Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio And MINI does something dumb.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2004, 05:21 PM
FF2-EMTB
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And MINI does something dumb.....

So, there I was, getting ready to install an Alpine 9830 into the 2005 MINI. I take the console apart, get the trim out etc. etc. and remove the stock HU. I don't think much of it at first, but notice that there is a satellite radio inout on the back, and it is already hooked up, so maybe the SIRIUS ready thing is true. So, I get everything all done and come across a disturbing problem:

There is no way for me to hook an antenna up to the back of the 9830.

There is only the one plug that looks like satellite radio. Now, I don't have the item with me, but, my MINI sustained some battle damage when it fought with a garage door and lost its antenna. I have the part. I will take a pic and show you all what is inside it. Basically there is a little card looking thing inside.

Anyway, anybody with an '05 run into this and how did you get around it?
Inquiring minds want to know!

T.

Old 12-12-2004, 03:14 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not quite following your post so maybe I am answering the wrong question ...
The Boost has always had a non-standard antenna connection; MikeyTheMini sells an adaptor ("MINI AERIAL ADAPTOR") to convert to the normal antenna plug for aftermarket HUs:

Maybe that is all you need?

Old 12-12-2004, 04:10 PM
FF2-EMTB
2nd Gear
GB,

Once again you prove to know your stuff! That is exactly what I need!

Thanks!

T.

Old 12-13-2004, 07:22 AM
Zociac
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FF2-EMTB
So, there I was, getting ready to install an Alpine 9830 into the 2005 MINI. I take the console apart, get the trim out etc. etc. and remove the stock HU. I don't think much of it at first, but notice that there is a satellite radio inout on the back, and it is already hooked up, so maybe the SIRIUS ready thing is true. So, I get everything all done and come across a disturbing problem:

There is no way for me to hook an antenna up to the back of the 9830.

There is only the one plug that looks like satellite radio. Now, I don't have the item with me, but, my MINI sustained some battle damage when it fought with a garage door and lost its antenna. I have the part. I will take a pic and show you all what is inside it. Basically there is a little card looking thing inside.

Anyway, anybody with an '05 run into this and how did you get around it?
Inquiring minds want to know!

T.
Now that you solved the mystery of the missing antenna connection, can you please show us what is inside the antenna?

What year is your Mini?

Old 12-13-2004, 07:25 AM
Vedubauman
1st Gear
I'm wondering if there is any way to utilize the antenna on an external satellite radio. I was looking at the guts of the '05 antenna and it does appear to be a satellite antenna. I don't really like having an oversized antenna if I can't use it for anything other than the stock HU. I'll take the earlier antenna base please.

Old 12-13-2004, 08:47 AM
Rev. Limiter
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FF2-EMTB

You have a PM.

Bob

Old 12-13-2004, 11:17 AM
KevinR
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Vedubauman
I'm wondering if there is any way to utilize the antenna on an external satellite radio. I was looking at the guts of the '05 antenna and it does appear to be a satellite antenna. I don't really like having an oversized antenna if I can't use it for anything other than the stock HU. I'll take the earlier antenna base please.
I realize your car is brand new, but would you like to take one for the team and dismantle your car and your antenna?

Or, check behind the removable panel on the right side of the boot to see if there is a satellite radio antenna wire down there.

Old 12-13-2004, 01:19 PM
Vedubauman
1st Gear
Originally Posted by KevinR
I realize your car is brand new, but would you like to take one for the team and dismantle your car and your antenna?

Or, check behind the removable panel on the right side of the boot to see if there is a satellite radio antenna wire down there.
Why of course!

The antenna does have the familiar micro-coaxial cable that most satellite antennas use...but I could not find where it went. I even checked in the boot. I did find some unfamiliar plugs in there but nothing that resembled what I was looking for. I pulled the HU and found nothing there either. Bah!

I'll post pictures later this evening.

Old 12-13-2004, 05:44 PM
Vedubauman
1st Gear
Here's a picture of the plugs in the boot:

Any ideas? I'm sure it's merely the CD changer wiring but who knows.

Old 12-13-2004, 08:36 PM
MadisonMini
1st Gear
There's a guy on mini2 who posted pics of step by step taking off the boot panel: http://webpages.charter.net/tprado/mcc/He was installing blitzsafe, the pics are fuzzy, hard to see if their were any antenna leads. So it sounds like these leads are no where to be found?

Last night, I took out the HK in my 2005 MCSC, here are the pics. As confirmed today, no extra antenna leads behind the head unit. Here are my pics.

Old 12-13-2004, 08:55 PM
MadisonMini
1st Gear
Vedaubman,

So you saw the inside of the antenna? You mentioned something about seeing a coax cable...shouldn't there be 2 cables inside the antenna if one is for the FM/AM aerial and the other for the satellite?

Perhaps if you only saw one, it's the one that goes to the back of the HK headunit, and that answers the question of where the satellite lead is: there isn't one.

Old 12-14-2004, 06:14 AM
Vedubauman
1st Gear
The antenna had two leads. The standard Fuba wiring (for AM/FM) and the coaxial cable for satellite. I'm tempted to pull the headliner to see where it goes.

Old 12-14-2004, 07:50 AM
KevinR
5th Gear
The antenna had two leads. The standard Fuba wiring (for AM/FM) and the coaxial cable for satellite. I'm tempted to pull the headliner to see where it goes.
Hmmm. I know that some of the roof mount antennas on Z3 coupes had am/fm/cell phone capability. It's going to be hard to say what the second cable on the '05 MINI antenna does without seeing the terminal end of the cable.

I hate to say it, but I think tracing it is the only way you're going to find out where it goes and what the cable does. But I don't think you'll have to pull the headliner. Between the motion sensor opening on the ceiling and the hatch opening, you should be able to get enough room to see where the cable goes.

However, you may have to pull the back seat and the passenger side trim panel. If you choose to do so, be sure to check the web for instructions. If memory serves, I think there is one bolt that holds the rear seat down that you DO NOT want to completely remove.

Old 12-14-2004, 08:08 AM
MadisonMini
1st Gear
Do it, do it! Don't want to be the only one messing up their new car looking for this. Since I opened the knee bolster part (under the steering wheel) to get access the torx screw on the pillar, now today I was driving on a bumpy road and the knee bolster opened and smacked me in the shins!

Serves me right for trying to mess with my car.

Old 12-14-2004, 08:23 AM
Vedubauman
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MadisonMini
Do it, do it! Don't want to be the only one messing up their new car looking for this. Since I opened the knee bolster part (under the steering wheel) to get access the torx screw on the pillar, now today I was driving on a bumpy road and the knee bolster opened and smacked me in the shins!

Serves me right for trying to mess with my car.
LOL! Okay guys. I'm taking next week off so I'll do some disassembling. I'm just waiting for my wife to do the big < > when she comes home and finds the entire interior out of my 2 week old Mini!!

Old 12-14-2004, 09:03 AM
KevinR
5th Gear
LOL! Okay guys. I'm taking next week off so I'll do some disassembling. I'm just waiting for my wife to do the big < > when she comes home and finds the entire interior out of my 2 week old Mini!!
You could always point to your 911 or your swallowtail Rabbit and ask, "are you really surprised?"

Old 12-19-2004, 02:10 PM
wkndracr
4th Gear
anyone know what the deal is with using a sirius antenna with xm? I heard that they arent compatible, but does anyone make an adapter? I would love to be able to use the factory sirius antenna with my xm.

Old 12-20-2004, 12:23 PM
KevinR
5th Gear
I read something over the weekend that made me think the Sirius connection (if present at all) would be found on the driver's side of the boot. This is completely different than what I thought, but it might be worth looking there prior to dismantling a new car...

As to the question about using a Sirius antenna for XM: I've read conflicting reports. Some say it works, others say it doesn't. VW recently starting offering the choice of Sirius OR XM in selected '05 model cars. You could give your local VW dealer a call to see if they have different antennas for Sirius and XM...

Old 02-18-2005, 05:39 AM
Americonium
2nd Gear
Has anyone found any answers yet? My Mini won't be here until April, but I'm doing everything I can to be prepared for it's arrival. One of the things on my list is to install the Sirius PNP I currently own. I would be very happy if the sat. antenna is built into the AM/FM on the top of the car. Thanks in advance....

abe