Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Parasitic Drain?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 08:50 AM
itsDRUSKI
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Parasitic Drain?

Hello,

I am writing today because I have a question regarding the install of an amplifier into the trunk of the car. I have a 900w amplifier currently in there, however I was recently having issues starting the car and needed to replace the alternator and battery. The mechanic said that the amplifier was drawing too much while the car was off, which is why I was experiencing issues when starting up the car.

What I want to know is what do I need to do in order to avoid the amplifier drawing too much again. Do I need to install it again differently, do I need to upgrade anything? I don't look forward to being stranded in Yosemite again.

Thanks!

Old 06-29-2017, 09:10 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
How do you have it wired. Most amps will have a remote start option that turns it on and off when it senses either power to its remote input or power to the low/high level inputs. Really depends on the amp. Also it could be faulty if wired correctly but still drawing or if power is leaking from the car to the amp. Post up the info on the amp and how you have it wired and maybe someone can offer you clues.

Old 06-29-2017, 11:49 AM
Filmy
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
How do you have it wired. Most amps will have a remote start option that turns it on and off when it senses either power to its remote input or power to the low/high level inputs. Really depends on the amp. Also it could be faulty if wired correctly but still drawing or if power is leaking from the car to the amp. Post up the info on the amp and how you have it wired and maybe someone can offer you clues.
This ^. The amp shouldn't be drawing any power while the car - actually, while the stereo - is turned off. It (the amp) will have 12V and ground going to it, but there's a trigger wire that's supposed to come from the HU to throw the relay in the amp, switching it on to draw that 12V.