Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio GROM USB question

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 04:58 PM
kindofblue
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GROM USB question

A quick question--

I'm thinking of buying this GROM USB unit as it's inexpensive and will allow me to retain my head unit. I had stock USB integration in my 09 Honda Fit and it was awesome--no need to charge an iPod!

But, uh, where can I put that brick thing in the dash? It's about the size of a pack of cards or two, as seen in this install video. Do I need to worry about heat?

Thanks!

Last edited by kindofblue; 01-27-2011 at 12:57 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:54 AM
mini44
4th Gear
The glove box seems logical to me. This looks interesting. Let us know how it works when you get it.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:23 PM
krishnika
2nd Gear
Have you thought about getting a Euro parcel shelf? They are very convenient for organizing cable connections.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:03 PM
kindofblue
1st Gear
What I'd like to do is route the cables into the glove box or into the side of the euro parcel shelf. But I'd rather stow the GROM unit/brick somewhere inside or behind the dash so that way it doesn't eat up precious storage space.

I had been thinking somewhere above or behind the fuzzy stuff in the glovebox but I can't find a photo of what the glove box looks like with its liner removed.

Krishnika, I noticed you have a GROM ipod connector; where did you put the GROM brick?

For another example or size reference, in this Altima installation they just put it in a dash bin, but it eats up all that space!

Old 01-27-2011, 01:25 PM
kindofblue
1st Gear
...I just did some reading on the GROM site and it looks like they have a trunk install for the CD changer. I wasn't aware we all were pre-wired for the changer. Maybe this is the most pain-free way to do the install?

Image of the trunk connector (sorry its so small):

Old 01-27-2011, 01:33 PM
krishnika
2nd Gear
I first bought the trunk install and then bought the cables to wire directly to the back of the radio, which I prefer. I'm not handy enough to remove the side trim pieces to completely hide the cable from the back and it was really annoying me. Plus they give you a separate,white extension cable that is fatter and harder to hide for both reasons (fat and white). I've got the box hidden behind the radio - there was plenty of room for that as well as the Ian Cull auto-up module since I have auto A/C. If your box has plugs that you want to access, you can always attach it to the Euro parcel shelf itself with velcro. Or if you don't need access and it doesn't fit behind the radio you can attach it behind the parcel shelf out of view.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:15 PM
kindofblue
1st Gear
Thanks for the reply (VELCRO! Of course!)--one last question:

Do you have to use the posi-tap connectors for the trunk install?

In other words, were you to install it in the trunk, could you just plug it into the cd-changer connectors and leave it be, assuming you'd have to open the trunk and plug in your usb every time you changed music?

I have some fear about screwing with the wiring, you see...and because I wouldn't need to see the usb stick (unlike an ipod) I'd just as soon plug it in and leave it alone.

Really appreciate the reply!

Old 01-27-2011, 05:54 PM
krishnika
2nd Gear
The trunk connection is plug and play - easy enough for even me! The HU connection requires the posi connectors. I had a shop do it for me since I didn't want to mess anything up. It took a few tries to get the connections working - it would have been a serious pain on my own without his equipment to test the current. But I'm really pleased now that it's done.

If you can do a good job hiding the cable coming from the trunk, it is an easier solution. You need to check measure to where you want to put the ipod to decide what length extension cord to buy if you're going that way.

edit - I reread your post and realized you're not using an ipod, but a usb stick with music on it. So I guess you don't need to route any cables - just stuff them all in the trunk compartment. Does that work? How do you choose music?

edit again - I'm giving you all my info for the ipod adapter. I hope it's applicable to the USB adapter, but I'm not sure since I've never seen those versions.

Last edited by krishnika; 01-27-2011 at 05:59 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:05 PM
kindofblue
1st Gear
No, no--you've got the right idea. It just lets you take a usb thumb drive and plug it into the box, then control everything from the head unit. This is what it looks like in the glovebox of my Honda:

If you want to have a playlist you just make a folder (so I'd just put the mp3s of an audiobook in a folder marked "War and Peace," for example). I think navigating playlist to playlist is done using the disc change buttons but don't quote me.

Quite honestly, I just keep everything in a big list, usually, and whenever I download some new track I just throw it on the thumb drive in a big mash. I rarely have more than fifteen-twenty songs I'm listening to at a moment; blame it on the old CD-R days and my ADD.

Because there isn't really an advantage to me keeping it close to the dash (don't need to look at an ipod) I can just put it in the trunk.

You've been TREMENDOUSLY helpful; I would have bought the HU connection and doubtless botched the wiring in some way. Before today I couldn't figure out why on earth anyone would want to trunk mount the USB version and screw around with extension cords for power, etc!

Old 01-27-2011, 07:41 PM
krishnika
2nd Gear
Glad to be of help. I shuffle through about 1800 songs! so USB wouldn't work well for me. I just made the switch last fall after years of fumbling with 25 CDs in the passenger seat. I never know in advance what kind of music I'll be in the mood for and I would spend at least 10 minutes before every trip trying to decide which 25 CDs to take with me! IPod is much safer and I love seeing the album art and song title so I know what I'm listening to. Hope your choice works out well for you!

Old 02-05-2011, 09:57 AM
kindofblue
1st Gear
Just wanted to say I got my adapter, and like krishnika said, you just open the right panel in the trunk, plug in the cords, and turn on the stereo. Took all of twenty seconds!

The brick is about 3x2x1 inches. Pretty small.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:30 AM
Xtrackdog
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you any opinions on the Bluetooth Dongle that Grom sells? I have an 05 MCS with H/K system. I hooked up the Mini Aux but would like Bluetooth. Upgrading the Mini audio system has been quite educational.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:04 PM
CornerHugger
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did any of you install the grom in a vehicle with the H/k system? There is an amp where the changer would be an the trunk install adapter doesn't match up to anything. :(