Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Aux Input installed! (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 04:11 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You would simply have to do the same thing as I did and add the wires to the particular connector housing. The phone terminals are not shared with the Aux input. Just like I had to do with the Nav input, all you need to do is transfer the wires into the corresponding cavities in whichever connector housing is occupying the space it's supposed to plug into.

(That sounded more difficult than it is!)

Old 08-08-2003, 11:56 AM
OlyMini
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone know if the new aux input offered for 2004 is the same one that will work for an iPod?

Do you also know where in the interior they're installing it?

Thanks!

Old 08-15-2003, 02:52 PM
1moto
Neutral
I have an '03 Cooper and small hands compare to you bears. What is the Knee bolster and I can probably do what you suggested this weekend. Thanks

alottamini

Old 08-15-2003, 02:56 PM
sram24
3rd Gear
>>Does anyone know if the new aux input offered for 2004 is the same one that will work for an iPod?
>>
>>Do you also know where in the interior they're installing it?
>>
>>Thanks!

It is the same, standard headphone jack type input. Also, the standard installation is in the glove box.

Old 08-15-2003, 03:42 PM
sbgobig
4th Gear
I have ordered the H/K for my 2004 MCS and thought it came with an Aux port, or is it just and Aux function? If I get an ipod will I need to buy the Aux port? Thanks in advance, you are great people.

Old 09-19-2003, 05:25 PM
wwwebb
5th Gear
I havent read the pages to this article only to view the intense install pics.

I just got done installing the AUX input to the factory head unit without NAV.

1) Pull Knee panel down from top below steering wheel. Pops right out and hinges at bottom.

2) Reach up behind head unit and feel for hole in back. Plug AUX connector in. Very easy, maybe 5 minutes worth of trying and it snaps in.

3) Fish wire back behind unit over top of unit towards the glovebox.

4) Drill holes for AUX connector as shown in AUX install instructions. Except make the middle one 3/8". Almost inpossible to make the turn with the 10mm hole. Dont worry, the faceplate will hide the hole.

5) Fish under glovebox by the left side with fingers while giggling drivers side. Feed end thru hole. Tighten.

6) Screw in small screws. DONE

about 45 minutes, I could honestly say less than 1/2 hour next time.

Webb
LaGrange KY - If anyone wants to stop by, I will do it for you. PM me.

Old 09-23-2003, 05:34 AM
wwwebb
5th Gear
If locals (or others) want to stop by the get together on Saturday the 27th of September at either Winn-Dixie (Blankenbaker/Shelbyville Rd) @ 4pm or Trackside in LaGrange @ 5pm I would be glad to show you what I have done and even help install after the dinner.

Hope to see MINI there!

Old 09-25-2003, 10:33 PM
Liebowitz
Neutral
Hey GreatBear,
I just got finished installing my Aux cable in my 2003 MCS, with Nav, like yours.It was a *****!
I could have never done it without your detailed photos and instructions. First I didn't know how to get the screw out ,as I didn't have a torx screwdriver; so I got the right one from the hardware store and took some screws out but couldn't get any parts to move. Finally after some tugging and pulling the dash panel lifted up with a startling snapping noise.I was then able to remove the strut towers and get to the back of the radio. If it were'nt for your advice on combining the wires into the connector I would have been totrally lost. I actually couldn't get one of the wires to release from the little slide in plastic holder and had to carefully cut open the holder to get it out without damaging the wire.Finally I got everything assembled and put back together. I wanted to thank you for help, as it would have never happened otherwise.Keep up the strong work.

Old 09-28-2003, 05:47 PM
CMINIGO
4th Gear
Ok, I have a question...
I have heard that those with the 2002 head units CANNOT simply get the aux adapter from MINI and plug it in and go (for the iPod or whatever you want to use it with). Why is that??? I pulled out my head unit (again) and it has the space for the adapter cable in the lower right corner where the 2003 owners are installing their adapter. Anyone have any clues? If I get the aux adapter will it not work eventhough I have the space to plug it in? If I have to get the blitzsafe and all that then forget it.

Old 09-28-2003, 06:19 PM
Greatbear
Whoa, I never thought this thread would be so popular and well received! I sorta forgot about it for a while as I was doing all sort of other projects (sadly, almost none MINI-related )

I still have to finish up the power outlet over what I originally did with it, but the Aux has been great for some long trips (like the one I just got back from).

Okay, as for the radios being 'physically' the same between the two years, from my understanding, the internal firmware of the radio is changed from '02 to '03. Even though the connector was there in the earlier models, not all of it was put into use. People with the '02s are best served by using the Blitzsafe or similar adaptors. The connector on the '02 models would be occupied by the NAV connector if the car was so equipped.

To all who have benenfitted by these instructions, it was my pleasure. Once I found that the original OEM directions were a bit lacking (especially with NAV cars) and the fact that I found coupling the jack with the Euro Shelf rather than the 'official' installation, I thought it best that I shared. It's my understanding that I even created a bit of a run at Classic MINI on parcel shelves and aux jacks ordered together.

I promise to finish what I have started here, I just have to finish it up in the car first!

Old 09-30-2003, 07:26 PM
CMINIGO
4th Gear
Ok then... For those of us with early 2002 models who are keeping the stock head unit and do not want to purchase a Blitzsafe and new head unit and we have the stock MINI CD changer and no Nav, what is the "homemade" way to add your own aux input so it is detected by the head unit? I know it can be done because I have seen the finished result, just not sure how I can accomplish this. My searches have only turned up the standard aux install info for 2003's, which does no good. Anyone have or know where to find instructions to do this yourself?

Thanks!

Old 10-29-2003, 07:47 PM
2mrmisterioso
Neutral
I'm interested in finding out about AUX input for the 2002 h/u also. I just picked up a used '02 MINI (Velvet Red, I love it) in Pittsburgh and was told that the aux input WOULD work. In fact, they installed it. Of course, it didn't work. Today I found out that the aux input wouldn't work with the '02 h/u. Very upsetting, as I primarily listen to my music on my iPod.
Anyway, the dealer was looking into perhaps switching out the '02 h/u with an '03 one. Do any of you know whether this would work? If not, then I'm going to have to figure out something else.

Old 10-29-2003, 07:59 PM
Greatbear
An '03 headunit will work. I say the dealer owes it to you because they insisted the aux jack would work with the '02.

I forgot where I read that you could 'force' an '02 h/u to work with a changer as well as an aux jack, but it was rather involved. I believe it might have been a thread at MINI2.

Old 11-01-2003, 09:36 PM
zgokart
5th Gear
>>Ok then... For those of us with early 2002 models who are keeping the stock head unit and do not want to purchase a Blitzsafe and new head unit and we have the stock MINI CD changer and no Nav, what is the "homemade" way to add your own aux input so it is detected by the head unit?
I have a May 02 build with same situation as you and would also like to know how to add the aux input. And if that does not work then I'll go with Blitzsafe solution, but not before someone can answer the next question for me.

Question for anyone (Great Bear?): How do you remove the two struts? Do you have to first start at the remote mirror button area and slide the plastic cupholders back a tad? Or can you loosen the two screws to the strut post and ease it up and out. Would appreciate some help here.

Old 12-22-2003, 06:02 PM
clatrell
1st Gear
Well, it was an exciting 15 minutes, but installed without a hitch, and hooked up the IPod. Even found a torx screwdriver in one of my toolkits. I agree with those who say that the volume is a lot lower than the CD and radio even with the AUX level adjusted. I think I'll try a Belkin adapter with the built-in amp to see if it helps. Still, it sounds great. Now if I can just figure out what to do with the extra 51/2 ft. of Radio Shack cable. i've coiled it into the cup holder/ashtray, but it looks stupid. Any suggestions?

Old 01-02-2004, 04:19 PM
illmini
Neutral
i'm having problem installing my aux input line.

i felt around the back driverside of the headunit to locate the empty slot for the plug. i think i got it plugged snuggly in there but there is still no option for aux when i press the mode button.

i took delivery of my mini in jan 2003. i should have the 2003 head unit and i dont know why it's not installing properly for me. is there any serial number i could look up to make sure i have a 2003, not 2002 head unit?

for those who installed it, did you have an option for aux input volume level from the options menu even before the line was installed? i dont have the nav but i have an option for nav volume level, i'm wondering if i should also have the aux input volume level in my head unit software even before i install my aux in line.

let me know if anyone has a clue how to get mine working, i was all excited and now all disappointed....

Old 01-02-2004, 04:46 PM
reggie1
2nd Gear
>> Now if I can just figure out what to do with the extra 51/2 ft. of Radio Shack cable. i've coiled it into the cup holder/ashtray, but it looks stupid. Any suggestions?>>

I just put the aux and cable behind the plastic peice with the slots in it (behind the cup holders). Just a screw to undo and them keep all of the extra cord stuff behind there with the end comming out of one of the slots. I guess it all depends on where exactly you have the end of the aux cable come out. It's clean and tidy this way.

Old 01-04-2004, 06:02 PM
MINIDean
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Something very interesting...I have an 03' MCS, February 03' build with Navigation and H/K. My car did NOT have the existing connector in the "empty" slot like everyone else with NAV. My AUX connector plugged right in and works fine. My NAV works fine too. Same mute function when directions are given.

Does anyone know why my car does not have this connector, but the other ones do? Very strange...

OK, after thinking about it, I don't think I have these connectors here because I have the H/K system. My mute signal is probably sent to the H/K amp instead. That's where those two wires are. :smile:
Stewy was born on 2/20/03, Current Status: I picked him up today, 4-1-03!! MCS, DS/BL, Prem, Sport, Cold, Harman Kardon, Nav, PDC, Rain Sensing Wipers/Auto-Dimming Mirror, Black Panther Leather with Anthracite trim!

Old 01-05-2004, 09:37 AM
Chitown_COOP
Coordinator :: Chicago MINI Motoring Club
This is interesting, Dean. I'm going to have to check my head unit when I get home. I've also got H/K and NAV, and I was assuming I'd have to do Greatbear's trick to get the AUX to work. Is it possible that the H/K can take more AUX-INs than the regular units?

Old 01-06-2004, 02:16 PM
jpa2825
2nd Gear
Let's see if I understand this correctly:

1 - I have a '03 MC w/ cassette (rarity, huh?), build date of 9.02 and CD changer installed in boot. I should be able to pop down the knee thingy with a firm tug and feel around back to get the Aux input plugged in. Test iPod I got for Xmas and make sure it works.

2 - Since my MC is fairly stripped, I have several unused toggle "bays." Did I read in 1 post earlier that I could drill a hole in 1 of the unused "bays and route female end of Aux input to there? If so, how do I get it fished to that location?

3 - What is the value of the Euro parcel shelf over the knee thingy? Is it smaller to give more legroom? Is it the fact that there's a shelf there to lay the iPod on?

Please help. I want to order from Classic Mini and get this installed if my assumptions above are correct. (Currently using lame Belkin cassette adapter for playing iPod on car stereo.)

UPDATE: As posted elsewhere, my Mini dealer says it AUX input will work w/ 10.02 build date and cassette. I'll try and report back. Still wondering about Euro parcel v. knee thingy and the toggle bay routing if anyone has advice.

Old 03-03-2004, 10:19 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Greatbear. Great write up but the PICs link are now obsolete (properties shows them linked to the old minicooperonline. It would be great if you could update them so we could see the images. Thanks.

Old 03-03-2004, 11:08 AM
Greatbear
Misfit, thanks for the reminder. I have to go back and find some more of my threads that reference MCO and fix those.

Sorry about the

Old 09-02-2004, 04:00 PM
rcase13
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Chitown_COOP
This is interesting, Dean. I'm going to have to check my head unit when I get home. I've also got H/K and NAV, and I was assuming I'd have to do Greatbear's trick to get the AUX to work. Is it possible that the H/K can take more AUX-INs than the regular units?
Bump...

Just wondering if this was ever proven?

Old 10-28-2004, 11:54 AM
rg
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by rcase13
Bump...

Just wondering if this was ever proven?
It's true for me too! I've got a 5/03 build S with HK and NAV. i was dreading having to go through the rewire the connection phase, and was thrilled to see when i got everything out that the hole was there just waiting for the Aux Input! Just popped right in!! I put the other end (with the little face plate) into the plastic piece that pops out from under the toggle panel. the one with the slots in it. it is towards the bottom right side. i've got the two piece organizer that then slips into this area, completely hiding the Aux outlet. i too got the 6' patch cord from Radio Shack. didn't want all that cable coiled up down there so i just cut 5' out of the middle and soldered it back together. this will then plug into the Belkin iPod adapter and that, at least after Santa has been here, will plug into my iPod. I tested my install with a portable CD player and all works well, including muting from the NAV. I couldn't believe how simple this install actually worked out, thanks Greatbear for the awesome instructions.

Old 11-05-2004, 09:20 PM
rrypma
4th Gear
Now, I'm about to do this install tomorrow, and I'm wondering for those with the NAV *and* the available Aux-in slot, perhaps this is due to your having a recent build? Or, is just the fact you have the HK as well....

I have Sept. 03 build w/ NAV, but w/o the HK, so I'll know for sure tomorrow, but hoping someone may be able tell me sooner so I don't have to take the dash apart...

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio Aux Input installed! (pics)