Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Mini audio: Do-it-myself

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2004, 06:53 AM
DGShaffer
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mini audio: Do-it-myself

Well my fiancé had a Christmas wish to have her Alpine Multi CD Changer installed into her new MINI. Looking at the available space I could see this was going to be difficult at best. To make matters even more complicated I decided to get her XM as well.

Now I have the CD changer, XM Direct, BlitzSafe XM with CD pass-through, and the BlitzSafe Alpine interface that all need a home

This is what I came up with. An enclosure that could sit on the deck of the trunk space that would hold all of the components securely and protected as well as easily removed. I may build a false floor to hide the unit in time. Having a sheet metal business this kind of thing is relatively easy.

The following shots show how everything fits in the enclosure. I added vent holes to allow it to stay cool.

Here it is together and ready to drop in to the MINI

And now securely in place with everything working as planned. The BlitzSafe interface units really made it simple.
[img]http://dgshaffer.com/images/miniaudio/incar1.JPG[/img]
[img]http://dgshaffer.com/images/miniaudio/incar2.JPG[/img]

Old 12-27-2004, 11:19 AM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Really nice work - well done!

Did you fasten it down using the hooks in the trunk, or is it just too heavy to move around?

Old 12-27-2004, 11:52 AM
Pebblecrusher
4th Gear
That is great work! Very clean design.

Old 12-27-2004, 12:12 PM
DGShaffer
1st Gear
Thankd guy's.

I used 4 small strips of 3M dual lock to keep it from shifting. They just dig into the carpet. I didn't want to mount it perminently since this ones a lease. I really feel that after having XM for a while she'll forget all about the CD player then I'll throw just the XM and BlitzSafe in the side compartment.
For now though she has it all. I even mounted a Garmin Street Pilot III up front so she's got NAV as well.