Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Help installing a sub

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2016, 04:44 PM
Piff
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help installing a sub

My hopes are to install a RF punch 750 and a jl 10w6v6 into my 06 MCS with HK. From what I've read and can understand it seems like the best place to splice into is the rear speakers, is this possible? I plan to run the amp on 2 ohms to the sub( not sure if that matters). I've been reading about needing a "line level converter", not sure what this is but am going to research.
Just curious if I have everything down or if I'm missing something, any input is appreciated as I know little but want to learn. Thanks in advance!

Old 12-26-2016, 01:00 PM
Piff
1st Gear
I got it all installed and working. My next question is, how do I know what the amp is set on. In other words how do I ensure my amp is running on 2 ohm and is there a way to limit the watts, say from 500 to 400?

Old 12-26-2016, 01:59 PM
Piff
1st Gear
Disregard everything in that last post, I now understand it is wrong. So what I am understanding now is the sub has a dual voice coil. It said you can run it as an 8 ohm or as a 2 ohm, so I think I've got it right. My amp is able to push 500 watts at 2 ohms. So am I correct and assuming my sub and amp is running on 2 ohms?
Thanks

Old 03-09-2017, 08:25 AM
minhi
2nd Gear
the load that the sub is requiring depends on how you wired it, your sub has 2 4ohm voice coils, if you wire it series it will be 8ohms to the amp, if you wire in parallel it will be 2ohms to the amp, it will work either way but will get less watts at 8ohms then at 2ohms (i'm guessing that your amp does 500w@2ohms but 125w@8ohms). if you have a multi-meter you can measure the resistance, if you open up the sub you can also see how it's wired to confirm it, see here for diagrams

http://www.jlaudio.com/header/Suppor...Drivers/287544

as far as 'limiting' the watts, the amp does not put out 500w all the time, it depends on how high you have the levels and how loud you turn it up, so i would just keep the levels low for now. in a mini i would not expect you to turn it up loud enough to worry about too many watts going to the sub

Last edited by minhi; 03-09-2017 at 08:27 AM. Reason: update