Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio TSB on MINI Ipod Interface

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 11:51 AM
philmonty
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSB on MINI Ipod Interface

Hi all

I had to remove my MINI Ipod interface due to it draining the battery. Worked OK for nearly four years, but then started draining. Weird.

I have heard there is a TSB from Mini on the issue but I cannot locate on the web. I am hoping I can repair the unit rather than buy another interface - I can do component level repairs if needed.

BTW: This was in a HK setup in a 2006 Cooper S Cabrio.

Phil

Old 09-20-2013, 12:04 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts
About half the failed units I hear of a various aftermarket brands....so not unique to the OEM unit.
My guess is, just start testing stuff...
One tip...
To be ROHC compliant, euro electronics makers removed lead from sodder...a bit before conductive glues became the norm. One issue in many electronics of this era is the tin in the solder can form little fingers that grow as the joints age....and at some point a short happens...so an inspection might find the issue pretty fast...more work might be needed to determine if more dammage happened though....

Old 09-20-2013, 02:57 PM
philmonty
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Zippy

If someone can locate the TSB we'll see what Mini diagnosed as the issue and if there are any fixes. Would be better than working in the dark.

Otherwise I agree that the best I can do is re-flow the solder and see what happens.

I am getting desperate as all I have right now is FM RADIO!!!!!

%$##%^$@#%^&^#@@%^^$$#^&

Old 09-20-2013, 04:47 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
Dealers are never instructed to do component level repair on electrical/electronic parts. If a TSB does exist, the fix would be a replacement, not a repair. I suppose there is some possibility that the fault is caused by connector or cabling, and it would be useful have the TSB to know exactly where the issue was. The most likely scenario however, is the TSB would tell the dealer to replace the interface box with another one, with particular part number (newer version).