Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio R56 Audio Upgrade Plan Sanity Check

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 02:11 PM
jeremyscalpello
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R56 Audio Upgrade Plan Sanity Check

Hey guys,

So I've recently become the owner of a 2008 Cooper D, and one of the first things I noticed (being used to high end speakers / headphones) is the pretty sub-par audio quality. The car has the standard audio system, no HiFi or HK.

I've been putting together a plan for some better audio, and being very new to MINI sound systems, I'd like some feedback to see if everything I'm planning makes sense and to make sure I'm not missing anything.

For speakers / amp, I plan to go with the NewMINIStuff upgrade kit (https://newministuff.com/audio-upgra...bman-636-p.asp). It seems to have everything I need to replace the stock speakers in the car, including new a-pillars since my car doesn't have tweeters there, being the standard system.

I was then planning on replacing the boost head unit with a Sony XAV AX-3005, primarily due to cost, aesthetics and Apple CarPlay support.

To fit it in, I realized I need a double din fascia kit, one of which I found here: https://newministuff.com/facia-adapt...gen-1561-p.asp

Finally (and this is extremely important to me) I wanted to keep the factory steering wheel controls, chimes and parking sensors working. To that effect, I found this kit which appears to do the job: http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/ctsb...sensor-adaptor

That's pretty much it, I believe. Am I missing anything in terms of cabling, adapters, interfaces etc? Or should that do the job? I plan to add a subwoofer further down the line, so I'll probably run cabling for that in preparation.

Cheers!

Old 11-26-2018, 04:31 AM
Skorpan
Neutral
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can at least confirm that the connects2-adaptor works perfectly in my 2009 cooper D with a Pioneer double DIN-setup.

Old 04-29-2021, 01:00 PM
olegd88
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I ended up going the route of a Bluetooth adapter on Amazon. For the BASE Minis with no USB support, this is the cheap way out. The other, better alternative is the android radio but I didn't want to deal with it.

Amazon Amazon

I got this and hardwired it with a 12V to 5V adapter (but you don't need to do all that, can just plug it in and hide the wire under the dash with your hands). I mounted it next to the key so the mic is there and the buttons are there as well. Obviously not as good as having original mic and steering wheel controls, but its not terrible for $30. Phone automatically connects to the car and works well.