Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio SMB Satellite Antenna Cable

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 06:59 AM
GiantMINI
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys, thanks for all of the info on this great hack!

Using Dyeloopers pictures as a guide, I located the purple ended cord through the slit in my April 2008 build "Just a Cooper" using this and fished it out with a bent coathanger. No cutting or torx screwing necessary, all I had to do was move the seat all the way back.

I plugged in the cord that was recommended at the start of this thread and I'm in sirius heaven with my sportster 5. Goodbye cruddy magnet antenna.

Thanks again guys, works great!

Old 07-16-2008, 07:45 PM
tim781996
6th Gear
Originally Posted by n2hcky
I installed my cable today for use with an XM XpressRC and it works great.
3 bars almost all the time. No drop outs so far.
Where do you live? North, South? Large city? I'm going to be doing the same thing as soon as I get my cable and I'm hoping to get a good signal.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:02 PM
tim781996
6th Gear
BTW, just ordered the cable referred to on the first page of this thread: http://www.cdint.com/catalog/model/SB9SBJ-174LN-5. Theres a very nice write-up about the differences between XM & Sirius, and about how us MINI owners from NAM are having great success with this cable.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:11 PM
n2hcky
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by tim781996
Where do you live? North, South? Large city? I'm going to be doing the same thing as soon as I get my cable and I'm hoping to get a good signal.
I am in NW Georgia, small city so no terrestrial antennas.

Old 07-22-2008, 06:21 AM
tim781996
6th Gear
Okay, I've got my Xpress RC installed on my Kuda mount using this extension cable. It works great! Now if I can just figure out how to hard-wire the power it to a switched power source, I'll be happy (relatively)

Old 07-22-2008, 10:21 AM
lacning74
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Okay, I've got my Xpress RC installed on my Kuda mount using this extension cable. It works great! Now if I can just figure out how to hard-wire the power it to a switched power source, I'll be happy (relatively)
Use a mini Add-a-Circuit to tap into fuse F30. Check-out how I hardwired my Garmin GPS for more details and where to ground.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=111280

Old 07-22-2008, 12:24 PM
tim781996
6th Gear
Originally Posted by lacning74
Use a mini Add-a-Circuit to tap into fuse F30. Check-out how I hardwired my Garmin GPS for more details and where to ground.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=111280
Thanks, I saw that thread earlier and I think that's the solution I'm leaning toward. Now does F30 come on with the accessories? In other words, after the first "Start" button push. Originally, I had considered using the cigarette lighter wire, but that only comes on after the second button push.

Of course, the optimal solution would be to have it come when I turn on the radio. I was going to check the wiring at the amp to see if there was an easy way to make that happen before I placed my order.

Old 07-22-2008, 12:38 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
Thanks, I saw that thread earlier and I think that's the solution I'm leaning toward. Now does F30 come on with the accessories? In other words, after the first "Start" button push. Originally, I had considered using the cigarette lighter wire, but that only comes on after the second button push.

Of course, the optimal solution would be to have it come when I turn on the radio. I was going to check the wiring at the amp to see if there was an easy way to make that happen before I placed my order.
Check out this sticky by oPossum. It details all the different fuses. F30 is a "Terminal 15" type that turns on and off with the ignition like the cig lighter. A fuse like F21 (the radio fuse) maybe what you want. It turns on when you unlock the doors or after the first push without the ignition on. It stays on though for 30 minutes after you remove the key, like when you can still play the radio.

Old 07-27-2008, 06:18 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
Thanks everyone! I just connected my Sirius Stratus to the oem antenna with the cable from CD International Technology. Works very well. I didn't have to cut a slit in my carpet since the floor under my passenger seat had the plate cover. With the seat all the wasy back, I removed the two screws holding the front edge of the plate, and pried it open. The pink connector was sitting down there within fingers reach.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:03 AM
NashvilleMiniStan
5th Gear
Thanks guys for all the information. I order my cable today.

Old 08-02-2008, 02:10 PM
NashvilleMiniStan
5th Gear
Got the cable yesterday and installed it today. Thanks again for all the information. Works great.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:57 PM
Big Jim Swade
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I ordered a 10' cable from CD International and it arrived today. I installed it going to the rear of my 08 Clubman S with my Kenwood Sirius H2E stuck to the left rear side window. I was hoping to keep the dash very clean and tidy without having my Sirius radio up front, but it is not working for me. Everything plugs in correctly, but the signal barely comes in and cuts out most of the time when I'm using the cable. Either its not compatible with the Kenwood radio or I don't have the right antenna on the top of the car. I went back to the magnite antenna and ran it out the rear door to the roof.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:17 AM
CMG
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Big Jim Swade
I ordered a 10' cable from CD International and it arrived today. I installed it going to the rear of my 08 Clubman S with my Kenwood Sirius H2E stuck to the left rear side window. I was hoping to keep the dash very clean and tidy without having my Sirius radio up front, but it is not working for me. Everything plugs in correctly, but the signal barely comes in and cuts out most of the time when I'm using the cable. Either its not compatible with the Kenwood radio or I don't have the right antenna on the top of the car. I went back to the magnite antenna and ran it out the rear door to the roof.

Please post a pic of the mounting locations
Thanks

Old 09-04-2008, 12:00 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
Originally Posted by VelvetFoot
I tried it and it didn't work for me.
Using the 'antenna aiming' feature on the Roady, I got 4 bars on Satellite with the magnetic mount and 1 bar with the cable.
Anybody want to buy a cable?
There may be hope for XM users thanks to Pilotart's investigations. CD Int sent him a different type of cable (regular vs. low noise) that gives him improved reception over the magnetic antenna. I wonder if this cable will improve reception for my Sportster 5. I haven't any difference.

Check out the thread.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:17 PM
VelvetFoot
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
CD Int was kind enough to send me the regular cable a while ago and as I recall, reception improved but still was not as good as the magnetic antenna. This was just observing in a stationary car. I might give it another whirl 'cause I found some scratches under the mag. antenna. I put some tape under it but I'm not happy about that either.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:12 PM
rxmemqo3
Neutral
Just to add, also got the "Mini Cooper cable" from CD Int - shipped the same day. Successful install of Sportster 5. Did not have to remove seat, just pushed it all the way back, removed two screws at front of plate under seat and reached in to thread pink connector out through slot in carpet.

Old 11-07-2009, 07:27 AM
Pete5160
1st Gear
I've been reading all the threads in regards to SAT radio installation. I just bought a XM OnyX radio. I have a 2008 MINI S, hardtop. I have looked under the passenger seat and I have the wire coming out of the slit in carpet. I know I can tie in to the OEM satellite antenna on the car by ordering a cable from CD Int. Here is the "dumb" question: How do I power the SAT radio? Do I still use the cigarette lighter connection? Or is there a way to wire it into the car? Do I still plug in thru the auxiliary outlet where I plug in my iPod? And if so, does the SAT radio now run thru the controls in my car radio? (Obviously, I am not a car expert!)

Thanks!
cindy

Old 11-07-2009, 08:18 AM
GiantMINI
Neutral
Hi Cindy!

You will be powering your unit via the cigarette lighter unless you want to go the whole nine yards and hardwire the power cable to your mini. There is a thread about this, and I'm sure you can find it with a quick search.
Your audio will plug in through your aux outlet like you said. This outlet doesn't provide any control functionality, you will still have to use the controls on your unit.
I personally have a sirius head unit that is powered with the cigarette lighter, and running the audio through the aux input. I bought a great mount for it from proclip:

http://www.proclipusa.com

This is a 2-part mounting system where you will have to get the 2nd part for your specific device. It really works well. It is also mounts in a spot where you can tuck all of your wires under the center console for a nice slick looking setup without much work.

Good Luck!

Old 11-07-2009, 10:06 AM
pilotart
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
You can get power by simply plugging into your cigarette lighter, it will cut power when engine is off.

You can also get an "Add-A-Circuit" (Buss brand) from any auto parts store and plug into a "30G" fuse (see "Hot or Not..." Sticky Thread in Electrical Board) for power that comes on with door open and remains on for :15-:30 minutes after car is off. Big caution with this is that you MUST Still Include the Cig-Plug as it steps down the voltage for your XM Radio.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:29 PM
Pete5160
1st Gear
Thanks again for all the helpful info. I started to fish for the antenna wire under my passenger seat today, but the coat hanger kept getting stuck. I guess I have to take the seat out, but I'm dreading doing that. I don't want to mess up the carpet. I talked to my local MINI dealer and the tech said that if I unplug the connection under the passenger seat (for the air bag), then the warning light comes on and I have to take the car back to them to have it re-set at a cost of $52. Is there any way a complete novice (me!) can get the passenger seat out, without having to unplug that airbag sensor wire, and find the SAT connector under the carpet? I'm starting to think the $600 that the MINI dealer charges to put in a SAT radio (and then it functions thru the radio already in my car) is the way to go. Any more positive encouragement from you all? :-) Thanks!

Old 11-17-2009, 12:38 PM
rduke222
2nd Gear
The seat does not need to be removed! Don't even think about it!

I have a 2010 MCS without sat.radio. I placed the passenger seat all the way forward, removed the two screws on the edge of the(revealed) plate. and gently pried the edge up. There is a piece of Styrofoam that is a space filler...probably where the Sirius unit would go. The stub for the sat. antenna can be found on top of the Styrofoam block and towards the passenger door. It is marked with a purple connector end as previously described. The straight end of the cable extension plugs in with firm pressure. The cable is easily routed as previously described. The seat does not need to be removed.
My Sirius Starmate 5 shows max signal strength with the Mini's built in antenna.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:47 PM
BlackWaspinator
Neutral
Just curious

I'm brand new to these boards, and am brand new to the Mini Owners Club. Just took ownership of an '09 MC, PremPkg w/o Sirius installed.

Does the antenna and car that comes standard, have the wiring and capabilities to be wired to a Third party Sirius receiver, tucked up under my passenger seat or does that only apply to the cars that had Sirius and the owners wanted to use their own receivers?

Anxious to know before I rip the seat out of a 3 month old.

Old 11-26-2009, 12:34 AM
pilotart
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
They all have the Satellite Antenna cable and connector under the seat.

The photo below is good to see what was hidden under an '08 w/o DSC's carpet:

(click photo to open thread it came from)

With DSC and later models, there is usually a 'cover' you can unscrew and locate that pink Antenna Connector.

Even without the 'cover' You do not need to remove the seat, as you can feel the cable through the carpet and move it to and out the seat-cable slit. (Make a 'hook' from a wire coat hanger to 'fish' with.)

Big Caution is that if ignition is turned on while seat plug is disconnected, you will get an AirBag! Warning that can only be Re-$et by a Dealer. Most disconnect Battery (-) cable, I was ok with just hiding key/fob.

My 2003 Delphi Sky-Fi did not work well with CD-Int's "low-Noise" cable and Joyce sent me a regular SMB Cable to replace and it works great.

Old 11-27-2009, 10:34 PM
BlackWaspinator
Neutral
Thanks so much Everyone here and pilotart, my coat hanger is bent and I'm going fishing tomorrow.

On the other hand, I've only had my Mini 3 Monthes and since coming on these boards I already want to rip it apart. I've got an addictive personality and I think I just bought the wrong car. This may cost more than drinking. Oh yeah and I already signed up to be in a Mini portion of a Christmas Parade. I think this is gonna be bad.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:02 PM
dlr328
1st Gear
I just ordered one, I hope it works, will let everyone know....thanks fellas!

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio SMB Satellite Antenna Cable