Navigation & Audio Heads up to those with HUD + Polarized Lens/Glasses

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 08:09 PM
LormaD
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Heads up to those with HUD + Polarized Lens/Glasses

I have the OEM JCW HUD, and own several pairs of sunglasses.

The one's that have polarized lenses, well, cough cough.. the image reflected on the HUD appears dim with polarized lenses.

To my surprise, I have an old pair of what I thought were Original Ray Ban Aviator glasses with polarized lenses (it says so on the glasses). And when I went to order myself a new pair (the other pair, I received as a gift / prize) of Ray Ban Aviator glasses, the optometrist had an image / decal in the store.

When looking at the image through polarized lenses, the image would appear a logo showing that you are seeing this because of the polarized lens. And when using a non polarized lens, you cannot make out the image. Kind of a polarized lens checker if you will.

Well, my new Ray Ban Aviators with polarized lenses, do not play nice with the HUD. Damn it, I guess. But, with my non polarized lenses, and the obviously Fake Ray Ban polarized lenses (or so I thought were polarized), the HUD is clear.

Moral of the story, polarized lenses help cut and filter out reflections, and one of the things it does well is reduce glare and reflection. Well the mini oem HUD is all about reflection.

Just curious if the same is true, if using Driving Glasses in the day time, like the serengeti driving glasses from the 80's / 90's. I really liked the way they sharpened images when driving in the rain (daytime) or over cast conditions.

Cheers,

LormaD

The following users liked this post:
Clutch Wotan (07-10-2017)