MTH Discussion (Archive) Have or interested in MTH software upgrades for your MINI? This is the place! Sponsored by MTH.

MTH - member to member support

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 07:32 AM
Aliron
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pyugala
I have just got the Sensolution cable and it's work like a charm. I have never been able to use Sasha cable before, I always got the "echo is missing", "unable to open come port" errors.

However, the files down loaded were zip file and .org file. Do I send those files to him?

Thanks
I get always the same error!! Did you have to change the cable to make it work?

Old 03-25-2005, 08:06 AM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Cable question........

I did a quick search and couldn't find an answer. Can I use the same cable to use the MTH software and do OBDII diagnostics on my laptop?

Thanks !

Old 03-25-2005, 08:10 AM
leon's rocket car
Banned
I couln't

I tried it with some shareware, but couldn't get it to work so I gave up and bought the Peake tool.

Old 03-25-2005, 08:42 AM
dotBob
Coordinator :: Houston MINI Motoring Society
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Rumor mill says Franz is working on OBDII diag software that would use the same cable.

Old 03-25-2005, 08:55 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by dotBob
Rumor mill says Franz is working on OBDII diag software that would use the same cable.
That would be so sweet.

Old 03-25-2005, 08:56 AM
pyugala
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Aliron
I get always the same error!! Did you have to change the cable to make it work?
I'm not too sure why Sasha's cable didn't work , I have given up on it. The cable has been sent back to him for diagnostic.

On the other hand the Sensolution works great .

Just my 2 cents

Old 03-25-2005, 09:37 AM
pyugala
3rd Gear
My car is Cooper S, why does it ID itself as a R50 and not R53 Any body else had this error?

Thanks

Old 03-25-2005, 01:01 PM
CoryB
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've loaded about 10 cars with MTH and every one of them has identified itself as R50. 9 were MCS, one was MC.

I have no idea of why, but they seem to work just fine.

Originally Posted by pyugala
My car is Cooper S, why does it ID itself as a R50 and not R53 Any body else had this error?

Thanks

Old 03-25-2005, 01:22 PM
strider209
3rd Gear
Hey all,
I didn't see it really mentioned in other posts but anyone have a guestimate of what my HP would be with and without MTH?

Old 03-25-2005, 01:29 PM
dotBob
Coordinator :: Houston MINI Motoring Society
Originally Posted by strider209
Hey all,
I didn't see it really mentioned in other posts but anyone have a guestimate of what my HP would be with and without MTH?
Depends on your mods, but with an otherwise stock MCS, about 9HP is what I've seen on dyno charts posted here and elsewhere. I've felt more improvement to the drivability of my MCS than just HP gain - including ASC response, rev limiting, etc.

Old 03-25-2005, 05:00 PM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Darn, I have read for months of people having problems with downloading or uploading files to and from their cars. Well now I am having a problem reading the file from my car.

I get the below errors randomly when it reads the file. The errors come one after the other.

Internal Read Error
Internal Write Error
readMemoryByAddress

The only thing I did different this time from the last is the laptop is running on its dual batteries.
any suggestions?

Old 03-25-2005, 05:38 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Originally Posted by leon's rocket car
I tried it with some shareware, but couldn't get it to work so I gave up and bought the Peake tool.
I have downloaded this program (DIAGNOSE for windows, Version 2.3.0) and would like to use it with the same serial cable for the MTH program. Anyone have any experience with it?

Old 03-25-2005, 07:01 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
OBDII software

The Sensolution cable is pretty much a straight through cable (some stuff, but not too much active in it other than a transistor or two). This will work with software that doesn't use an interface. There are lots of interfaces based on the ELM 3XX chips (do a google on them). I've found an interface with software that was $60, lap logger, and it's OK. You can log a few variables, and reset codes. But it isn't too good (like 6 variables available for logging). The source code is provided if you're a programmer.... There is a shareware SW from ScanTools.net (I think) that works with the Elm chips that is better, but it still isn't as good as Auterra and the like. But it won't work with the Sensolutions, because it speaks RS-232, and the ELM chip translates to OBDII. I'm not sure if Auterra, Auto Enginuity use Elm or not, as they lock the software and you need a licence code to get them to connect to the car. Long and short, I haven't found a diagnostic SW that uses the SenseSolutions MonoCom. If anyone else has, I'd love to know....

BIM-COM has a place holder on the Ross Tech web site. It's been vapor ware for so long I'd thought it would never come. That's supposed to log and get to the airbag, ABS etcetera, but we'll have to wait a bit longer to see. Since it could do all the stuff besides just logging and engine codes, I'd get another interface just to get access to all that stuff. But it probably won't work with Mono-Com, but it might, as I think SenseSolutions says VAG-COM works with it (and that's by Ross Tech as well)

Matt

Last edited by Dr Obnxs; 03-25-2005 at 07:04 PM. Reason: BIM-COM
Old 03-26-2005, 05:07 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
This is the website (http://www.obddiagnostics.com/) I downloaded the software from. It looks like to me that they have a proprietary cable that I would have to use. It would be nice to be able to use the same cable. Any ideas?

Old 03-26-2005, 07:19 PM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by mdsbrain
Darn, I have read for months of people having problems with downloading or uploading files to and from their cars. Well now I am having a problem reading the file from my car.

I get the below errors randomly when it reads the file. The errors come one after the other.

Internal Read Error
Internal Write Error
readMemoryByAddress

The only thing I did different this time from the last is the laptop is running on its dual batteries.
any suggestions?
Can anyone help?

Old 03-27-2005, 05:55 AM
Koopah
6th Gear
Can anyone help?
I am assuming that:

(1) you have successfully done this before with the same cable/adapter setup and laptop/OS/configuration;
(2) you are receiving these errors when downloading the original data from the ECU;
(3) except for the AC vs. battery issue, nothing else has changed.

So, what are the variables:

(1) battery vs. AC;
(2) integrity of cable connections at all points;
(3) Window's task environment;
(4) other?

Are you using a USB OBD cable? (notoriously finickey!)

Here's what I would suggest:

(1) go back to AC power...there may be a drop in power for external devices using the battery;
(2) check the integrity of all the connections...especially the OBD port on the MINI (I had to put a small piece of electrical tape on the OBD plug to make sure it was secure in the port);
(3) make sure all unnecessary processes are removed from the Task Manager and bump up the priority of the Cartune program.

That it worked before indicates a change in state. It is not likely that there was any state change in the MINI so, logically, we are left with the adapter/cabling and your laptop. Since you have indicated a clear state-change in your laptop (battery vs. AC), I'd start there.

FWIW,

Theo

Old 03-27-2005, 09:59 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Thank you for the post.

(1) I have done the download and upload before with no problem.
(2) Yes
(3) Correct.

I will try and kill off all background actitivies I can and run on AC power.
Using the Serial cable.

Old 03-28-2005, 08:10 AM
kyriian
6th Gear
I need some help, recently ive formatted my laptop... i lost the cartune program

anyone have it? care to send it to me? pm me for my email address!

appreciate the help

Old 03-28-2005, 08:42 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by kyriian
I need some help, recently ive formatted my laptop... i lost the cartune program

anyone have it? care to send it to me? pm me for my email address!

appreciate the help
Can't you just redownload it from MTH's site?

Old 03-28-2005, 05:32 PM
strider209
3rd Gear
If you are registered you can go back to the cartune website and download the software. Anyway what's been the turnaround time lately? I sent my files for the first time yesterday and can't wait to get the new files and try them out!

Old 03-28-2005, 06:47 PM
kyriian
6th Gear
Can't you just redownload it from MTH's site?
lol funny thing is that i lost my dam password! sigh

Old 03-28-2005, 07:08 PM
leon's rocket car
Banned
turnaround has been 1 to 3 days, not counting weekends, which I have witnessed and documented on various other boards by happy folks.

Old 03-29-2005, 01:01 PM
jdemaria
2nd Gear
I have read through this thread and it seems you were all able to obtain the MTH software easily. I have registerd at the MTH site and have not received any information on how to obtain it.

Has Franz been around latley?

Thanks for the help.

Old 03-29-2005, 02:21 PM
meanboy
6th Gear
Have you purchased your cable and have you downloaded the cartune program? The cartune program is where you would enter the key that you should have received.

You should be able to connect your cable to the obd II connection and then run the program. It should identify your car and the seimens software and then you can save it. There are two files that you will need to send to Franz. Offhand, I can't remember the names. You'll upload it to him and at that time you should be able tell him if you want the redline increased or if you have a pulley, etc. He'll send you a new file soon after that and you repeat the process except you will upload the file. You can verify it to make sure the file uploaded is the same as the one he sent you.

Hopefully, I haven't repeat anything you have read. I've condensed it a little too so hopefully I didn't miss anything.

Old 03-29-2005, 03:21 PM
jdemaria
2nd Gear
I already have a cable and the OBDII conector. I am just trying to get the software.

Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: MTH - member to member support