Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio 12" Subs...is one enough?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 01:11 PM
MiniMac
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My MINI goes in on Monday for the much belated stereo system upgrade.

Not sure on which head unit or amp(s) for sure yet, but here is the plan:

The new MB Quart NRA450 Head unit.
MB Quart components
Lightning Audio 12" sub (in a sweetass custom enclosure) in the boot.
Alpine MRV F450 5 Channel Amp.

This should be loud, but most importantly, very clean! I want quality.

But I am so used to using a pair of 10'" or 12" subs in my other cars.

Is a single 12" sub loud enough? Should I go with a pair?
Should I go with more power? Is a single 5 channel amp enough?

Any help and or advise would be great.

Thanks!

Old 01-19-2004, 01:36 PM
mini58
2nd Gear
12" Subs... is one enough?

Well, it all depends on how hungry you are. I can finish off a 12" chicken parm sub with room to spare but I don't know that I could finish two of them

Old 01-19-2004, 04:28 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
um, I can't say I recommend any of the components you've picked out, just from a fundamental quality perspective

No professional offense to MB Quart, but realistically, their products are designed to obtain a "certain sound", which has no basis with resolution or overall sound quality. In short, MB Quart has always defined the words "Harsh" and "Sibilant"

If you're looking for quality, I recommend Scan Speak Revelator series drivers, and the like. If you need to tone down the budget a bit, then pick the Vifa PL line. Be prepared to design your own passive crossover, or go fully active. Need a component set prepackaged? hmmm, Phoenix Gold Ti line uses Morel drivers, which are respectable. Also, if Diamond Audio uses Eton drivers, which are also good to work with.

I'd say go for Precision Power amplifiers - similar price points as the Alpine, but much better circuit design.

As for the sub, you can use one 10" if you like, or four 12's if you desire. The question is - what kind of SPL are you looking for? Most likely you'll want a sealed enclosure to easily implement into the MINI's acoustics. Based on that, I'd say one 12" should be fine for 90% of the time, unless you're a total basshead. Adire Audio has some of the best high displacement drivers around. Next would be Dayton, and then likely a few random car audio companies.

If you're looking for the highest of low frequency resolution, then I'd say two 10"s in individual acoustic-suspension enclosures, setup in stereo. I'd pick the Scan-Speak 25W/8565-01 - lol, prepare to sacrifice your trunk - they need lots of Vb, but are among the absolute cleanest woofers I've ever tested.

Good luck,
Ryan

Old 01-20-2004, 09:14 AM
MiniMac
4th Gear
Thanks for your advise Ryan. You really seem to know your stuff.
Might I ask, how did you become so knowledgable?

My reasons for my system choices are as follows.
I have the 5 channel Alpine. Bought it a year ago to run a pair of
12" subs in my Tahoe. The MB Quart head unit and speakers I am
getting at a smoking prices from a MB Quart rep. I really can't pass up the deals.
Same goes for the Lightning Audio sub. He just built the Lightning Audio Scion for CES was last week.
This is stuff is new products not yet available to the public.
It was extra stuff that wasn't used in the PROJECT Vehicles.

I put my trust in Scott. The Pioneer link is his World Record Truck: Scott Ownes of edge Audio at the DB Drags

Old 01-20-2004, 10:09 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
One 12" sub in a small MINI boot should be fine. There really isn't that much room back there.
I'd keep it simple.

Old 01-22-2004, 11:00 PM
Kurtster
4th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts
If you need more than one 12" (I think 10" is enough) sub for your MINI, you bought the wrong car.

Excellent bass response can be had by a single, quality 12" sub in a 20 x 20' LIVING ROOM. You're dealing with a small, enclosed environment. Anything more is just for show or hearing damage, neither of which are desirable to me.