Navigation & Audio Sad about the Nav/Connected

Old 06-05-2011, 07:46 AM
TPBC
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sad about the Nav/Connected

Hi everyone. I'm really sad the availability of Nav or Connected equipped cars on the ground is limited. I've found 1 or 2. However, the rules of supply and demand come into play. The dealers are not willing to negotiate with those precious jems I know I have to be willing to pay the price if this is what I want. Just want everyone's input.

I do a lot of driving for work and have been blessed with a bad sense of direction . The majority of the cars I've owned have had the factory Nav systems in them and I'm hesitant to use the portable units. I love the car and I'm not really wanting to wait until ??? September ( I'm not very patient )

So, I'm trying to convince myself that I should try a Garmin with some sort of mount. I've only seen one picture of a CM with a small portable Garmin Unit mounted with an arm from Craven. Does anyone have pics of their portable GPS setup (maybe one with a larger nav screen)? Thanks in advance.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:57 AM
onefish2
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I do not have a CM but what is wrong with getting a permanent mount for a GPS and hard wiring it like this:

Or like I have it now with a TomTom for iPhone GPS adapter:

Old 06-05-2011, 09:08 AM
mjgood
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I did the same with my CM, I have Connected but no Nav.. I also got the Ecoroute HD for the Nuvi which displays vehicle info like the scan gauage on the GPS..

Attached Thumbnails Sad about the Nav/Connected-img_1401.jpg  
Old 06-05-2011, 09:19 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by TPBC
Hi everyone. I'm really sad the availability of Nav or Connected equipped cars on the ground is limited. I've found 1 or 2. However, the rules of supply and demand come into play. The dealers are not willing to negotiate with those precious jems I know I have to be willing to pay the price if this is what I want. Just want everyone's input.

I do a lot of driving for work and have been blessed with a bad sense of direction . The majority of the cars I've owned have had the factory Nav systems in them and I'm hesitant to use the portable units. I love the car and I'm not really wanting to wait until ??? September ( I'm not very patient )

So, I'm trying to convince myself that I should try a Garmin with some sort of mount. I've only seen one picture of a CM with a small portable Garmin Unit mounted with an arm from Craven. Does anyone have pics of their portable GPS setup (maybe one with a larger nav screen)? Thanks in advance.
The factory NAV is made in Japan......having you been reading the papers ?

Old 06-05-2011, 09:43 AM
TPBC
1st Gear
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
The factory NAV is made in Japan......having you been reading the papers ?
Wow! I'm new to this forum and to Mini. I joined this forum for support and advice. I didn't think I would get this type of response. Thanks

Old 06-05-2011, 09:45 AM
TPBC
1st Gear
OneFish2 and mjgood thanks for posting pics!! How difficult was it to install and hardwire?

Old 06-05-2011, 11:14 AM
Rktcyntst
4th Gear
I think your decision is going to be driven on if you're one that prefers a completely integrated look, or if you like the look of those with the aftermarket brackets.

From everything I've read on this site, Connected and Nav aren't necessarily living up to the hype and there are plenty of disappointed users. On the flip side, there are many happy with the unit. I think it depends on your expectations. It is what it is. Nav is easily outcompeted by standalone units when it comes to pure nav functionality - no text to speech on street names and not as refined map displays. Connected seems to be of value to those with iPhones as long as you have the correct cable or version of iphone.

Is it worth the $1700 for an integrated unit? You need to decide that for yourself, but that's a lot of coin that you can get a superior nav unit, an aftermarket BT solution, 3 months worth of gas, or more cash to throw an you-i-fying your ride. One thing that connected does have is BT audio. You can stream music from your audio device w/ connected, but I don't believe that comfort bluetooth allows this - just phone conversations (someone here that actually has one will correct me - forums are good for that sort of thing)

As for me, I'm going to splurge and get connected with nav. I don't have an iphone (droid user) and my phone's got always up to date google nav that's got even better nav SW than dedicated units - but it's still a phone and that sometimes gets in the way of being a great nav (receive a phone call while you're navigating and you'll know what I mean). So you're probably thinking, why spend that money there? I personally prefer the integrated unit and I'm hopeful that since connected is SW running on a HW platform, SW can always be upgraded - as long as the manufacturer finds it profitable to do so. The million dollar question is 'will it get upgraded by MINI?'

Good luck with your decision and you'll get as many recommendations as there are people on here. If you're looking for nav or connected and are willing to wait, my MA updated me yesterday that orders for 2012s go in near the end of the month with production starting in July and delivery in September.

Welcome to the forum. I've not been here long either, but there's a wealth of info to be had from 'touch' users that make decisions for folks like us (non CM owners - at least not yet) a lot more informed!

Old 06-05-2011, 11:48 AM
BoCRon
6th Gear
To ease your mind, the factory NAV is good, but I was just as happy, if not happier with my Garmin in my '06. There are some great mounting options out there, do a few searches on here and on Google/Yahoo and I think you will find some really nice ones. The MINI NAV that I have in my '11 is not as intuitive as my Garmin was. You know how on a Garmin if you decide to take a different route then it suggests, it will tell you that you need to Uturn to get you back on track, but if you don't it says "Recalculating" and starts navigating from where you are now, well, the MINI Nav does NOT do that, it spends like 20 minutes telling you to take a U turn to get you back to the way it did the route. I think you have to finally turn off the Nav and then reenter your destination from where you are to get a new route. I have multiple options to get to one of the major expressways near me, but depending on the time of day I may take a much longer way, but one with no traffic, if need be. The annoying MINI Nav never gets the clue!
Don't get me wrong, now that I've had the system for a bit I have learned these little tricks, but one shouldn't have to learn the tricks at all!
Annette

Old 06-05-2011, 11:49 AM
WMW
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Waiting.......

I agree Rkycyntst. It has been almost 6 weeks since I gave a deposit on an All4.
I have bluetooth audio in my current vehicle with an android phone. It is great for music or streaming radio stations with talk, sports, etc. I ordered connect with GPS. I travel a lot for business and use a portable Garmin. I have over a hundred contacts saved and will install a permanent mount for it...thanks to the people who posted pictures. I still will order the factory GPS. My thinking was for another $750 since I was getting connect...makes sense.
I am not real happy about waiting but summers always go quick, and hopefully September will be a reality. I also think that I would rather have a 2012 then a 2011 that was made the last days of production in 2011.
I will say the longer I wait the more I question buying a vehicle that 25% of the costs are in options, that does not have a spare tire, and a gas tank that most would say is too small....

Old 06-05-2011, 01:42 PM
Rktcyntst
4th Gear
Originally Posted by WMW
I will say the longer I wait the more I question buying a vehicle that 25% of the costs are in options, that does not have a spare tire, and a gas tank that most would say is too small....
Yeah, me too. Then I remember the test ride with the kids giggling in the back seat, my 4YO daughter insisting that we not get back in my car to go back home but to take the CM instead and recalling that I had a stupid grin on my face the entire time I was rolling around - even when completely stopped stuck in traffic!

I didn't think my wife would even entertain getting one based on the same things you bring up. Then she saw a picture and said that if it's what I'd like, then go for it. She has yet to test drive one, but stepped through the configurator with me and insisted on connected/nav for the look since she's sick of the bean bag on the dash for nav. That and a bench seat were her inputs to green light the purchase. Not keen on the bench, but if that's what it takes, then so be it.

Old 06-05-2011, 01:53 PM
docfink
2nd Gear
Be patient--I know it's hard. Get what you want. I think integrated navs make sense, and I have a portable one too. The Garmin is great when traveling and renting cars, but no matter how nice the newer portable's features and graphics are, it's nice to have integrated nav systems in your DD.

Waiting for what you want is worth it. Making the MINI yours is what separates its from other cars, and makes the expensive options worthwhile, IMO.

Old 06-05-2011, 01:59 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
OneFish2 and mjgood thanks for posting pics!! How difficult was it to install and hardwire?
Its very easy to do. If I can can do it anyone can.

Old 06-05-2011, 02:10 PM
mini_z
3rd Gear
The CM nav not worth it, I have it but started to used my potable one.

Old 06-05-2011, 02:47 PM
JudgeS
6th Gear
I've used every kind of Nav, and have to say the factory nav is 100x more convenient and better to have than anything else. IMHO If you park anywhere that you have to worry about someone stealing a portable unit it makes it almost useless, as it will sit hidden in your glove compartment 90% of the time, as you won't want to be bothered to take it out every time. As for phone units the display is to small, and they do not get good reception at all. I have Navigon for the iPhone and it's barely usable, IMHO. Not to mention either of those options look ugly, might not be a big deal, but wires and brackets do not look good. The factory system is beautiful, the large screen is better than any portable unit, and you will use it every day, and not worry about getting stolen, and having to put it away. Now it certainly not perfect and misses a few features you get in a portable unit, but I like using my Nav for GPS and mapping, as I rarely need or listen to directions, and find those features far more important, and the factory unit does both beautifully. I couldn't imagine getting the car without it.

Old 06-05-2011, 04:01 PM
jerseygirl680
2nd Gear
Hi! Misery loves company.
I ordered and put a deposit on my Countryman 3 weeks ago, and was then advised that the connected w/ nav was holding up my order because there are some current problems getting some of the parts from Japan. I could have just let it go through w/o those features, but I was afraid I'd be sorry later. So, I told my MA to just hold on to my deposit and keep trying to put the order in to the system until it finally accepts it. I was already prepared to wait 6-8 weeks...what's another month? At least, in the end I'll be getting exactly what I want and it will be worth it. Patience is a virtue, or so says my Mom.
Good luck with your decision!

Old 06-05-2011, 10:49 PM
John Richard
3rd Gear
My view is that the factory nav with real time traffic updates is well worth the cost. There are a few apps available for the iPhone that are great, but not as much as something integrated into and specifically designed for the car. I use mine daily and would be "lost" without it.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:48 AM
mjgood
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
TPBC....

I don't think the pics I put in my reply worked so here they are with a brief description of how I ran the cable for the GPS....

There is a pocket just behind the cigarette lighter, inside that pocket it is open on the top.
I ran the cord up and to the left, then behind the lower part of the dash (where the start button is) then up to where the steering column goes into the dash right behind the tachometer.
Just to the left of the climate control you will need to gently pry the plastic to make room to pass the cord through.

There are only a couple of inches of exposed cable, which is hidden by the tachometer. That part of the cable has the traffic receiver in it, which works out well for reception. The cable is essentially hidden from view....

Attached Thumbnails Sad about the Nav/Connected-img_1423.jpg   Sad about the Nav/Connected-img_1424.jpg   Sad about the Nav/Connected-img_1425.jpg  
Old 06-06-2011, 04:20 PM
iconoclast6
2nd Gear
I have the factory Nav with Mini Connected. Mini Connected
has yet to reach its potential without the cradle being available.
In so far as the Nav...don't waste your money. I've been using the
Tom-Tom app in their gps cradle with my iPod or iPhone instead of my factory Nav because its far superior in one crucial aspect...it announces street names.
Despite its integration with Mini Connected, etc. the absence of this
basic feature makes the factory Nav useless and I'm sorry I ordered it.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:36 PM
docfink
2nd Gear
Cool All the nav haters make me laugh...

Originally Posted by iconoclast6
the absence of this
The fact it doesn't announce street names makes it useless? Are you kidding me?

Folks, the nav/connected system is great. Can you find separate pieces that work better? Definitely. Are there better INTEGRATED systems for your MINI that are NOT from MINI? Definitely not.

YMMV, but why are your expectations so high anyway? It is what it is, and I'm sure it will get better. For the average person, it works great, fulfills its purposes, and offers some fun (and some useless) features.

I suggest that people who complain about the nav they purchased enjoy the MINi and stop whining about unnecessary options.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:05 PM
Lightyr
3rd Gear
Just got a call from my MA; My CM with connected and nav and auto is in production. Ordered it around May 1. Starting to look at new sunglasses now.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:23 PM
camminich
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Lightyr
Just got a call from my MA; My CM with connected and nav and auto is in production. Ordered it around May 1. Starting to look at new sunglasses now.
Well very good news indeed. Has the OL updated?

Old 06-06-2011, 05:26 PM
mini_z
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by docfink
The fact it doesn't announce street names makes it useless? Are you kidding me?

Folks, the nav/connected system is great. Can you find separate pieces that work better? Definitely. Are there better INTEGRATED systems for your MINI that are NOT from MINI? Definitely not.

YMMV, but why are your expectations so high anyway? It is what it is, and I'm sure it will get better. For the average person, it works great, fulfills its purposes, and offers some fun (and some useless) features.

I suggest that people who complain about the nav they purchased enjoy the MINi and stop whining about unnecessary options.

Yes its useless, Make turn in 800' there are 3 streets within 800' I have to watch the screen were to make it. Sometimes its show that my car is off the road, ( that i am driving between two roads)

Old 06-06-2011, 06:11 PM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Originally Posted by iconoclast6
I've been using the
Tom-Tom app in their gps cradle with my iPod or iPhone instead of my factory Nav because its far superior in one crucial aspect...it announces street names.
Despite its integration with Mini Connected, etc. the absence of this
OMG I was thinking the exact same thing today. I was heading over to Way Motor Works and thought I would try using the Google send to Car for fun. Luckily I already know how to get to Way's place as I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have found it with the NAV. Like you said, it says to turn in 700 feet, what? I mean I'm ok at guessing distances, but when you are traveling at 45mph and there are multiple streets right together, I guess you just have to guess which one to try.
Every portable nav system I've had has at a bare minimum announced street names, even if slightly mispronounced, at least you know it when you see it. Even the cheapo ones from 5-6 years ago had that ability. They also had the ability to load in a "home" destination which is very useful and seems like a pretty obvious thing to want in a nav unit.

Annette

Old 06-06-2011, 06:15 PM
Lightyr
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by camminich
Well very good news indeed. Has the OL updated?
Not yet.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:29 PM
iconoclast6
2nd Gear
Originally from Docfink:

Actually Docfink, this forum is about sharing information concerning the cars and accessories we have or would like to have. Your suggestion that we refrain from posting information that is contrary to your experience and opinion is simply out of bounds and juvenile.

For those like me, who value that street names be announced, this is an obvious safety factor in using a Nav system. Had I known in advance, I would have loved to save or spend $$ elsewhere. If the Nav works to your expectations that great for you. Clearly. its an issue that would have never mattered with a few lines of code in the Nav chip.

I do have to hand it to Mini for pushing the integration envelope, but until a working cradle is available, Mini-Connected isn't returning the value of what we've already paid for. Net-net though, most of us aren't thinking of returning out CM's over these issues. I love mine...!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio Sad about the Nav/Connected