Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio USB HARD DRIVES and USB KEYS

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 09:31 PM
MINImizeMe
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kiltlifter
Well, well well....

The option is clearly labled as "Media Connect" which includes Bluetooth wireless technology and USB Audio Integration (order code 6ND) no where in any of the literature does it state that this is an IPod specific connection.
Actually the code is 6NE as i see in my order sheet. and it says "Comfort Bluetooth and USB/iPod adapter" this is included in the convenience package. They will not mention iPod if there is no adapter cable included.

I guess anyone taking delivery should better check if they have this cable before signing on the dotted line, and not be lost in the excitement of getting their MINIs.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:49 PM
MINImizeMe
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by TUDOR II
I'm also going to work on getting a hard drive working. I'm not giving up on that!
Hey Tudor!!! sorry to hear about the whole adapter cable thing. My MINI has the convenience package and is on production. I will definitely look out for the cable before taking delivery.

BTW, any luck on getting the hard drive to work. I was also wondering about the same thing. I may not be saying this right, but would an intermediate power buffer circuit with some capacitors help (which helps avoid power surges during vehicle on/off).

Anyway, good luck with the cable and the hard drive project.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:49 PM
VintageMac
2nd Gear
iPod vs. USB

I have read through all of the NAM threads relating to an external music source for the Mini. It is obvious that there is a LOT of confusion about what works and what doesn't regarding the iPod and USB sources

What it boils down to is this: The Mini audio system has a volatile memory. The iPod has a non-volatile memory.

You hook up the iPod to the Mini audio system with the Mini-supplied USB/stereo audio cable using the AUX input. Although the hookup is through the USB receptacle, the Mini still recognizes that the source is an iPod and it shows "iPod" on the Mini audio screen. The Mini computer does not need to cache the music on the iPod - it merely takes over the control functions found on the iPod itself. So, it uses the indexing which is already in the non-volatile memory of the iPod.

Functionally, when you are listening to music on the iPod, the navigation and selection of music is as fast as if you were using the iPod controls themselves. When you turn off the car, the iPod stops the song. When you return to the car and start it up, the iPod resumes. It may resume at the beginning of the song or track you were last listening to, but it does resume play at that point.

Now if you use a USB stick, flash card or external hard drive (whether powered through the USB connector or with an external power source), the Mini computer recognizes that it is such a source (not an iPod) and shows "USB" on the Mini audio screen. It handles the source differently.

In this case, each time you insert the USB drive, the Mini computer must look at all the files on the drive and then index them before it can display the contents. If it is a low capacity USB drive, the indexing is fairly quick. However everyone wants ALL their music available, so they tend toward high-capacity USB drives. This means that the Mini computer must index all of that music before it is accessible. This takes time - and is complicated by those who have the factory NAV as there is limited processor time available. If the factory NAV system is working, then it gets priority over the audio system.

Functionally, when you are listening to music on a USB drive, the Mini computer must first index the music on the drive before it can be navigated and played. Because the Mini has non-volatile memory it must do this every time you insert the drive AND each time you start the car. So, if you are listening to a song on an album and turn off the car, that information is lost. The next time you turn on the car, the system will go through the process of indexing the music on the USB drive again, but you must then navigate through the indexing to select the album you were listening to and the song, etc. It is not automatic like when using the iPod.

So there you have it (I think)! If you want functionality, then the iPod for your music is the only way to go.

I hope this helps!

Old 05-08-2008, 09:59 PM
MINImizeMe
2nd Gear
Good point... VintageMac. But is this indexing and controls hackable to be used with standard USB hard drives. It may not be worth the effort but can be a nice project though.

Old 05-09-2008, 05:44 AM
geekswrath
5th Gear
Not really sure I agree 100% about the indexing of flash drives. I know the first time I plugged my flash drive in it took a few seconds before it allowed me to use it. No was soon as I start the car I can do whatever with the flash drive. I'm wondering if the battery isn't keeping the index refreshed while the car is off.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:20 AM
nicknbecka
6th Gear
When using a DVD full of MP3s in the Nav's drive the indexing time is long enough that it's obvious when the track info isn't cached.

Just turning the car off isn't enough to clear the cache every time- if I come back from grocery shopping, it still holds. Unless I'm out pretty late, it does seem to re-index by morning. With the comfort access system I suspect it's related to which key is identified first too, since it will re-index sporadically during the day.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:49 AM
TUDOR II
1st Gear
nicknbecka - agreed... I get the same results with a 16gig flash drive.
Even if it does need to index again, it's often still playing whatever was playing before the car was turned off while it does.... and it completes the indexing within 2 minutes or so.
All my music is in the root folder of the drive... not sorted.
I can say for sure that it can continue the last played song up to at least a day after the car was turned off.

Shame - if it wasn't for this indexing delay, I'd have been using the hard drive I mentioned at the beginning of this thread ever since. It was a beautiful thing till it needed to index again!!!! (never completed the second index or ever since - though I haven't waited especially long)

At the end of the day, it seems that the iPod is and was always supposed to be the ideal solution.
Without the iPod, Media Connect is basically a worthless feature unless you have the patience for slow Flash Drive indexing and the other glitches involved like SLOWWWWW scrolling.

Annoying to say the least - especially since I never got the "included" y ipod cable!!

They will no doubt FIX this for '09 models one way or another. CHEAP cars come iPod ready as standard now.... I've already spent $1250 upgrading the audio system and I still can't use it other than AUX in, which is OLD NEWS in the auto industry.
Even with this Y adapter.... we're not getting digital audio to my understanding. Aux ports aren't digital, but USB flash would be. (please correct me if I'm wrong!)
Mini is way behind the curve on this.... and we've bought a car from a company that is too used to charging for add ons like this. That said, I bet they already know they are messing this up. Just watch when the '09s come out!! We'll be twice as pissed to see them rolled out with USB audio and iPod integration WORKING PROPERLY and CHEAPER.... if not INCLUDED!!!

Mini is getting away with substandard audio products here. I hope they know it, and don't get away with it much longer.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:52 AM
nicknbecka
6th Gear
Annoying to say the least - especially since I never got the "included" y ipod cable!!
People who are getting the adapter cable with the car at no charge are getting it because the dealer has done so, not because Mini includes it. The description of the Media Connect has changed at Mini USA recently- when the configurator was first updated for it, it was just listed as a USB/AUX port. I suspect that it was changed because not everyone knows what a USB port is, or that it's iPod connectable.

I'd like to see it change to where the cable's included to- hopefully this will be like the tool kit/tire jack issue with the MCS and someone at Mini USA will make the adjustment.

They will no doubt FIX this for '09 models one way or another. CHEAP cars come iPod ready as standard now....

I've already spent $1250 upgrading the audio system and I still can't use it other than AUX in, which is OLD NEWS in the auto industry.
Even with this Y adapter.... we're not getting digital audio to my understanding. Aux ports aren't digital, but USB flash would be. (please correct me if I'm wrong!)
I think you'll find that any other cars advertising "iPod ready" are only an AUX-in jack or, at most, functionality similar to the Mini's. Standard USB filesystem access isn't available for music stored as part of the iPods music library- I'd be very surprised to hear of anything using the dock connector for anything other than a line out. (Excluding PCs using iTunes)

You can use an iPod as a generic USB Mass Storage device, but the files would have to be un-DRM'd to be readable to anything, and the iPod won't display or play them this way.

We'll be twice as pissed to see them rolled out with USB audio and iPod integration WORKING PROPERLY and CHEAPER.... if not INCLUDED!!!
Apparently, you're not familiar with the previous versions of the iPod adapter. The 08 USB integration is the cheaper included version.

Mini is getting away with substandard audio products here. I hope they know it, and don't get away with it much longer.
To be honest, I think that's a bit over the top- If it's really that important to someone, they should be knowing what they're buying ahead of time and not after the fact. Either it's worth the money or it isn't.

I'm all for voicing displeasure with it- give the dealer low ratings on their post-sales survey for mis-communication about it's limitations, send them letters to complain, but at least be reasonable about it.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:55 PM
TUDOR II
1st Gear
Hey nickandbecca. Thanks for your note.
I really don't think I'm being unreasonable by being underwhelmed after willingly and giddily spending hard-earned $$$ on my Mini.

Defending an overpriced and arguably sub par Hi Fi upgrade isn't good for any of us. I'd like to see change on their end, not complacency on ours.
The more y adapters we buy without saying something, the longer this will go on. This kind of feedback is important to BMW... I hope!!

I agree that anyone should know what they are ordering when they order it... I'd never blame Mini for my choices. I would blame them for their shortcomings though. I think I would categorize my beefs as shortcomings on their end. There is nothing I ordered that I regret... BUT... I did pay $1250 to upgrade the audio system to premium and get USB. Mini's shortcoming is simply not getting with the times and being a bit more honest/generous with either of those packages. That cable.... should.... be.... free....

(and for soooooo many it is...)

No worries though. I think any prospective Mini buyer who has read this thread is now better prepared for his choices - and limitations!
Heck - as you can see it took me weeks to figure out these limits above in the thread in terms of USB... AFTER pickup!! The vague nature of the manual in regards to USB points to them not really understanding themselves, or at least not wanting to define functions to save having to support and fix any problems or slowness.

The rest of the car rocks. Love it. I'd just like to see major change in the Hi Fi connectivity department without customers being gouged for it.

I'm not going after my dealer on this. I WOULD like a free cable from Mini/BMW Canada though. Is that unreasonable!? I think it would be far more unreasonable to give the dealer low ratings because of a Mini package not being what it should. My sales guy is really nice, never overstated anything, and simply wouldn't deserve that.

(Justifiably) Free iPod cables would make a lot of '08 owners happy, including myself.

The USB port without Y adapter is pretty lame. USB Flash for music is SLOWWW in the MCS. Hard Drives effectively don't work. So what's the point without the Y adapter and an iPod? That's my point! Throw the cable in!
Who else agrees?

Old 05-10-2008, 05:37 AM
hfs3
3rd Gear
USB hard drives over 80Gb usually have power supplies as they draw more current than USB can supply. Most of the drives 80Gb and under don't require a power supply other than what is provided by USB. You can pick up one at CompUSA online for $50.

Old 05-10-2008, 06:07 AM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not going after my dealer on this. I WOULD like a free cable from Mini/BMW Canada though. Is that unreasonable!?
I would only say that, if you haven't already, you need to communicate this directly to MINI. While they do keep tabs on the forums, I wouldn't expect them to swoop in and rescue you like a white knight. The thread is a worthwhile discussion for informing others but, for your own sake and any real chance of resolution, make sure you establish direct communication with MINI. I know that MINIUSA has a toll-free number and can only assume that MINICA must also.

Furthermore, I will re-iterate the points made about power to the USB Drive. As a techie, I have had similar occurrences of drives on USB ports that either work sporadically or worked for a short time then no more. Using a Y to pull power from two sources (or an external power supply) has resolved the issue on all but the dead drives.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:56 PM
peter314
5th Gear
hey i have a Creative Zen Vision, first gen and it dosent seem to work, but when i plug it into the computer it acts like a portable HD or Flash drive, so i figured that is should, i went into the properties and it said the disk is formatted as a "Generic Hierarchical" what ever that is. any idea? did somebody mention it Has to be formatted as FAT32? because i dont think i can do that with the zen.

Old 05-31-2008, 02:03 AM
DyeLooper
4th Gear
When ever you use a (anysize) gb hard drive on a computer and its filled to the hilt, the drive will always run slower. What if you used that 16gb flash drive and only filled it 2/3, 1/2 the way. What kinda response time would you get from the Mini system? Is it the head unit that is slowing things down or that you are using a flash drive/hard drive that is practically maxed out. .02

Old 05-31-2008, 03:50 PM
rexicon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by DyeLooper
When ever you use a (anysize) gb hard drive on a computer and its filled to the hilt, the drive will always run slower. What if you used that 16gb flash drive and only filled it 2/3, 1/2 the way. What kinda response time would you get from the Mini system? Is it the head unit that is slowing things down or that you are using a flash drive/hard drive that is practically maxed out. .02
My 3rd gen ipod didn't work w/the y adapter so rather than scrap a perfectly functional ipod I opted to buy a $20 4gb usb stick. I've only got 1gb of music on it so far but it seems lightning quick right now and more than ample for what I need.

On a related note - is there a way to set up playlists on flash memory?

Old 05-31-2008, 06:24 PM
EAVclubbie
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by rexicon
On a related note - is there a way to set up playlists on flash memory?
I set up my flash drive with alphabetical folders to keep from having all of my music in the root directory (still not sure if this was a wise decision... but it helps a bit on scrolling). You could conceivably have folders to keep your highway music in one folder, your cruising music in another, and your "Inspiration Point" music in another...

otherwise, yes... M3U playlists are apparently supported (I haven't yet tried that)

Last edited by EAVclubbie; 05-31-2008 at 06:29 PM.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:33 PM
MiniBella
4th Gear
I have a 20gb Archos G'mini which is about half full. Begins playing the last song I was listening to on start up and syncs the library in less then 30 seconds.

Old 06-01-2008, 06:38 PM
pentavolvo
2nd Gear
i didnt read the whole thread or anything but regarding usb harddrives alot of the time you need to go through a usb hub and give it an external power supply because the usb from the headunit/radio doesnt have enough power to spin the drive up

Old 06-01-2008, 08:40 PM
Bottoz
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm using a 4GB USB drive from BestBuy/GeekSquad. It works fine. What's all this slow talk about?

The Orange on the drive matches perfectly wit the Orange of the MINI display lights.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:41 PM
dwf137
5th Gear
sooo... if i didn't get the usb/bluetooth connection, i'm outa luck? am i reading this correctly?

Old 06-02-2008, 10:20 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by dwf137
sooo... if i didn't get the usb/bluetooth connection, i'm outa luck? am i reading this correctly?

Well not totally, If you have an iPod or other MP3 player that has an audio output it can be used with the Mini radio system but it will not display on the radio screen, and you would have to buy the AUX radio input cable from Mini.

You other option is to check out DICE Electronics at

http://www.diceelectronics.com/Merch...=DICE_IPOD_BMW

They make an iPod integration unit that will display the iPod data on you Mini radio system. It may or may not be compatible with your specific Mini. Call them and they can advise you on your specifics.

Schatzy

Old 06-02-2008, 10:38 AM
dwf137
5th Gear
^I was hoping to use a flash drive.

If I can't, it's not a huge deal... I'm used to using MP3 CD's as I've had an mp3 headunit in my current car for over 6 years now. I'm pretty good at organizing my music now.

Is there a way to retro-fit in the usb cable? I'm pretty car savvy and wouldn't have a problem pulling the dash apart to insert a cable, if that's all it takes.

Old 06-02-2008, 12:17 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
^I was hoping to use a flash drive.

If I can't, it's not a huge deal... I'm used to using MP3 CD's as I've had an mp3 headunit in my current car for over 6 years now. I'm pretty good at organizing my music now.

Is there a way to retro-fit in the usb cable? I'm pretty car savvy and wouldn't have a problem pulling the dash apart to insert a cable, if that's all it takes.
It is a lot more than just inserting a cable. The Head unit has to have the ability to be a computer to the USB drive and search it. It sounds like your Mini is old enough that this was not an option at the time of purchase.

Old 06-02-2008, 12:22 PM
ninja_van1sh
2nd Gear
call me noob, but where the hell is the USB drive? i have an 07

Old 06-02-2008, 12:22 PM
dwf137
5th Gear
Originally Posted by schatzy62
It is a lot more than just inserting a cable. The Head unit has to have the ability to be a computer to the USB drive and search it. It sounds like your Mini is old enough that this was not an option at the time of purchase.
no... my mini is currently in production..

I just didn't get the usb/bluetooth option because I thought 500 bucks was waaay too much to pay when other car companies are including it "for free".

Old 06-02-2008, 01:22 PM
geekswrath
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ninja vanish
call me noob, but where the hell is the USB drive? i have an 07
Well, noob, (sorry couldn't resist) there isn't a USB drive built into the car but the USB hookup is right next to the aux jack, on the roof of the little cubby hole in the center stack.

no... my mini is currently in production..

I just didn't get the usb/bluetooth option because I thought 500 bucks was waaay too much to pay when other car companies are including it "for free".
You could always call your MA and have them redo the order if you really want it. It's not offered for free by other companies you just happen to see the cost in a mini because of the way optioning is done. With other companies you have a choice of a few packages and dealer add-ons. With a mini you can get anything they offer ala cart.

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio USB HARD DRIVES and USB KEYS