Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio I Need Subs

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2002, 08:02 AM
Dave2KStang
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Right now I have two 10" subs in an enclosed MTX box. It's hanging around in the small trunk of my Mustang, but I'm sure the trunk for the Cooper S is even smaller. There's no way I will have space for my box, right? I don't care if I have to use up 100% of my trunk room though, because I never use the trunk. If this won't fit, then is it possible for me to get separate smaller boxes for each sub so it'll fit? And if this doesn't work, then I guess I need a custom install. Any idea how much that would cost?
Even though I've put down a deposit, I still haven't been inside a Mini so I don't know the layout of the trunk, which is why I'm asking these questions. Thanks.

Old 07-02-2002, 08:56 AM
greatgro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
THere is no trunk...there is only 5 sq feet of cargo space. Even the Mustang convertibles have almost 10 sq feet so this is half that. I believe a regular mustang has maybe 50% more than a convertible say around 15 sq feet. I know, I've owned a Mustang GT convertible and a reg GT in the mid to late 90's. So no, I'm pretty sure they won't fit in your MINI. You can fit maybe 4 snug grocery bags in the back - and that is without the 6-CD changer.

Old 07-04-2002, 10:26 AM
minimizer
Neutral
I brought home my new mini S on fathers day and can tell you that the trunk space is almost non-exsistant. As a 10 year veteran of car audio installations, I do have some good and bad news. First the bad news. Forget about those 10 inch subs, they just cant possibly fit. Even if you can make a box to fill the trunk, the design restrictions and usable air space inside the box will not be adiquate for 10 inch subs. Now for the good news. My advice is to invest in either a 8inch bazooka amplified tube, which will sound better than the 10,s or get an JL audio tuned port subwoofer. I have owned both of these and will testify to their quality. My prefernce is the JL Audio but you will need to invest in a quality amp and cross it off at the proper frequency. Good luck and happy motoring.
Update..., my above opinion is based on leaving the rear seats in the uprite position. Any type of system is possible if you are willing to compromise your interior. Sometimes less is more.

Old 07-04-2002, 06:51 PM
p1rana
1st Gear
I think there is more then enough room for 2 10's, i dont know if your box will fit though. Maybe that is because I saw it with the hatch open.

Old 07-07-2002, 09:12 PM
Lee
Neutral
unless you love hard bass you dont need two subs for this car i on the other hand will need at least two but if you are lookin for one you can use a 12 it should have a enuf air space. Rockford is your best bet for subs small box.

Old 07-07-2002, 10:51 PM
Sfiveten
5th Gear
I would have to agree with Lee on this one.....
I have a Rockford Fosgate Power DVC 12" being pushed by 700 watts currently. In my last vehicle (a Honda CR-V) it could make your ears scream! In my Prelude..... It lacks. The reason I don't get the sound in the Lude is because of the closed off trunk. Based on the size of the MINI and the fact that it has an open cargo area, I really don't think you will need any more than one.
My advise would be to save your money on the extra sub and either get some good sound insulation (Dyna-mat, etc.) or get a higher quality sub and amp.
SW

Old 07-08-2002, 05:40 PM
SPYDERMAZE
1st Gear
THIS IS THE ANSWER. GET RID OF YOUR OLD SUBS AND AMP. BUY A SUB THAT CAN BE USED IN A SEALED ENCLOSURE. SEALED BOXES SOUND CLEANER, TAKE UP WAY LESS ROOM, AND YOU GET NO AIR NOISE BECAUSE OF PORTS. BUT THEY DO REQUIRE MORE POWER TO PUSH THEM. TAKE THIS FOR EXAMPLE YOU ARE RUNNING A AMP THAT PUTS OUT 200 WATTS PER CHANNEL @4 OHMS WITH A PEAK OF 400WATTS IF THIS SAME AMP IS BRIGGABLE TO ONE CHANNEL SO NOW YOU HAVE A 450 WATT RMS WITH A PEAK OF 800 WATTS.

Old 07-10-2002, 08:18 PM
SUPRCHRGDMINI
3rd Gear
>>Right now I have two 10" subs in an enclosed MTX box. It's hanging around in the small trunk of my Mustang, but I'm sure the trunk for the Cooper S is even smaller. There's no way I will have space for my box, right? I don't care if I have to use up 100% of my trunk room though, because I never use the trunk. If this won't fit, then is it possible for me to get separate smaller boxes for each sub so it'll fit? And if this doesn't work, then I guess I need a custom install. Any idea how much that would cost?
>>Even though I've put down a deposit, I still haven't been inside a Mini so I don't know the layout of the trunk, which is why I'm asking these questions. Thanks.

I have one 10" mtx 7000 in the boot of my mini. There is plenty room for 2 if you wanted but you dont need 2 unless you want to go deaf.mine is run by a mtx 425 watt amp and it pounds.With 1 10" you still have half the trunk,with 2 you will loose all your trunk space.
:???: :???:

Old 07-17-2002, 11:50 AM
Dave2KStang
1st Gear
An MTX 10", that's exactly what I was thinking. Since it's a smaller car, I doubt I'll need the two subs. Also, that means I get to bridge my RF 500a2 amp to one channel for the one sub, which means I can still go deaf. Yayy!
By the way, what type of box is your sub in? I'm assuming it's an enclosed MTX box, right?