Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

2013 Convertible R57 Amp

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 10:34 AM
thembsnyder
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 Convertible R57 Amp

Hello All,

New to the forum. I have been bouncing my head off the wall with this Harman Karden amp issue. The car is my daughters and now the radio works someday and not others, from what I have found online and in the forums is that all leads to the amp. I have removed it, cleaned it, inspected it and all that with no changes, it just works when it wants to. Anyway, I do not want to pay 1200 for a new amp and they are very hard to find online. It is the Harman Karden HS 9599 model.

I am now checking with all the local car stereo places to see if any of them have ever done an amp swap on these to an aftermarket amp.. One place came back and said he could not do it but could put in a new radio and bypass the amp. Has anyone done this and if so do you lose any functionality of anything when you remove the radio from the amp that is currently installed?

Thanks for any and all assistance on this

Old 07-13-2019, 08:04 PM
allenm324
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
There are plenty of threads about adding an aftermarket amp, but the factory amp inputs have to stay connected for updates as far as I know. How do you know if the same thing will happen even if you change the amp? You don't need to change the headunit if you want to bypass the factory amp. Take a look at the Integral Audio installation guide for adding an aftermarket amp.
I would maybe get one of those small powered subwoofers and take a look at the BOSS600 thread for powering it and adding connections. This way you can eliminate the amp as the issue and maybe it's the headunit that's cutting out.