Go Back  North American Motoring > 2nd Generation MINIs > Navigation & Audio
MINI Audio Basics: Specs, Details, and Upgrades >

Navigation & Audio MINI Audio Basics: Specs, Details, and Upgrades

Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio MINI Audio Basics: Specs, Details, and Upgrades

  #151  
Old 10-10-2016, 01:38 PM
3lusive's Avatar
3lusive
3lusive is offline
5th Gear
iTrader: (2)
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 868
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I was doing some research into the Bavsound for my 2013 JCW with HK and it looks like the only package available is the 2 tweeters and 2 midrange front speakers. Are there plans to create a full package including the under-seat subs like the F-series cars? The price seems pretty reasonable for the package as is, but I'm curious as to how much of a difference I will notice from these 4 speakers. I currently have the bass levels set to -4 and treble up +4 or so to make music seem "balanced".
 
  #152  
Old 10-10-2016, 01:48 PM
Bavsound
Bavsound is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 81
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher View Post
Pretty sure I'm going to do my F56 with Bavsound. Just wish the installers were a bit closer and more reasonable in price. Close to $500 to install the complete package and woofers is more than I can handle. The woofers are especially easy looking, can't imagine they take more than 1/2 hour for a pro, which at $150 is crazy money.
If install is more than you want to cover, you may want to consider knocking it our yourself... If you can put together IKEA furniture, you can do it. Honestly.
 
  #153  
Old 10-10-2016, 01:54 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher's Avatar
Minnie.the.Moocher
Minnie.the.Moocher is offline
6th Gear
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: earth PNW
Posts: 4,731
Received 400 Likes on 348 Posts
It's the rear speakers that are not easy for me to get to. Too old and inflexible now. Even your install video had him going off the rails in a cursing fit, scared me off of DIY.
 
  #154  
Old 10-10-2016, 01:55 PM
Bavsound
Bavsound is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 81
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 3lusive View Post
I was doing some research into the Bavsound for my 2013 JCW with HK and it looks like the only package available is the 2 tweeters and 2 midrange front speakers. Are there plans to create a full package including the under-seat subs like the F-series cars? The price seems pretty reasonable for the package as is, but I'm curious as to how much of a difference I will notice from these 4 speakers. I currently have the bass levels set to -4 and treble up +4 or so to make music seem "balanced".
Your vehicle doesn't have under seat subs, so unfortunately we aren't going to be making them / offering them for your car.

That said, you'd be surprised at the difference 4 speakers can make, especially those closest to your ears. Midrange + high frequency (tweeters) are the two most important parts of the audio spectrum to human hearing; an upgrade in that frequency range with your front speakers is far and away the biggest bang for the buck that any audio upgrade can provide. In fact, for customers on a budget, that's what we suggest if they can't afford our "full" Stage One that's available for other applications.

I know you'll love the upgrade, but if you don't, your purchase is fully protected; we offer a 100 Day In-Car Trial. If you're not in love, pay someone to remove the product, send it back, and send us the bill; we'll refund you for all of it, including installation costs. We're able to offer this because we know how much you'll appreciate the upgrade, and because basically no one ever takes us up on this offer.
 
  #155  
Old 10-10-2016, 03:43 PM
3lusive's Avatar
3lusive
3lusive is offline
5th Gear
iTrader: (2)
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 868
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Bavsound View Post
Your vehicle doesn't have under seat subs, so unfortunately we aren't going to be making them / offering them for your car.

That said, you'd be surprised at the difference 4 speakers can make, especially those closest to your ears. Midrange + high frequency (tweeters) are the two most important parts of the audio spectrum to human hearing; an upgrade in that frequency range with your front speakers is far and away the biggest bang for the buck that any audio upgrade can provide. In fact, for customers on a budget, that's what we suggest if they can't afford our "full" Stage One that's available for other applications.

I know you'll love the upgrade, but if you don't, your purchase is fully protected; we offer a 100 Day In-Car Trial. If you're not in love, pay someone to remove the product, send it back, and send us the bill; we'll refund you for all of it, including installation costs. We're able to offer this because we know how much you'll appreciate the upgrade, and because basically no one ever takes us up on this offer.
Doh, I didn't even realize that the R56 didn't have under-seat subs. Thanks for clarifying i'll have to think about it, I saw the installation video and looks fairly straightforward. I don't mind the HK audio as is, but I'm curious as to how much better it could sound...I do plan on keeping this car a while (only 13.8k miles on it!) and may be commuting between Sac/Bay Area for school soon.
 
  #156  
Old 10-10-2016, 04:06 PM
Bavsound
Bavsound is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 81
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 3lusive View Post
Doh, I didn't even realize that the R56 didn't have under-seat subs. Thanks for clarifying i'll have to think about it, I saw the installation video and looks fairly straightforward. I don't mind the HK audio as is, but I'm curious as to how much better it could sound...I do plan on keeping this car a while (only 13.8k miles on it!) and may be commuting between Sac/Bay Area for school soon.
Install in your car is ridiculously easy. Mere minutes.

Biggest difference is clarity, detail, richness, liveliness, etc. Lots of customers with HK upgrade and rave about the difference.
 
  #157  
Old 10-10-2016, 10:13 PM
Naylia
Naylia is offline
3rd Gear
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 262
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bavsound View Post
[/LIST]This is partially true; it really depends on the application and audio system in question.

For those applications where we use a coaxial speaker to replace the midranges, they can handle additional power, but it needs to be modest. 45W RMS of clean power, conservatively tuned should actually be no problem. 100W would be too much for sure.
Heard the same back form your reps, very happy with just dropping in the Stage 1, but with the top down I think I'll try the alpine power pack to get a few more db out if he system.
 
  #158  
Old 10-10-2016, 10:20 PM
3lusive's Avatar
3lusive
3lusive is offline
5th Gear
iTrader: (2)
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 868
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Naylia, was the stage 1 the tweeter and midrange (2x tweeter 2x midrange) for you as well? Do you notice significant increases in sound quality?
 
  #159  
Old 10-10-2016, 10:46 PM
Naylia
Naylia is offline
3rd Gear
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 262
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 3lusive View Post
Naylia, was the stage 1 the tweeter and midrange (2x tweeter 2x midrange) for you as well? Do you notice significant increases in sound quality?
I have the base system, so the Stage 1 is a single pod that has a midrange and discreet tweeter in the same unit (not the A-pillar ear level discrete tweeters). Easily noticeable and very solid improvement in clarity of sound. Here's a pic of the stock vs bavsound side by side. Huge difference in quality of construction.




 
  #160  
Old 10-11-2016, 11:58 AM
sasquatch
sasquatch is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 119
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bavsound, Isn't there another speaker in the lower part of the 2nd Gen cars door?

Originally Posted by Bavsound View Post
Install in your car is ridiculously easy. Mere minutes.

Biggest difference is clarity, detail, richness, liveliness, etc. Lots of customers with HK upgrade and rave about the difference.
Looks like there is a grill for another speaker in the lower corner of the door .
Do you have a direct replacement for that one as well ?

Also, What is the Alpine power boost the other person mentioned?
Is that a kit for the mini as well ?
 
  #161  
Old 10-11-2016, 12:07 PM
Naylia
Naylia is offline
3rd Gear
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 262
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sasquatch View Post
Looks like there is a grill for another speaker in the lower corner of the door .
Do you have a direct replacement for that one as well ?

Also, What is the Alpine power boost the other person mentioned?
Is that a kit for the mini as well ?
Alpine Power Pack is just a very small 45W after market amplifier that connect between your stereo and the speakers to provide more power. You would use the "universal" version. They're like a $100 on Amazon.
 
  #162  
Old 10-11-2016, 06:21 PM
Bavsound
Bavsound is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 81
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sasquatch View Post
Looks like there is a grill for another speaker in the lower corner of the door .
Do you have a direct replacement for that one as well ?

Also, What is the Alpine power boost the other person mentioned?
Is that a kit for the mini as well ?
We don't have a replacement for the larger door speaker, but it's definitely on the radar. Right now we are still building our Mini product line as well as overall business. As sales increase for Mini we are likely to begin focusing more development efforts on further projects and upgrades. I can't promise anything right now, but it's certainly possible, yes.
 
  #163  
Old 10-11-2016, 06:23 PM
Bavsound
Bavsound is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 81
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Naylia View Post
Heard the same back form your reps, very happy with just dropping in the Stage 1, but with the top down I think I'll try the alpine power pack to get a few more db out if he system.
Yep, more power is always nice in a convertible. You can typically get away with it in a hardtop, but if you like jammin' out with the top down, an amp doesn't hurt things.
 
  #164  
Old 01-01-2018, 01:17 PM
jeffaj
jeffaj is offline
Neutral
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Integral Audio Soundstage + Subwoofer 5 year review

Still LOVE, LOVE, LOVE listening to music in my 2013 MCS!!! I installed the Integral Audio full soundstage & sub kit as soon as I took delivery in Jan 2013. The price did seem high initially but is worth EVERY penny. I now think maybe it was too reasonable...Just the endless hours of engineering to create an "exactness" of soundstage fill inside the car is a feat that only after some listening time can be fully appreciated.

The sound accuracy, separation, clarity and depth is still such a joy to hear 5 years later. Just the other day I was listening to a track with some very subtle complex base notes and STILL marvel over how perfectly they resonate inside the car.

Also, Integral Audio is the best vendor. As many will testify, Kevin Bennett stands behind his products before and after the sale and will personally take the time to help anyone.

Now the downside of owning the Integral Audio kit.... becoming obsessed with the fantastic sound quality! Satellite radio sounds OK (but too compressed). I now only listen to CDs or a Gen5 Ipod (with the Wolfson chip) loaded with lossless tracks to really enjoy the sound accuracy. And, I can never sell this Mini!! Sometimes I sit in the garage (with a charger on the battery) to really appreciate the incredible sound!

Thanks Kevin for creating such a fine product and making my Mini such a joy!!!
 
  #165  
Old 01-21-2018, 01:03 PM
Pabs
Pabs is offline
Neutral
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am buying a 2010 Cooper Clubman with standard audio. Have seen a s/h HK set, speakers, head, amp, about $150, but from a 2006 Mini. Will it fit mine, and will it make a worthwhile difference? Thanks, Paul
 
  #166  
Old 01-21-2018, 01:40 PM
bratling's Avatar
bratling
bratling is offline
6th Gear
iTrader: (2)
Join Date: May 2009
Location: North of Boston, MA
Posts: 1,514
Received 83 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by Pabs View Post
I am buying a 2010 Cooper Clubman with standard audio. Have seen a s/h HK set, speakers, head, amp, about $150, but from a 2006 Mini. Will it fit mine, and will it make a worthwhile difference? Thanks, Paul
It is not compatible. Even if you could wire it up, it would not sound good. Different interior shape, different resonances, different speaker positions.

Keep looking for an R56 HK system. Or just buy an amp and a set of components for the front. I was stunned just how good music sounded in my 2009 Clubman when I put in a set of 2-way Infinity drivers in the front (mid woofer in the door, tweeters in the A-pillars, disabled the factory 3.5Ē middle drivers) driven by a JL Audio XD200/2. Even speaker drivers alone make a huge difference.
 
  #167  
Old 02-17-2018, 08:20 AM
white3
white3 is offline
4th Gear
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Redmond, Wa
Posts: 330
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also must chime in about the Integral Audio Soundstage. I have a 2010 R56 and having put up with the HK system long enough, I installed the IA subwoofer first, and then went with the entire system. Wow! What a difference! Since the entire system is tuned to the car right from the start-you dont need to change treble, bass etc to get the sound correct. It has been tested to sound as accurate as possible with all controls in the default position. Its not an inexpensive system-but if you really love music, its worth every penny. (And with MINI charging as much as they do for packages these days, its really not out of line) If you plan on keeping your car-get this system, you will not regret it.
 
  #168  
Old 02-17-2018, 04:51 PM
AZdsrt's Avatar
AZdsrt
AZdsrt is offline
6th Gear
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 1,458
Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts
The guy from IA use to post on this forum frequently, haven't seen him around in a long time..
 
  #169  
Old 02-17-2018, 05:34 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher's Avatar
Minnie.the.Moocher
Minnie.the.Moocher is offline
6th Gear
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: earth PNW
Posts: 4,731
Received 400 Likes on 348 Posts
IA, gave up waiting on them to finish the system for the F56. No longer a vendor here, either is Bavsound. Just not enough audio dollars on the MINI side of things to keep them happy.
 
  #170  
Old 02-17-2018, 05:50 PM
bratling's Avatar
bratling
bratling is offline
6th Gear
iTrader: (2)
Join Date: May 2009
Location: North of Boston, MA
Posts: 1,514
Received 83 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by AZdsrt View Post
The guy from IA use to post on this forum frequently, haven't seen him around in a long time..
Heís not active much on the forums lately, but heís alive and working on projects. But...

Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher View Post
IA, gave up waiting on them to finish the system for the F56. No longer a vendor here, either is Bavsound. Just not enough audio dollars on the MINI side of things to keep them happy.
...like Minnie the Moocher (great song) says, the MINI market is damn small and hard to make a living on. Especially when you care as much about quality as Kevin does. BavSound makes semi-generic parts that drop into any BMW; IA tunes the driver design and crossovers for specific cars. Itís a lot more time-intensive ó and this expensive ó way to make a product.

My point being: I donít think itís about there being enough dollars to keep them happy. I donít think there are enough dollars anymore to keep them eating.

MINI sales have been dropping steadily for years, and BMW has changed its target audience from people with passion (who tend to be willing to buy products like expensive sound systems) to people who just want a four door hatch or wagon. The Countryman sells well and is keeping MINI USA alive, but a passion car it ainít.
 
  #171  
Old 02-19-2018, 08:41 AM
white3
white3 is offline
4th Gear
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Redmond, Wa
Posts: 330
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Speaking of passion, I just dont see it as much in the 3rd gen forums as I did in the 2nd gen forum. I also get the feeling that attributes such as audio quality are falling out of favor. Its all about visual tech in cars now. Everyone talks about Teslas big touch screens but I have never once saw a review of how their sound system performed. MINI has been doing well on the tech front (heads up display, touchscreen interface etc) but has never really provided great sound systems from the factory.
 
  #172  
Old 05-03-2018, 05:48 AM
kurtsunn's Avatar
kurtsunn
kurtsunn is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 95
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not sure if this is even active, but does anyone know if the base stereo 6.5" driver can be replaced with the HK 6.5" driver - don't care too much about sonic quality, more concerned about it fitting physically and the connector working - just need to get a stereo back to working as a result of a blown speaker in the base stereo setup.
 
  #173  
Old 05-03-2018, 08:02 AM
bratling's Avatar
bratling
bratling is offline
6th Gear
iTrader: (2)
Join Date: May 2009
Location: North of Boston, MA
Posts: 1,514
Received 83 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by kurtsunn View Post
Not sure if this is even active, but does anyone know if the base stereo 6.5" driver can be replaced with the HK 6.5" driver - don't care too much about sonic quality, more concerned about it fitting physically and the connector working - just need to get a stereo back to working as a result of a blown speaker in the base stereo setup.
Donít do it, unless you get the part for free the sonic characteristics donít match at all; better to have a disconnected speaker. But let me be helpful instead now:
https://www.allmagautoparts.com/coll...io-radio-parts

good vendor, Iíve had good experiences buying from them.

i wonder if I still have the door speakers from my pre-upgrade R55 in the garageÖ Iíll check tonight. If I do Iíll mail you one. Iíve got no use for them.
 
  #174  
Old 05-03-2018, 08:48 AM
kurtsunn's Avatar
kurtsunn
kurtsunn is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 95
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bratling View Post


Donít do it, unless you get the part for free the sonic characteristics donít match at all; better to have a disconnected speaker. But let me be helpful instead now:
https://www.allmagautoparts.com/coll...io-radio-parts

good vendor, Iíve had good experiences buying from them.

i wonder if I still have the door speakers from my pre-upgrade R55 in the garageÖ Iíll check tonight. If I do Iíll mail you one. Iíve got no use for them.
Wow, if you do have them and could send one that would be great. This is really a project car for me and the first car for my step daughter, sadly, ever since we got it, it's been one thing after an other ... CELs, blown runflat, and now the blown speaker ... your time, effort and generosity are really appreciated.
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
igzekyativ
MINIs & Minis for Sale
31
02-07-2019 05:23 PM
marendt428
MINI Parts for Sale
68
11-14-2015 10:03 AM
marendt428
MINIs & Minis for Sale
0
08-08-2015 04:44 AM
ECSTuning
Vendor Announcements
0
08-07-2015 08:02 AM
ECSTuning
Interior/Exterior Products
0
08-05-2015 02:11 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio MINI Audio Basics: Specs, Details, and Upgrades


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: