Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Bluetooth for MINI Cooper/Cooper S w/Nav completed

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 07:58 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tom @ eas
Not necessarily, check the part number on your ULF to be sure. BMW still sells the 1st Generation ULFs over the counter due to a parts freeze.
Tom - I'm not sure where it was installed, because it was installed by the dealer, although I'm sure they installed it in the "official" place according to the retrofit instructions, whereever that is. I did take pictures of all the parts (including the ULF) before it was instaleld, but the pictures are a bit blurry and the text on the label is hard to make out.

Is there any way to determine the information from the interface?

Old 02-11-2007, 08:04 PM
tom @ eas
Banned
Originally Posted by Edge
Tom - I'm not sure where it was installed, because it was installed by the dealer, although I'm sure they installed it in the "official" place according to the retrofit instructions, whereever that is. I did take pictures of all the parts (including the ULF) before it was instaleld, but the pictures are a bit blurry and the text on the label is hard to make out.

Is there any way to determine the information from the interface?
Only through the part number on the ULF. I'm positive you have a 1st Generation 552 module which ended production in 6/03 or something completely different.

Old 02-11-2007, 08:48 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Edge
I can't speak to other locations, but yes I believe it's quite a bit of work to mount the microphone up there. One of the main issues is that the inside A-pillar covers are a "breakaway" design. Once you pull it off, the clip breaks, and you have to buy an entirely new pillar cover. At least, that's my understanding of it. If I'm correct, it's kinda stupid that they didn't design it to be removed and replaced.
FWIW, I routed the power cable for my V1 under the A pillar, and it's not an issue - you just don't pull off the cover to run the wire. It's easy enough just to tuck the wire underneath the front edge of the cover (I used a small screwdriver) and run the wire down the edge of the dash.

Old 02-12-2007, 01:55 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
WOW, $849 is quite a chunk of change. I was hoping for a NAV solution, but I guess I will be sticking with my Parrot solution for now.

Old 02-15-2007, 11:21 AM
KPMINI
4th Gear
I have a question about the phones being used with this system. Can any phone with bluetoth be used. If not way is that? Thanks

- KP

Old 02-15-2007, 12:00 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by KPMINI
I have a question about the phones being used with this system. Can any phone with bluetoth be used. If not way is that? Thanks
Any phone that supports the Bluetooth features necessary. It's not a limitation of the car kit, it's a limitation of the phone. Bluetooth isn't a simple "yes/no" setup. There are different "profiles" of Bluetooth (i.e. features) that are in the specification, but not all Bluetooth equipment supports all profiles.

Most obvious example - a Bluetooth phone might support the "Headset Profile" for bluetooth earpieces, but NOT the "Hands-Free Profile", which is necessary for car operation.

So don't blame the kit, blame the phone provider if it doesn't work!

(Note: There may be other profiles necessary too for full operation, including the ability to transfer the phone book to the car kit - the hands-free profile was just one example)

Old 02-16-2007, 08:56 AM
KPMINI
4th Gear
What would be the best way to test a phone with a device like this. I do have a bluetooth enabled phone, however, do not now if this particular phone will work. Any ideas since it is not the kit it is the phone?
Thank you for your help.

- KP

Old 02-16-2007, 10:41 AM
tom @ eas
Banned
Originally Posted by KPMINI
What would be the best way to test a phone with a device like this. I do have a bluetooth enabled phone, however, do not now if this particular phone will work. Any ideas since it is not the kit it is the phone?
Thank you for your help.

- KP
What Carrier/Model phone do you have?

Old 02-16-2007, 02:53 PM
KPMINI
4th Gear
What Carrier/Model phone do you have?
PM Sent

Happy Motoring.

- KP

Old 02-18-2007, 08:37 PM
caminifan
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not yet - we will have pricing announced for non-Nav in 1 week.
Bump. One week is up (not trying to be a wiseass; more along the lines of curiousity overwhelming... ).

Old 02-18-2007, 08:46 PM
tom @ eas
Banned
Originally Posted by caminifan
Bump. One week is up (not trying to be a wiseass; more along the lines of curiousity overwhelming... ).
We're working out the final details as we speak. I'll start a new thread as soon as we're ready to release the new info.

Old 03-04-2007, 12:00 PM
caminifan
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We're working out the final details as we speak. I'll start a new thread as soon as we're ready to release the new info.
Tom, where is the new thread? It has been 2 weeks, now.... Curiosity overwhelms....

Old 03-04-2007, 03:52 PM
tom @ eas
Banned
Originally Posted by caminifan
Tom, where is the new thread? It has been 2 weeks, now.... Curiosity overwhelms....
We're adding some final tweaks to the system, as well as well as a couple of new options to the non-NAV kits. We're going to make sure this is 100% functional and easy to install before making claims.

Thanks for your patience, we will have a kit very shortly.

Old 03-07-2007, 11:15 PM
MiniPlay
3rd Gear
Does the caller ID information show up on the NAV screen?

On my BMW the information shows up on my MID in the instrumentation cluster.

Old 03-07-2007, 11:17 PM
MiniPlay
3rd Gear
FAKRA Antenna and cable - what does the antenna look like?

Do you have a install PDF guide available somewhere to review to see if this is a do it yourself that I can do or not?

Old 03-07-2007, 11:20 PM
COR BLMY
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniPlay

Do you have a install PDF guide available somewhere to review to see if this is a do it yourself that I can do or not?

My 2 questions as well

Old 03-08-2007, 10:49 AM
tom @ eas
Banned
Does the caller ID information show up on the NAV screen?

On my BMW the information shows up on my MID in the instrumentation cluster.
Phone number or name will show up on the NAV screen when an incoming call is received.

Old 03-08-2007, 10:51 AM
tom @ eas
Banned

The BT antenna is slightly smaller than a deck of cards, this is placed behind the dash - hidden from view. This is definitely a DIY job, full instructions are included with the kits.

Old 03-08-2007, 10:15 PM
Joe Kewl
1st Gear
Tom,

Will the non-nav kit display the callers information on the stock head unit? Or will the head unit just say "Phone"?
Thanks!

Old 03-09-2007, 09:26 AM
tom @ eas
Banned
The stock HU will say PHONE, but we will have an optional separate display for caller ID

Old 03-10-2007, 03:48 PM
Joe Kewl
1st Gear
The stock HU will say PHONE, but we will have an optional separate display for caller ID
Thanks for repsonding to my question.
Not to be too negative, or discouraging here, but my phone's screen already acts a secondary display when the HU displays PHONE. It would be really cool for the HU to display the name of the caller instead of just PHONE.
Just my 2 cents...

Your NAV kit does look pretty cool though, wish I had the resources to by the NAV when I bought my MINI!

Old 03-10-2007, 06:27 PM
btallack
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Joe Kewl
It would be really cool for the HU to display the name of the caller instead of just PHONE.
I second that.

Old 03-12-2007, 12:57 PM
tom @ eas
Banned
Originally Posted by Joe Kewl
Thanks for repsonding to my question.
Not to be too negative, or discouraging here, but my phone's screen already acts a secondary display when the HU displays PHONE. It would be really cool for the HU to display the name of the caller instead of just PHONE.
Just my 2 cents...

Your NAV kit does look pretty cool though, wish I had the resources to by the NAV when I bought my MINI!
The radio is the limiting factor as it is not text display capable. We do have another way around this coming soon!

Old 03-14-2007, 01:31 PM
Vrrooom
1st Gear
I think it is a super product however,That is a pretty steep price $ 849 I think I will stick to my ear bud,till I sell a limb or organ. WOW !

Old 03-14-2007, 08:15 PM
prof330i
1st Gear
I am not clear why the non-NAV bluetooth system won't be able to display text on the radio showing the phone number/name (if I understand correctly what is being said)? Later model radios (after ~3/05 build dates) are text capable. The Visteon ULF bluetooth modules are the same as used to retrofit bluetooth in BMWs and they can send text over the iBus to the display on BMW radios. Seems like it's just a matter of getting a harness wired up correctly for it to work.

Am I missing something? For older radios there would be a problem as they are not text capable.

Similarly with issues about missing the "Talking Head" button the MFSW. In BMWs with retrofit bluetooth kits using the Visteon ULFs, a separate "Talking Head" bluetooth pairing button has to be installed (even though the cars have a "Talking Head" button on the steering wheel already!), generally under the arm rest for 3 series cars. A similar arrangement should be possible for MINIs (where to install the button might be an issue), but one could probably use the BMW button (BMW part number 84 13 0 302 715).

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio Bluetooth for MINI Cooper/Cooper S w/Nav completed