Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Navigation POI search issues???

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 11:28 AM
Birdman
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nicknbecka
Personally, I'd consider a gratis updated maps disk with changes similar to TheOfficeMaven's work and some sort of dealer credit for the loss of functionality a reasonable resolution for the immediate problem, with a warranty OS update in the future.
I'm asking for even less. I just want a FIXED data disk. I really don't want my money back, I want the thing to work!! That's it, I would be perfectly happy, but they don't seem to even want to do that. Is that asking for too much after spending $2,100 on this thing?? I think not.

If mini was smart, they would fix the data probelm, send anyone interested a new DVD, THEN, tell us they will be working on FIXING the OS as well, and offer us an OS update at a later date (to give them time to fix it, test it...). And along the way, apologize to each and every customer for sending out an un-tested piece of software. And lastly, explain how they will fix there QA problem so as to not allow something like this to occur again. In my bidness, Biotechnology, we would be shut down by regulators for such poor QA.

Old 11-21-2007, 12:31 PM
nicknbecka
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So essentially, by 'fixed data disk', you're just asking for what OfficeMaven's already doing? I was under the impression that you were looking for the OS to be fixed. I guess I've been assuming that would be necessary to search a root category- maybe that's not even needed and everything could be handled data-side?

What I was thinking was: Here's a workaround disk, we acknowledge what you were expecting and we're working on it- how about a discount on some accessories? Maybe I had trouble seeing past your rather blunt resolve, but I was thinking that was less than you were looking for.

Old 11-21-2007, 01:12 PM
daflake
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Birdman
I'm asking for even less. I just want a FIXED data disk. I really don't want my money back, I want the thing to work!! That's it, I would be perfectly happy, but they don't seem to even want to do that. Is that asking for too much after spending $2,100 on this thing?? I think not.

If mini was smart, they would fix the data probelm, send anyone interested a new DVD, THEN, tell us they will be working on FIXING the OS as well, and offer us an OS update at a later date (to give them time to fix it, test it...). And along the way, apologize to each and every customer for sending out an un-tested piece of software. And lastly, explain how they will fix there QA problem so as to not allow something like this to occur again. In my bidness, Biotechnology, we would be shut down by regulators for such poor QA.
What is amuzing is that you are asking them to "fix" it to YOUR specs, not theirs. In their (and my) eyes there is nothing wrong with it. Good luck with that. I like the simplicity of the MINI nav (new and old) all the additional garbage they put on the external units really never gets used and is pointless to me. Good luck with your lawsuit.

Old 11-21-2007, 01:20 PM
drewster
3rd Gear
Anyone have a current Garmin unit? I would be curious to see if Pep Boys is in the database, and if so how many of them.

Old 11-21-2007, 02:50 PM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
I have the latest Garmin MapSource City Navigator NT 2008 maps and when I do a quick search on "Pep Boys" it finds over 50 of them in just CA and AZ alone.

Old 11-21-2007, 02:56 PM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
Also, for those wonderng... Unless the manufacturer of the nav system did some serious work to the firmware of our nav system, then the "fix" would indeed be something exactly like what I've done.

As previously mentioned, the fix would be very simple for them to do because ALL of the POI information (including the way it is organized, searched, etc.) is done via the arrangement of the data on the map DVD (using database and HTML files). The nav unit's firmware simply relinquishes all control of the POIs over to the map disc. It's a very nice set up in my opinion, they just didn't do a very good job with setting it up properly is all.

Old 11-21-2007, 03:28 PM
daflake
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TheOfficeMaven
Also, for those wonderng... Unless the manufacturer of the nav system did some serious work to the firmware of our nav system, then the "fix" would indeed be something exactly like what I've done.

As previously mentioned, the fix would be very simple for them to do because ALL of the POI information (including the way it is organized, searched, etc.) is done via the arrangement of the data on the map DVD (using database and HTML files). The nav unit's firmware simply relinquishes all control of the POIs over to the map disc. It's a very nice set up in my opinion, they just didn't do a very good job with setting it up properly is all.
You gonna post the instructions? Also, I know you posted a link to the MINI icons for the nav, but I wasn't able to find the ones that look straight down on the mini. Do you have those?

Old 11-21-2007, 05:12 PM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
Hi All,

Here are a few screen shots to show how the progress is going with the 2nd gen nav system. As you can see, it appears to be working quite well.

Here's the new top-level "Search All" menu:

After entering the Search All menu you see the following "All ..." POI categories:

Selecting one of the All ... POI categories takes you to the normal enter search criteria screen:

Note that the 2nd gen nav system doesn't appear to support the use of a custom search criteria graphic like the 1st gen nav system does (that's no biggie though). Also, the push pin POI icons don't appear on the map either. I'll see if I can find out what the problem is there. Overall, the new "Search All" functionality is working great in the 2nd gen MINIs as well.

Sorry for the double exposure photos. I really do need to get a better camera.

Old 11-21-2007, 05:27 PM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
Originally Posted by daflake
You gonna post the instructions?
Yes I will as soon as I work out all of the details. I'm trying to move as fast as I can so please be patient. I wasn't even planning on doing anything today as it's the start of my 4th decade on the planet, but I did end up doing some work on the 2nd gen system in spite of that.

Also, I know you posted a link to the MINI icons for the nav, but I wasn't able to find the ones that look straight down on the mini. Do you have those?
That's from the 1st gen Nav & Audio forum and is a bit off topic here... However, I did tell folks how to get those graphics in the original thread. All you need to do is download the SRF files from here:

MINI SRF vehicle files for Garmin NUVI

Then convert the SRF file of your choice to a PNG file using this converter:

srf2png Vehicle File Converter

After doing that, you'll have ALL of the images you'll need.

Last edited by TheOfficeMaven; 11-21-2007 at 06:35 PM.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:07 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Yes, a bit off topic but appreciated.

FWIW, take you time. I was just curious and all of your work is appreciated.

Old 11-22-2007, 07:00 AM
Birdman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by nicknbecka
So essentially, by 'fixed data disk', you're just asking for what OfficeMaven's already doing? I was under the impression that you were looking for the OS to be fixed. I guess I've been assuming that would be necessary to search a root category- maybe that's not even needed and everything could be handled data-side?

What I was thinking was: Here's a workaround disk, we acknowledge what you were expecting and we're working on it- how about a discount on some accessories? Maybe I had trouble seeing past your rather blunt resolve, but I was thinking that was less than you were looking for.

What I am requesting, AND WILL GET, is a Navigation system, that can do a meaningful search of the 6 million POI db that was sold to me, and advertized as such. Currently, I can NOT do a meaningfull search of the POI db. When it is "fixed", I will be able to. It is that simple.

Why are you people heming and hawing over this??? I just WANT MY $2,100 system to work, that is it. If MINI fixes it with a software OS update, GREAT. If MINI fixes it by contacting NAVTECH and getting new FIXED data, then GREAT. If some guy come down from mars, lands on the MINI plant and magically makes all mini nav's work properly, then GREAT.

Why is that so confusing??

Nicka, there is a sticky thread in this forum with all the icons from the 2nd gen mini's nav, they are the icons used when in "map direction of travel" view. I posted them in PDF format. If you want them in a different format, PMe and I'll email them to you.

Old 11-22-2007, 07:13 AM
Birdman
6th Gear
What is amuzing is that you are asking them to "fix" it to YOUR specs, not theirs. In their (and my) eyes there is nothing wrong with it. Good luck with that. I like the simplicity of the MINI nav (new and old) all the additional garbage they put on the external units really never gets used and is pointless to me. Good luck with your lawsuit.
How is doing a search of of the advertised 6 million POI db and FINDING somethign in it, "my spec"???

MINI advertised the 6 million POI db, NOT ME. MINI insinuated we could search and find 6 million POI in a meaningful way, and we can't. That is MINI's spec, NOT MINE.

They did not sell it to us and say, "by the way, we included 6 million POI's on a data disk, but they are arranged in a way that you can't really find them, good luck!!" If they had, they would be off the hook. As is, they are not off the hook.

Realize something, I am NOT the one filing the lawsuit. My attroney who is a friend of mine, is a lawer for one of the largest class action law firms in the country. He has a brand new $80k BMW with the same problem, along with about 10 other of their employee's. When I brought this to their attention about my new mini (was just small talking at the water cooler..), they went NUTZ. They called me the next day and gave me some info and a course of action they asked me to follow. I have done that.

Old 11-22-2007, 07:41 AM
daflake
6th Gear
How is doing a search of of the advertised 6 million POI db and FINDING somethign in it, "my spec"???
Because you can, you just don't like the way you have to do it.

MINI advertised the 6 million POI db, NOT ME. MINI insinuated we could search and find 6 million POI in a meaningful way, and we can't. That is MINI's spec, NOT MINE.
Your use of the word "meaningful" simply means that you don't understand how to get around the system, hence it is your spec.

They did not sell it to us and say, "by the way, we included 6 million POI's on a data disk, but they are arranged in a way that you can't really find them, good luck!!" If they had, they would be off the hook. As is, they are not off the hook.
Once again, how is this their problem? Can it be improved, sure, but a lawsuit?

Realize something, I am NOT the one filing the lawsuit. My attroney who is a friend of mine, is a lawer for one of the largest class action law firms in the country. He has a brand new $80k BMW with the same problem, along with about 10 other of their employee's. When I brought this to their attention about my new mini (was just small talking at the water cooler..), they went NUTZ. They called me the next day and gave me some info and a course of action they asked me to follow. I have done that.
OK... I'm getting a little old but... You say that you are not the one filing the suit right? Then at the bottom the "lawyers" call you and give you a course of action. I hate to say this; YOU are the one filing the suit or should I say that the lawyers are filing it on your behalf.

I truly hope that you get a solution to your problem to be honest but I myself am quite happy with my BMW NAV as I don't expect it to be my phone book but rather a device to get me from point A to B. The Navigon that we have here at the house works well, but my BMW unit is just as good.

TheOfficeMaven is doing some great work with the disk (which by the way is made by Navteq not BMW) as have others and hopefully we can "add" a few features to our expensive units to get more "tailored" functionality out of them.

Last edited by daflake; 11-22-2007 at 07:53 AM.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:07 AM
Birdman
6th Gear
So to recapp, your happy with the fact that we the paying customer has to fix the problem? Your ok with that?

I hope your mini doesn't start tomorrow morning. When you complain to mini to fix it, they won't because they will say to you "Why don't you fix it yourself". Hey, your ok with that aren't you?? What's the problem?? (and I don't really wish your mini doesn't start, I don't wish that on anyone. But you get the point).

Quote:

Because you can, you just don't like the way you have to do it.
Ok, you say you can search, it must be me (Birdman) right. Forget that I'm a software engineer for the last 20 years, and programmer for 10 prior to that. Ok then, go into your car and please search for "J Signs". It is a sign shop in Patchouge, NY. It is in the POI db. Since your so smart and know "exactly how to get around the system". Please show me how to find J Signs.

Thanks for you help!!! LOLOLOLOLLLL!!! Let me save you some time, you won't find it!!

And no, I am not filign the lawsuit, and they are not filing it on my behalf, thanks. They are filing it on THEIR behalf. They own a fleet of BMW's, all with the same problem. And they will be the named on the filing.

Last edited by Birdman; 11-22-2007 at 08:10 AM.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:17 AM
daflake
6th Gear
So to recapp, your happy with the fact that we the paying customer has to fix the problem? Your ok with that?

I hope your mini doesn't start tomorrow morning. When you complain to mini to fix it, they won't because they will say to you "Why don't you fix it yourself". Hey, your ok with that aren't you?? What's the problem?? (and I don't really wish your mini doesn't start, I don't wish that on anyone. But you get the point).

Ok, you say you can search, it must be me (Birdman) right. Forget that I'm a software engineer for the last 20 years, and programmer for 10 prior to that. Ok then, go into your car and please search for "J Signs". It is a sign shop in Patchouge, NY. It is in the POI db. Since your so smart and know "exactly how to get around the system". Please show me how to find J Signs.

Thanks for you help!!! LOLOLOLOLLLL!!! Let me save you some time, you won't find it!!

And no, I am not filign the lawsuit, and they are not filing it on my behalf, thanks. They are filing it on THEIR behalf. They own a fleet of BMW's, all with the same problem. And they will be the named on the filing.
Whatever...

Good luck anyway.

Last edited by daflake; 11-22-2007 at 08:25 AM.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:47 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
Found: OfficeMax, Staples, Office Depot

Months ago when I tried a search for OfficeMax, I couldn't find it and thought it was strange that such a major business wouldn't be in the directory. I tried all the categories that one might logically look in. Then I tried Staples and Office Depot and couldn't find them either.

Today, I thought I'd search the Nav disc on my computer. I found them on the disc, with lots of locations. However, TheOfficeMaven's research indicated that every POI should be accessible under some category. So I tried again in the car. Well, I have found them, all of them, under this category:

Banking and Shopping - Gifts and Leisure - Specialty Stores

Yikes! At least it was possible...

Old 11-22-2007, 03:42 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
search for "J Signs". It is a sign shop in Patchouge, NY. It is in the POI db.
Birdman, which file on the map disc is it in, and what are some other businesses in that file? I ran a search on a 2006 map disc and it didn't turn up anything.

Old 11-22-2007, 04:09 PM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
@rkw,

That's definitely a strange place to find those stores and one that I would probably never bother to even look in. With my "Search All" solution, you should be able to easily find them under the single "All Banking and Shopping" category.

Oy! :impatient

Last edited by TheOfficeMaven; 11-22-2007 at 06:28 PM.
Old 11-22-2007, 04:56 PM
Birdman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
Months ago when I tried a search for OfficeMax, I couldn't find it and thought it was strange that such a major business wouldn't be in the directory. I tried all the categories that one might logically look in. Then I tried Staples and Office Depot and couldn't find them either.

Today, I thought I'd search the Nav disc on my computer. I found them on the disc, with lots of locations. However, TheOfficeMaven's research indicated that every POI should be accessible under some category. So I tried again in the car. Well, I have found them, all of them, under this category:

Banking and Shopping - Gifts and Leisure - Specialty Stores

Yikes! At least it was possible...
Yea, that's exactly what MINI says: "It's possible to find it, so it works". ABSOLUTELY, UN-BELIEVABLE!! I STILL CAN'T FATHOM HOW THEY LET THIS OUT THE DOOR LIKE THIS??? I wish MINI would come on here and explain that.

That exampleis exactly how I found this problem, driving out to the Wineries on the east end of long island. It's a 1 hour drive from my house, we found the first winery in the system upon pulling into the driveway of one. My wife was so pissed off, she wanted to drive to the MINI dealer we purchased the car from a few months ago, and get our money back. She does not normally drive in the car as it's mine, so that was her first real experience. She could not believe how bad the data was, after spending $2,100 on it. We ended up using a paper map and memory to find the winery, no thanks to my 2100 hard earned beans spent on the "Navigation system". And I put quotes around that, becase as is, it really isn't a Nav system. It's a halfbaked mess.

Old 11-22-2007, 09:54 PM
daflake
6th Gear
They probably put restrictions on the categories to keep searching to a minimum. Officemaven, how long did it take you to search through all categories within a 25 mile radius? Navteq develops the DVD, not BMW (they just stamp their name on it). I'm curious how some of the other systems that they develop for search (Honda and others). It would make sense to limit it if it takes 25 min to find one POI. Remember, these systems are not the fastest compared to those little hand held units. Heck the MK4 is like 3 or 4 years old now and in computer terms obsolete.

FWIW Birdman, I don't disagree with you that the search capabilities are ugly. We have known and griped about this for a long time and you (or your friends) are not the first to sue over it. I know of a Bimmer group here in Germany that did already and lost. Maybe you will have better luck....

That being said, I like to tweak things so I am going to look at working the disk myself and continue plucking away at it.

Last edited by daflake; 11-22-2007 at 10:55 PM.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:34 AM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
The searching is very fast (i.e. within mere seconds) as long as you limit your search radius to a small value (like 25 miles, etc.). If you search larger radiuses (250 miles, 500 miles, etc.), it can take up to about 30 seconds for the search to come back. That's still quite good in my book seeing as there's a HUGE number of POIs in the search all categories.

Old 11-23-2007, 01:13 PM
daflake
6th Gear
Cool!

I agree... I PMN and plan on playing. I'm not a "programmer" per se, but I do work integration mapping for the military. Should be fun to tinker.

Old 11-23-2007, 07:19 PM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
No programming needed as PMN does everything for you. It just takes a lot of time to do all of the work and to figure out what works properly and what doesn't. It is indeed quite fun to tinker with though.

Old 11-23-2007, 07:56 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by TheOfficeMaven
The searching is very fast (i.e. within mere seconds) as long as you limit your search radius to a small value (like 25 miles, etc.)...
That seems reasonable enough. Practically, is ANYONE going to search for a store that is 250 miles away? (those still within break-in mileage notwithstanding.)

Old 11-25-2007, 02:23 PM
Birdman
6th Gear
Ya, you guys are right. It is going to fun, for MINI to tinker with it!!

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio Navigation POI search issues???