Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio MS-8 to replace HK amp

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 02:31 PM
RedAggie03
4th Gear
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
MS-8 to replace HK amp

Has anyone else replaced the HK amp with a JBL MS-8?

I got the idea after I found my HK amp missing in my new to me MCS...It will take 2 channels in, output 8 channels, and will handle a 2 ohm load. On paper, it's going to be a great solution for my missing amp issue.

It arrives tonight...

Old 08-16-2017, 03:08 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Thought about using it, read a lot on various forums (bmw,etc) and decided that they had issues with the processor reliability.

Will be interested to hear how it goes in a MINI. NAM seems to be way less into audio upgrading than BMW sites. GL!

Old 08-16-2017, 04:46 PM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 489 Likes on 408 Posts
There was a replacement I read about here on NAM using a JL Audio amp as an HK replacement. It was the XD600/6 600 watt, 6 channel amp used in 5 channel mode, and is 2 ohm stable. It was close in size to the HK amp and they were able to mount it in the stock location behind the panel in the cargo area.

Here's the link to post 34 that explains the install: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post3604109

Old 08-16-2017, 11:43 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
The MS-8 looks like a good choice if you're going to keep the HK speakers. It has signal processors for frequency response correction and active crossovers on each speaker, which is what the HK amp does. If you got an amp without these features, you'd also have to replace the HK speakers with aftermarket.
http://ms8-eu.jbl.com/installation.h...s%20Manual.pdf

Old 08-17-2017, 06:08 AM
RedAggie03
4th Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
The MS-8 looks like a good choice if you're going to keep the HK speakers. It has signal processors for frequency response correction and active crossovers on each speaker, which is what the HK amp does. If you got an amp without these features, you'd also have to replace the HK speakers with aftermarket.
http://ms8-eu.jbl.com/installation.h...s%20Manual.pdf
That's exactly what I was thinking. This is literally the only way to keep everything stock, but upgrade the DSP. I mean the MS-8 is a Harman Kardon part - I'm guessing the stock HK amp is just a non-tunable/adjustable version of the MS-8.

We'll see how it goes - I think it will be fine and it will also give me the flexibility to add additional amps and other upgrades in the future without having to start over.

Old 08-17-2017, 08:42 AM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 489 Likes on 408 Posts
Oops, didn't see you already purchased one in the first post. The MS8 looks like great way to go. Looking forward to hearing how it works out.

Old 08-17-2017, 08:54 AM
RedAggie03
4th Gear
Yup, I'm going to take pictures and share the wiring, etc. I haven't found where this has been done and documented yet...

Old 09-01-2017, 03:19 PM
thejono1
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the H/K system, and it sounds great, but I get frustrated at times because the volume isn't consistent between songs or inputs. I had only planned on installing a subwoofer and bypassing the ASD module, and now I'm considering this install as well. I suspect some of my issue has to do with the ASD module, but I suspect it could also be the way the H/K amp works. Essentially I find myself increasing the volume a lot. It will be comfortable at 50% to 60% max, then the next song I find myself increasing it to 75% to 80% max.

Would adding the MS-8 remedy my inconsistent volume issues?

How significant of an improvement is the MS-8 over the oem H/K amp?

Old 09-01-2017, 06:55 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Originally Posted by thejono1
I have the H/K system, and it sounds great, but I get frustrated at times because the volume isn't consistent between songs or inputs. I had only planned on installing a subwoofer and bypassing the ASD module, and now I'm considering this install as well. I suspect some of my issue has to do with the ASD module, but I suspect it could also be the way the H/K amp works. Essentially I find myself increasing the volume a lot. It will be comfortable at 50% to 60% max, then the next song I find myself increasing it to 75% to 80% max.

Would adding the MS-8 remedy my inconsistent volume issues?

How significant of an improvement is the MS-8 over the oem H/K amp?
What is your music source and what car do you have?

Old 09-01-2017, 07:03 PM
thejono1
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 2017 Mini Clubman s with the visual boost and Harman Kardon sound system. I typically listen to music through Bluetooth and USB. I suspect my issue is just the ASD module which I've purchased a bypass for, plus I need more bass and intend to install subwoofer.

Last edited by thejono1; 09-02-2017 at 07:22 AM.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:03 AM
RedAggie03
4th Gear
I added this to my build thread, but I might as well update this thread as well...

Finally, since my HK amp was missing and the wiring was hacked up, I decided to install a MS-8. This sweet box is a digital signal processor the can take the two channel input directly from the head unit and turn it into 8 channels. This allowed me to keep all of my factory equipment, but control time alignment, crossover points, etc. It sounds phenomenal. I haven't seen anyone else do this before, so heads up - this is a great alternative to the stock amp.

How it started
They just connected two channels from the HU to the 8 channels of speakers. Soooo bad.
Figuring out the wiring and labeling
All labeled and organized.
Stripping, twisting, soldering, and shrinking
Testing. Found out the front left door and the rear left speaker have the same color wires!! Arrrgh.
All tested, wired, and mounted up!