someone else's 5 would make me feel inferior?

Geeze, life sucks having to make this decision over a stupid phone
It's just a phone(I keep trying to remind myself of that)
The 4s is a great phone. Still have mine. The biggest thing the 5 has is a larger screen.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:30 PM
Miniology
1st Gear
The new iOS coming out in Sept. has some new thing called iOS in the car, or similar. Should provide better connectivity with Mini's.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:44 PM
SuperGreg
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Miniology
The new iOS coming out in Sept. has some new thing called iOS in the car, or similar. Should provide better connectivity with Mini's.
We don't know if iOS in the car will even work with MINI's. I would expect that feature to require new hardware etc...
I have not seen MINI pop up anywhere in the potential car brands involved. Please share if you have.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:01 PM
14PacemanS
2nd Gear
What about this new iOS7 I've been reading about on Apple's site? It says that it will work with the 4, 4S and 5. So I assume there is a way to update the ones with iOS6 or change the software completely. Any info you have on this?

Old 08-19-2013, 04:26 PM
SuperGreg
6th Gear
What about this new iOS7 I've been reading about on Apple's site? It says that it will work with the 4, 4S and 5. So I assume there is a way to update the ones with iOS6 or change the software completely. Any info you have on this?
Ios7 will work on the 4s, but airdrop will not.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:08 PM
14PacemanS
2nd Gear
Thanks for your input....thinking 4S is probably the way to go. Still have to debate/gather info as my car will not be here until Sept. Just want to be prepped and ready to Motor!!

Old 08-19-2013, 09:38 PM
mrgentleminh
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
so if you have an iphone 5, you can use the lightning to 30 pin adapter and it'll work??

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio ??? on MINI Connected