Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

R56 LCI Bluetooth Audio + Controls

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2023, 03:28 PM
Northern
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
R56 LCI Bluetooth Audio + Controls

I have:
An LCI R56 MCS
Non-Nav
"Boost" Non-Premium sound radio/CD/Aux
No USB
No CD Changer

At the moment my Bluetooth setup is:
Cig lighter flush-fit 2-port USB port
USB powered bluetooth aux unit, but lacks steering wheel controls, track information, etc.
This works, but it takes up the center console area and doesn't allow control/display track info.

I want to find a bluetooth solution that gives:
Bluetooth audio
Steering wheel/head unit controls
Ideally track information

I don't want:
A standalone e-waste remote clipped to the steering wheel.
I don't want some screened nav/AA/Carplay unit

This seems to be a joke for a Pre-LCI car:
One of these "Mr12Volt" A2DP units supposedly works, but LCI cars don't have a POF port?: https://www.ebay.com/itm/255202997460
OEM Mini bluetooth retrofit exists, but the "End" date for fitment is 2010.

On the other hand, I can't find anything out there for LCI cars.

I think there are few ways to go about it:
  • Find a way to input to the head unit (in such a way that satisfies the audio/controls/info wants) in current form by finding some adapter, maybe hijack the CD function somehow - Unsuccessful so far...
  • Buy the same head unit, but setup for a CD changer and use something like this: https://gromaudio.com/store/most_ada...optofiber.html
  • Retrofit USB and try a USB dongle (may not exist/work with audio over USB)
  • Retrofit USB, Oldschool USB+AUX to Ipod adapter, and a bluetooth adapter (should work for audio, not sure if USB is only for power or if it also does controls/track info. I haven't found anything about retrofitting USB either.)
Basically I'd love to know if anyone else has pulled this off, otherwise if anyone knows anything beyond what I've posted, I'd love to hear it.

I think the rear of the head unit looks like this (if there's a CD changer, there's an additional port to the right of the black connector on the left.

Last edited by Northern; 01-26-2023 at 03:35 PM.
Old 01-27-2023, 03:23 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,724 Likes on 1,387 Posts
This device is the only plug-n-play solution that I know of:
https://www.viseeointernational.com/tune2air

Hoqever, to use this device, your car needs to have been equipped with the USB and aux jacks for iPod use.

Old 01-27-2023, 06:11 AM
Northern
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by njaremka
This device is the only plug-n-play solution that I know of:
https://www.viseeointernational.com/tune2air

Hoqever, to use this device, your car needs to have been equipped with the USB and aux jacks for iPod use.
Yeah I bought something like that a few years ago for the crappy old head unit on my e30, except it plugs into the ipod connector.

I think the problem with doing that in my R56 is retrofitting USB to a car that came without - I'm not sure if the port even exists on the head unit.
After looking at a few of them yesterday, there seem to be a handful of port configurations, it looks like they add extra ports for CD changer? USB? White connector on bottom.

This variant lacks the "Bluetooth" label, but has a Sirius label

This one says both "Bluetooth" and "Sirius"

This one is "Bluetooth" only, also from a UK car, so may be other differences.

Most on ebay seem to be this last variant

I think at this point, I need to check if my head unit has that port. If port exists, try something like this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32295413460.html

Last edited by Northern; 01-27-2023 at 12:43 PM.
Old 01-27-2023, 01:26 PM
Northern
2nd Gear
So that aliexpress link got me thinking...

The green cable is definitely for USB, but the white 12-pin aux cable had me thinking. I dug some more and found these:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001621653267.html

So this seems pretty slick. Fully integrated Bluetooth 5.0 + mic (the mic in the current setup is terrible)

Based on some of the units showing only 5 wires in total and looking at pinouts for this connector, I'm 99% sure it can't skip/reverse tracks or display track info, but it would be a very clean setup for someone who doesn't need that.

Now I'm more confused because the steering wheel controls are clearly connected to the head unit, but I don't see how from the wiring diagrams unless it's CANBUS...

Last edited by Northern; 01-27-2023 at 01:34 PM.
Old 01-30-2023, 05:14 AM
Josh Falk
1st Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
For all the effort you're putting into this, I'd just replace the whole unit with one that has Android Auto/CarPlay like this one. Unless you REALLY like the speedo it's going to give you all the functionality you're looking for.

Edit: Just saw you don't want a screen. Good luck!

Old 01-30-2023, 07:46 AM
Northern
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Josh Falk
For all the effort you're putting into this, I'd just replace the whole unit with one that has Android Auto/CarPlay like this one. Unless you REALLY like the speedo it's going to give you all the functionality you're looking for.

Edit: Just saw you don't want a screen. Good luck!
Yeah if the car had nav in the first place, I'd be all about it, but I'm partial to the analog tach and want to make every reasonable effort to keep it.
That AA/CP unit is miles better than some others I've seen, some are downright hideous.

If it weren't for the price, I'd be happier to give it a shot. I have a wireless AA/CP double din in my Outback and it really is the way to go (especially since the car came from factory with a double din/fit kit/adapters installed already, and the swap was 1/3 the cost of the mini version)
Right now the closest alternative seems to be that USB retrofit setup from further down the page + the unit njaremka posted. That should get me track display/skip ability but lacks mic input and I'm pretty sure hands-free calling won't work.

Might end up pulling the trigger on one of those AA/CP units anyway, with the wireless option I guess.
OBD2 diag would be a good option but it looks like the unit is unchanged, they just throw in a $10 ELM327 WiFi unit for a huge markup.

Edit: just realized it's wireless CP + WIRED AA. That's a hard stop lol, may as well just buy an aux cable if I have to dig my phone out and plug it in. 80% chance it's just a USB dongle so I could simply buy a truly wireless one separately.

Last edited by Northern; 01-30-2023 at 07:53 AM.
The following users liked this post:
x_up_nex (02-20-2023)
Old 01-30-2023, 09:17 AM
Josh Falk
1st Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Yeah that unit is stupid expensive - my hope is that one of these days they throw a big sale and I can get one for a bit less. For now I've got a Raspberry Pi running Android Auto with a program called Crankshaft that I connected to a 7" touchscreen that mounts in the CD player. Doesn't look stock but works well enough for $100. Unit does Wireless, but I found a way to Quick charge my Pixel 6 so my commute is the only charging my phone needs.

The following users liked this post:
Northern (02-03-2023)