Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Android USB audio?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 12:53 PM
ian3
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Android USB audio?

Hello,

I haven't seen this issue posted yet. I recently got an Android phone (ATT Inspire 4g) and it's able to mount as a USB drive but will always result with either Error or Empty on the display.

Does anyone have experience with mounting android-based phone via USB to play music on them? Is there's a specific step that should be taken, aside from mounting as a drive as per a typical USB stick with mp3's on it?

Some notes: The music is DRM free, the drive in the phone is formated Fat32 (8gb) and I have a 2010 S.

Thanks

Old 05-05-2011, 01:29 PM
Precise
1st Gear
I don't have anything to go by being that I still haven't taken delivery of my car..but I would ask the following:

Where on your Androids SD card are the music files? Are they on the root of the drive? Try putting a mp3 on the root and seeing if it picks that up...I am curious of this myself as I have a phone with the android OS as well.

Old 05-05-2011, 04:03 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Although Prescise has some valid points they really are not problem for the android OS to Car USB.

I have a Motorola Droid X and use the USB connection all the time to play music thru the car.

My music files are in a number of different locations on teh phone and it finds them all.

card>Music>Artist>Album>Track

card>Artist>Track

card>ringtones

card>Media>Audio>Ringtones

It finds all of these

There are a nubmjer of differetn problems I have seen on the Android phones.

1. USB Must be set to Mass Storage (can not use PC Mode)

2. Some phones require that USB Debugging be Enabled others need it disabled (this is not car specific but phone specific)

3. Some phones no matter what the settings they will not work due to driver issues for the hardware in the phone.

So try different combinations of the Debuging settings and make sure you have the latest drives installed for the USB hardware in the phone.

If you can not get it to work get back to me. hopefully it works if not then hopefully i can find the same phone localy to do some testing with.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:32 AM
ian3
2nd Gear
Thanks guys. I fooled around with the USB debugging setting yesterday and managed to get it work, before reading this post. However, I tried it again on my ride home and using the exact same settings, it refused to work and resulted in "USB Error" when navigating to the drive.

I keep my music in a Music folder on the root of the SD card.

From what I can tell, this functionality is really finicky, requiring constant rebooting of the device to get things to stick.

Same with getting BT to work. Sometimes it connects, sometimes it results in syncing, but doesn't actually connect the headset. Really frustrating when you're in the car 15 minutes prior, you get in thinking it's still connected, and then a call comes in, and it's not. Especially in NYC traffic. Ugh.