Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Australian newbie question about head units

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 09:45 PM
Kuneman
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey everyone, i am 18 years old and live in Australia and am about to but a mini cooper s and unlike many of my friends have no idea about sound systems and are wondering if i could please have some recommendations.

The audio market is probably quite different between America and Australia, but i like the look of the head units that pop up the video screen that you can watch tv and stuff on.

Are they any good or are they just a **** for such an expensive price? Am I better off just using the cd player that the mini cooper S already comes with?

Old 10-29-2003, 09:59 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Kuneman,
Aloha and welcome to NAM

For the MCS it comes with a really good stock audio system which you already have with the car. Try it out and see how it works for you first. Need more bass then look at the infinity Basslink as an option- it's a powered subwoofer that fits into the rear boot and doesn't take up too much space.

Adding the video screens is expensive and adds complexity which usually means lowered reliability. True it is nifty but to get a good unit will cost about $2000 plus labor to install it.

$2000 could be better spent on custom lightweight wheels because the MCS stock wheels especially the 17" S-lytes are very heavy. If you can stick with the 16" X-lytes that come standard you might be better off. Performance is better but the looks are not as nice.

Old 11-01-2003, 11:44 PM
Cypher
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
depends on how are you into the sound system....
if you're crazy enough.. then I suggest these brands:

Nakamichi ( CD400 , CD 500 , CD700 II)
Eclipse (any) <- These one has monitors......
McIntosh (MX406, MX2000 if you can get)
Denon (Z1, R1)

if you're not into sound system
or if you like those fancy face plate ...

then get Alpine...

well i really recomend Eclipse since u want to have monitors....... I don't know which type... but mos eclipse stuff are High Quality....

(Pioneer sucks IMO )
hop this help...

daniel-