Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio My CD player has gone insane

Old 02-05-2019, 10:59 AM
subdude
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My CD player has gone insane

Folks, I've searched and found a couple similar issues, but not this. 08 Clubman. Recently my CD player has lost it's mind. I open the door and get in, the CD player starts alternating between the eject noise and the insert noise. Not just once, but continuous. It can go on for several minutes. No key inserted, key inserted, power on / off, engine running or not, NONE of that makes any difference. It even happens while I'm driving, and when parking / turning off the car. Back and forth with the insert / eject noise. There is no CD in the player. Inserting one makes it stop, but I don't want to ride around with a CD in it. I use the aux input jack 99.99 percent of the time with my sat radio.

My big concern is that I can stop the car, turn off the engine, remove the key, get out and lock the door. I can still hear the stupid CD player doing the insert / eject noise over and over. I'm concerned it's going to kill the battery.

BTW, battery is ~1 yr old and fully charged. Radio on/off makes no difference. Car does not have nav.

Any thoughts other than an Exorcism?

Old 02-05-2019, 12:47 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
If you want to keep it and not spend on a repair or replacement, I'd wire in a power switch. Probably not a difficult task.

Old 02-05-2019, 01:47 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
There is no CD in the player. Inserting one makes it stop, but I don't want to ride around with a CD in it.

why not, I've left a CD in one for years and no damage ... it was the first thing that came to mind.

did you try the "hard reset" of disconnecting the battery for a couple of hours?

Old 02-05-2019, 06:43 PM
subdude
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't convinced myself yet that having a CD in it will absolutely stop it, since the condition comes and goes. And no, I haven't tried the battery disconnect yet. That's coming soon. I'm still hoping that I'm not the only one this has happened to, and someone else has the absolute answer. Thanks for the thoughts!