Navigation & Audio iPhone/Bluetooth question

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 10:38 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
iPhone/Bluetooth question

First off, I'm going to admit that I'm tech-challenged. I'm fine on computers, but iPhones? 'Nother question!

That out of the way, I got a new phone today, and can't figure out how to synch it with Bluetooth. I had an iPhone 3, which worked fairly well, except that it frequently would dial a number, let it ring once, and then lose the connection, including the Bluetooth link. Never could get anyone to tell me if it was because I live in the middle of sometimes "iffy" reception (lots of hills in central Arkansas), the age of the phone, or a quirk of the MINI system. Several people suggested it was the old phone. I was due to get a new phone, anyway. Never one to jump on the latest and greatest, I got an iPhone 5S today. Sales guy said they would search each other out. They don't.

Question 1--do I enter it as "new phone," or will it replace the "iPhone" label that's already on the screen with the new model? If I have to give it a new label, how do I delete the old one?

Question 2--how long does it normally take? I got the car's screen to show the code for the phone, but don't know where to put this number. The phone doesn't ask for it at any point, and the car screen doesn't go past this.

I should point out I'm on a trip, don't have any written info anywhere, and of course I have to be parked to even attempt anything. Help!

Old 10-31-2015, 04:43 AM
hammerhands
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You should have the MINI Motorer's Guide app.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mini...de/id902036212

http://www.miniusa.com/content/miniu...bile-apps.html

On the iPhone, open the Settings app and go to Bluetooth (or ask Siri, open Bluetooth settings). The car should show up under "Other Devices" when you are in the "add a new phone" menu on the MINI.

Click on the car's entry and it should ask to confirm the passkey. It did take only a few seconds for me.

Attached Thumbnails iPhone/Bluetooth question-image.png  

Last edited by hammerhands; 10-31-2015 at 06:08 AM.
Old 10-31-2015, 05:11 AM
hammerhands
5th Gear
You can delete a Bluetooth device:
Menu->Phone
highlight the device
push the OPTION button

Attached Thumbnails iPhone/Bluetooth question-image.jpeg  
Old 10-31-2015, 05:27 AM
hammerhands
5th Gear
Confirming on an iPad.

Attached Thumbnails iPhone/Bluetooth question-image.jpeg  
Old 10-31-2015, 10:42 AM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Thanks, Hammerhands. I'll give it a whirl. If it doesn't work out, I'll drive up to Winnipeg, LOL!

Old 11-01-2015, 12:06 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Okay, I managed to pair them up---finally. It's not at all intuitative! Nor was it as simple as the guy at the AT&T store said: "either your car will seek out the phone or the phone will seek out the car." Well....not exactly.

As for deletions, my car's panel doesn't look like yours. I can live with it until I happen to be at the dealer, though. Thanks for your help.

Old 11-01-2015, 12:27 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
Okay, I managed to pair them up---finally. It's not at all intuitative! Nor was it as simple as the guy at the AT&T store said: "either your car will seek out the phone or the phone will seek out the car." Well....not exactly.

As for deletions, my car's panel doesn't look like yours. I can live with it until I happen to be at the dealer, though. Thanks for your help.
If you have the color screen, or Visual Boost, it's just as easy to delete old phones:

- From the main menu, go into TELEPHONE
- Go down to BLUETOOTH DEVICES if it is not already on screen (you may have to go back a level - tilt the controller to the left)
- Scroll down to the phone you want to delete and press the OPTION button on the controller
- Select REMOVE DEVICE

Old 11-01-2015, 04:45 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by siriuszero
If you have the color screen, or Visual Boost, it's just as easy to delete old phones:

- From the main menu, go into TELEPHONE
- Go down to BLUETOOTH DEVICES if it is not already on screen (you may have to go back a level - tilt the controller to the left)
- Scroll down to the phone you want to delete and press the OPTION button on the controller
- Select REMOVE DEVICE
Okay, think I got it now. Assuming that I didn't kill the wrong iPhone, but it seems to read the new phone's address book all right. The real test will be when I get back home to Arkansas where the reception can be iffy due to terrain--will it drop calls after 1 ring like I often experienced with my old phone? I'm visiting Houston right now, where everything is f-l-a-t. Not good for MINIs, but great for reception!

Old 11-04-2015, 05:51 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
I certainly want to thank you two--everything's working, even in the Arkansas hills! I'm no longer dropping Bluetooth connections, and all of the questions I had about the new phone are resolved.

That's the neat thing about NAM--good help just for the asking. Thanks!

Old 11-05-2015, 07:52 AM
hammerhands
5th Gear
It has so many trolls, but it's awesome when it's working! You're welcome.