Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio iPhone Cord and extension cord

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 08:28 AM
Mini Me R/C Racing
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iPhone Cord and extension cord

As much as I know about cars, I know less about electronics so I’m just going to throw this out here under fear of attack. I bought my 2010 Clubman and it came with some kind of squid looking cord that clips into the bottom of my iPhone. Well I just got a hand-me-down iPhone 4 with iOS 5 so now I have something I can use it for. I noticed people using the term Mini Connect, but I don’t think that’s what I have. Either way, when I plug my phone in I get an error message on the phone stating, “device not supported”. Sometimes it charges the iPhone and sometimes it doesn’t. My first question is- What’s up with that error message? Second question is, since that little cord is so short (4-5 inches) is there an extension I can add to it so I can put my iPhone in a cradle behind my tach that I bought from Craven Speed. I can't do that with the Mini squid cord thingy. Thank you for your comments and pardon my electronics ignorance.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:34 AM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Hi Mini Me,
This sounds to me like a poor/intermittent electrical connection. Most likely the cable itself is wearing out; you can replace it for about $25 or so (here's one at Amazon). Less likely but possible is the iPhone 4's dock is wearing out. That's unusual; if it is, you'll also notice it may have trouble syncing and charging. But again, that's quite unusual -- the cable is most likely to wear out.

Hope this helps!

—Bratling

Old 10-22-2012, 07:32 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by bratling
Hi Mini Me,
This sounds to me like a poor/intermittent electrical connection. Most likely the cable itself is wearing out; you can replace it for about $25 or so (here's one at Amazon). Less likely but possible is the iPhone 4's dock is wearing out. That's unusual; if it is, you'll also notice it may have trouble syncing and charging. But again, that's quite unusual -- the cable is most likely to wear out.

Hope this helps!

—Bratling
although it is possible to have a bad cable switching up to an iPhone 4 is a problem with charging as Apple changed the charge rate and the MINI can not handle it with out a special cable. There are many, many, many threads on this issue here. And in some cases even with the newest cable some iPhone 4 or 4S will not charge from a MINI. It seems MINI might have fixed this with the model 12 year.