Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio More power for gadgets from cig lighter

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 06:32 PM
rob_gendreau
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More power for gadgets from cig lighter

Just in case other folks have a need for more power outlets in their MC, here’s a pretty easy solution.

It involves splicing into the wires that run to the cig lighter plug. Unfortunately I don’t have pix, but I think this will get you started.

First you have to pry up the plastic housing that sits around your emergency/parking brake. There are two screws (torx) in the front cupholders, and one in the rear that need to be removed. Then muscle it up gently. I didn’t want to raise it too far cuz it would cause the Speed and ASC buttons to probably become disconnected, which might be a pain to reattach.

You can feel inside just under the cig lighter plug, and pull the plug that attaches to its underside. It’s a female connector to two blades on cig lighter plug. There are two wires to it; check to see which is hot and which is ground (usually the tube is neg, the tip is pos). They aren’t the usual colors (don’t ask me what color they are...I’m colorblind. But one is spotted). And you do have the power off, right?

I then used these connectors to make a T-type connection to the wires: http://www.posi-lock.com/. They’re pretty easy to use, and they just will stuff back into the recess so that you can close it all back up. I connected two wire from the cig lighter wires, and then attached these to a female cig lighter receptacle I got at R-Shack (again, make sure your polarity is correct). So now I have two cig lighter outlets. I didn’t bother to fuse the second one separately; it’s gonna be used solely for my Sirius Stiletto’s power adapter (which, frustratingly, has a transformer in it, so that I have to use the cig lighter plug).

Rob

Old 05-26-2008, 08:47 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
NewMiniStuff sells a plug in harness that plugs into the factory wiring for the cig lighter and gives you additional sockets or bare wires to tap off of also.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:31 PM
rob_gendreau
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BTW, has anyone ever converted their cig lighter receptacles to BMW style accessory plugs (I don’t know if they use them in their cars, I’ve seen them on BMW motorcycles). They’re much nicer and tidier than cig lighters.

Rob

Old 05-27-2008, 09:10 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a BMW style plug on my CBR for my electric liners. It doesn't seem much different than a regular cig lighter socket. A little smaller, but basically the same.

Maybe I'm thinking of something different what you are referring to.