Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio I dont have H/k - upgrade advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2003, 09:08 AM
sdanaher
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I have the stock system, without the H/K upgrade.

What should my uipgrade path be to get better sound - NOT insane bass with 2 giant subs. just better quality.

Dynamat in the doors? and amp? new speakers? How would you rank the order of what I should do, and why?

I dont relaly want to replace the headunit. im a nut about changing anything visible in the car to non-stock. to each his own...

Old 10-03-2003, 09:55 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
>>I have the stock system, without the H/K upgrade.
>>
>>What should my uipgrade path be to get better sound - NOT insane bass with 2 giant subs. just better quality.
>>
>>Dynamat in the doors? and amp? new speakers? How would you rank the order of what I should do, and why?
>>
>>I dont relaly want to replace the headunit. im a nut about changing anything visible in the car to non-stock. to each his own...

Ok, lets look at options one at a time.

Headunit- keep it stock for now. Good stock look but limited performance (limited amp and limited playback). As you upgrade other things you will at some point note that the stock CD player has it's limitations because you will hear it.

Upgrade the Amp.- the stock speakers are fairly efficient you could add an amp but adding an amp might be a better choice if you upgraded the speakers and matched the speakers to the amp usually 4 channel x 30 W or better.

Upgrade the speakers- I did this first and kept everything the same and though I spent some $600 I did not hear that much difference. It was limited benefit until I upgraded the amp. Once I did that I could hear the limitations of the CD player.

Add Dynamat or better add Dynamat extreme or Cascade audio VB-2 or VB-max. Different grades different prices all doing the same thing of sound deadening and vibration reduction. Start with the front doors-that makes the most difference. People do add it to the rear boot and rear seat and quarter panels but it costs more. This sound deadening is helpful with any system but some materials are not easily removed so be careful if you plan to do upgrades later. I did this upgrade last.

Add a subwoofer. For the stock system the easiest sub to add is the Infinity BassLink because it is a powered subwoofer in a small container that fits into the boot. Roughly $269 plus installation. Adds to the stock system and has built in 200 Watt amp. For small price this is a good choice if you like the deeper bass.

So on a limited budget one possible thing to do would be to add the Infinity BassLink and some sort of removable sound deadening material. VB-max is nice since it peels off via an adhesive backing and is easy to work with, just cut with a scissors.

If you replace the speakers you have to be careful that the new speakers should be just as or more efficient which isn't easy to do.

The stock stereo is not bad at all if you don't play it too loud. If you upgrade your exhaust it will be easy for the exhaust noise to overpower the stock stereo. Be careful.