Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Upgrade mini cooper audio system

Old 06-20-2011, 08:15 PM
Mayfair
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upgrade mini cooper audio system

Hi guys,

I'm sorry for posting this new thread, as I am unable to find a good solution on from existing threads.

I have a 2010 cooper mayfair with the standard audio system(non harmon/kar) and would like to upgrade it.

I have a subwoofer in mind that i saw at bestbuy. It fits perfect in the trunk without loosing a lot of space.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...ount/TS-SWX251

But im not sure where to start. Not sure if there is rca out behind the stock reciever? Do i need a line coverter? Is there an existing amp. Shall i update the tweeters as well?

Looking some experienced suggestions.

Thanks a ton!

Old 06-21-2011, 11:07 AM
Kevin@Integral Audio
Banned
Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
BMW/MINI doesn't make it easy for you to upgrade, and they sure as heck weren't kind enough to give you RCA outputs on the back of the stock head unit. Which really wouldn't be too much to ask since they made it extremely difficult to replace the factory head unit.

By the time you add an amp, wiring, and mounting hardware to that Pioneer kit, you're going to be significantly closer cost-wise to our Subwoofer System for the MINI. And you'll still have to figure out where/how to mount everything, and most important you'd have a system that doesn't perform nearly as well or look nearly as good as ours. Our 1101S system also provides a foundation for our upcoming Soundstage upgrade.

If our system isn't what you are looking for, no worries - you'll find our installation instructions (under the "Installation" tab) will help you navigate doing the installation on your own.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:46 PM
markwrwilson
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
look in the sticky R56 speaker upgrade in the Nav audio section. Speakers are the same in the clubbie. I just completely upgraded my audio but left head unit stock :-)

I used a JL sub that fits perfectly in the section below the rear deck