MINI5280 The Motoring Society of the Rocky Mountain Region. Visit the club site at www.mini5280.org and Event Calendar.

R4tC "Run for the Corners" October 15, 16 2005

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 08:42 PM
jsouz
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Order your R4tC T-shirts HERE!

For those of you going on R4tC (Run for the Corners) please place your Tshirt order HERE. Steve (YELRSUB) from NM MINIs needs a firm number to be able to place his order. I think you will agree that they are GREAT looking shirts and one you will be proud to have.

Please post with your size (Men's) and we will let you know the price. You will need to pay in advance or when you get there.

Keep in mind that you do not have to be attending the ride to get the Tshirt. If you like it as much as I do, order one.

How to Order? Go to the R4tC Run for the Corners thread in the New Mexico MINIs Forum, and let Steve know. That is it!!

Thanks, have a good time wearing this. It is very nice...

JPS

Old 09-26-2005, 09:41 PM
DSlates1983
1st Gear
4 or so hours

Originally Posted by Shazam's white lightning
How long does the drive back via the Black Canyon take? Looks like cruise control is going to be well used :impatient
We live in Gunnison. To drive from here to Ralph Schomp takes us about 3.5 hours. over monarch pass, up 285. I would love to join everyone for the ride. But work permitting, most likely I will not be able to make it. If not and if you guys feel like some good BBQ everyone is more than welcome to come up to Crested Butte and Visit my resturant Cowboys BBq and Salon. If that was the choice then you could go up Taylor canyon, (in my opinion a way better drive/ride than the Black Canyon of Hwy 50) then over cottonwood pass to Buena Vista. Either way It sounds like a great ride. I hope I can make it.
Derek

Old 09-26-2005, 09:45 PM
DSlates1983
1st Gear
Sunday

What time do you think everyone would be driving through Telluride? my wife and I might end up meeting there.

Old 09-27-2005, 05:08 AM
jsouz
6th Gear
We have a best guess but not exact times

Since we are overnighting in Cortez, we plan to leave there between 8 and 9 (the larger the group the later the time) and go to Telluride, Silverton, Ouray, etc. Then on North to and thru the Black Canyon, Gunnison, and sort of past Crested Butte.

(Last time I was in Crested Butte I got stopped for doing 19 in a 15 mph zone)

We can make arrangements for lunch or a stop and I like your suggestion about the road back to Buena Vista....I think that sounds fun as long as it is paved and it is open.

Thanks, pls keep posting suggestions like this that we can take..

JPS

Old 09-27-2005, 10:53 AM
DSlates1983
1st Gear
cottonwood

Part of cottonwood is unpaved on the gunnison cty side, I am sorry to say. I guess I have lived in the middle of no wear for quite some time now that i am use to unpaved roads. My wife and I love doing little rallies through Kebbler pass (also unpaved). I know it is stilll open, but for condition i would have to go and check it out. Ill see how it is thrusday. i'm sorry to hear about the ticket. It's the small kind of town that you just sit in second gear and idle.

Old 09-29-2005, 02:49 AM
jsouz
6th Gear
Complete R4tC details are now posted at

www.NMMini.org and include the following:

An Interactiive Adventure in your Mini/MINI

Overview

This is a long trip for everyone. It's understood that not all cars will make the entire trip. Our goal is to gather as many cars and people as we can from the four states into one spot on Saturday afternoon, and hang out Saturday night getting to know some fellow enthusiasts. Arizona and Utah groups should coordinate your trips to maximize the fun coming to and going from the Four Corners rendezvous. Colorado and New Mexico clubs are expanding our Run for the Border event and will motor across northern New Mexico into southern Colorado together as part of the original event.
If this turns out to be something everyone really enjoys, we can stage it again next year, making the trip into Arizona and/or Utah for the second day's drive. One thing is certain – we live in a beautiful part of the country so there is no shortage of great destinations.

The trip officially begins at the Taos / Rio Grande Gorge bridge on Hwy 64, at 9:00 a.m. Saturday. We'll gather for meet-n-greet and photo ops on and around the bridge, then depart by 10:00 at the latest.

The drive takes us west across northern NM through Tres Piedras, Tierra Amarilla, Chama, Dulce, Navajo Dam, Aztec, Farmington, Teec Nos Pos AZ, Four Corners Monument, and finally to Cortez, CO for the night. We'll round up for a big dinner somewhere in Cortez, then rest our travelin' bones for the next day's drive through Colorado's high mountain country.
Sunday morning, we meet in Cortez for a 9:00 a.m. departure, heading north to Telluride, stop for pictures and snacks, then head on around the mountain (Hwy 145 to 62 to 550 south) and back down via Ouray and Silverton to Durango.

It's expected most of the Colorado cars will peel off at the northernmost point of our trip. Utah folks may decide to head back at about the same time. Arizona folks will likely make the drive around to Durango before heading home, as will New Mexico drivers.

Route Details

BRIDGE START: From Taos, get onto Hwy 64 West (north of town a few miles). Park on the west side of the bridge in the Rest Stop. There are bathrooms and paved parking. The bridge and overlook into the gorge are a short walk away. We'll hang out here until we're ready to roll, or 10:00 a.m. at the latest.
• Make sure all cars and drivers are present
• Sign release forms (every driver)
• People photos!
• Contact information for each person
• Set radio channel, share radios
• Hit the road

TAOS to CHAMA: Hwy 64 west from the Rio Grande. This section is on pretty straight roads, climbing from ~7000' at Taos to Tres Piedras (three stones) at nearly 8200'. Here we hit mountain roads, climbing to a peak elevation of over 10,000' at the Brazos Overlook. We'll stop for some scenic absorption and fresh air. From here, the trip is pretty much downhill and twisty to the town of Tierra Amarilla (yellow earth). From Tierra Amarilla, Hwy 64 heads north to Chama, home base for many cross-country skiing trips and major station for the Cumbres and Toltec railroad. We can eat in Chama, since it will be around lunchtime, or we can snack and continue our journey westward. Approx. 95 miles.

CHAMA to AZTEC: Staying on Hwy 64, we head west again to Dulce (candy) at just under 6700'. Dulce is headquarters to the Jicarilla (little basket) Apache tribe http://jicarillaonline.com/. There should be places to eat if we so desire. From Dulce, Hwy 64 still leads us west. At Navajo City we take Hwy 539 north to Navajo Lake and Dam. I haven't been there in quite a number of years, but I imagine there will be some sort of scenic overlook onto the lake, NM's second largest http://www.emnrd.state.nm.us/nmparks/PAGES/PARKS/NAVAJO/NAVAJO.HTM. From the dam we take Hwy 511 south, changing to Hwy 173 as we head into Aztec, county seat for San Juan County. Outside Aztec is the Aztec Ruins Nat'l Monument http://www.us-parks.com/aztec_ruins/index.html. Aztec was also a farming education center for settlers in the late 1800's and early 1900's http://www.aztecnm.com/museum/museum_index.htm. We should find good restaurants here if we choose to wait until about 2 p.m. Approx. 110 miles.

AZTEC to FOUR CORNERS: This leg of the trip carries us through Navajo lands of western NM, slightly into AZ, and back up to Four Corners. Farmington, at 5300', has a history rich in farming, ranching, oil-coal-gas production and wild west life beginning in the late 1800's http://ghostdepot.com/rg/mainline/san%20juan%20branch/farmington.htm. We get to Farmington from Aztec via Hwy 550. In Farmington, we reconnect with Hwy 64 to head west through the fertile San Juan River valley, eventually heading out into the high desert, where we can see Shiprock, an eroding volcanic cone to the south of our road. Teec Nos Pos, AZ is our farthest point west on the official trip. This Navajo town of less than 1000 residents sits at 5200' and features the junction of Hwys 64 and 160. We'll head northeast on 160, about 8-10 miles up to the Four Corners Monument entrance. Approx. 85 miles.

FOUR CORNERS to CORTEZ, CO: After we've spent our time meeting folks from around the four states and taking everyone's photo on the prime spot, it'll be time to travel northward to our stopping point for the night in Cortez, CO. Cortez was one of the Time Stations for the 2005 Race Across America http://www.raceacrossamerica.org, a 3000 mile bicycle endurance run. Approx. 35 miles.

CORTEZ to TELLURIDE: Meeting time Sunday morning is 8:30 a.m. for a 9:00 departure. We'll determine the meeting place when in Cortez. Probably it will be where there is coffee and juice! From Cortez, we head east on Hwy 160 just a few miles, then north on Hwy 145, through Dolores and over Lizard Head Pass at 10,200'. Take the spur 145 into Telluride for great scenery and photos (see below).
Head west out of Telluride and then north on Hwy 145 again 17 miles to the junction with Hwy 62 at Placerville, which will take us to Ridgway and Hwy 550. Approx. 115 miles.

DEPARTURE POINTS: At this juncture, the Colorado drivers will likely continue north on Hwy 550, heading back toward Denver and many points between. Utah drivers may choose to motor with the Colorado folks for a while. New Mexico and Arizona drivers will head south on Hwy 550 - the million dollar highway - through gold and silver mining towns which include Ouray and Silverton, ending up in Durango and Hwy 160 again. Arizona drivers have a long haul back home from here, so it is expected this will be the departure point for them. New Mexico drivers will head east on Hwy 160. Approx. 80 miles to Durango.

NEW MEXICO RETURN: From Durango, we'll head east on Hwy 160 to Pagosa Springs, where we catch Hwy 84 southeast to Chama in New Mexico. From Chama, head south on Hwy 84/64 to Brazos and Los Ojos. Here we have options: take Hwy 112 south/southwest to El Vado Lake and Dam and down to Cuba (this may involve about 12 miles of gravel road but has more twisties) then San Ysidro, Bernalillo and Albuquerque; or stay on Hwy 84 south/southeast past Echo Amphitheater to Abiquiu, Española, Santa Fe and Albuquerque (probably the faster route, just not so twisty). Approx. mileage: 150 - 170 miles to Albuquerque.

Contacts

• Steve Elkins – NMMINI – mini-info@nmmini.org
• Jonathan Souza – MINI5280 – president@mini5280.orgMap / Other:Download a trip sheet with maps here. PDF format.

Old 10-04-2005, 04:48 AM
jsouz
6th Gear
R4tC is less than 2 weeks away...

If you will be going, please POST here to let us know your departure time and where you are staying. Second, please contact STEVE in the NMMINI forum and let him know if you want T-shirts (with the ride logo) and what size.

Of course the MOST important thing is that you let us know when you are leaving Denver and if you are overnighting in Raton or Taos.

Thanks,

JPS

Old 10-06-2005, 06:03 PM
Batman1usa
3rd Gear
I see a Chili/Chili Red Cooper coming from the EAST - OKLAHOMA

Hey all,
The wife and I have decided to RUN 4 THE CORNERS. We will be leaving out Friday Morning 6:00 am ish from Blackwell. It's a long run buy hey that's one of the reasons I bought the Little Red Machine. This thing is my Goldwing. I have reservations made in Cortez but need overnight info for Taos. If we happen upon the group from Colorado at Raton we may stay there for the night. Plans are to shoot all the way to Taos the first day. email me at batman1usa@cyber-rover.com or phone 580-363-6300 Cingular
If I don't hear from anyone we'll see you down the road.
Can't wait. One more week.
Mini Cooper........ I love these cars.

Batman
<><

P.S. - My shirts are on order. Bring your Autograph pin, I want everyone to sign my shirt.

Old 10-06-2005, 07:29 PM
AAAMINI
3rd Gear
Late Night

Erin and I will be leaving with the 6pm group from Denver going to Raton, then on to Taos in the Morning. We aren't sure where we are staying.

-Andy

Old 10-07-2005, 08:03 AM
Embalmer
2nd Gear
Heh Batman!

Glad to see you are making the trip. I know you wanted to go on the Peachfest/winery tour but couldn't make it. Just wanted to say hello and I know you will get a kick out of the folks from Denver. I think there will be some classic mini's going and I know you will love that! Unfortunately, my husband and I won't be able to make this one. (Work obligations ) But have fun and hopefully we will meet on another adventure Nancy

Old 10-07-2005, 09:25 AM
Batman1usa
3rd Gear
Hello --------- Nancy

Originally Posted by Embalmer
Glad to see you are making the trip. I know you wanted to go on the Peachfest/winery tour but couldn't make it. Just wanted to say hello and I know you will get a kick out of the folks from Denver. I think there will be some classic mini's going and I know you will love that! Unfortunately, my husband and I won't be able to make this one. (Work obligations ) But have fun and hopefully we will meet on another adventure Nancy
Hi again,
We were all geared up for the peachfest. With school starting and things a little out of order we had to pull back. Hopefully the stars will all be lined up this time and all systems will be GO. I've posted this run on our site okMini.com for almost a month but haven't had any takers. Oh well, a couple days off and I think it will be the most fun I've had this far in the Mini. Well??? Maybe not.....

Old 10-07-2005, 12:51 PM
azminiman
5th Gear
reservations made... CUalll next weekend

Old 10-08-2005, 12:32 PM
redrock
Neutral
I'll Meet You at the Bridge

I will be coming from central Colorado, overnighting in Alamosa most likely.
I will be at the Bridge at 9:00am Saturday, and I have reservations at the Best Western in Cortez. :smile:

Old 10-11-2005, 03:49 AM
jsouz
6th Gear
R4tC - Run 4 the Corners UPDATE and HEAD COUNT

Just a few days left....we need to get a HEAD COUNT on who will be going down and whom we should look for. Please CHECK IN HERE....

Pauhana - Rick and Wendy
Hi Ho Silver - Jonathan
AAAMINI - Andy and Erin
Shazanm's White Lightning - Siobhan
RedRock - from central CO
WWW - Whitlow and Eleanor Wong from Denver
Batman1USA - from OK

Jim Daniels, are you still in?

I know there are more, but I do need your confirms. Please do POST here and let us know...

Thanks,

JPS

Old 10-11-2005, 05:02 AM
Batman1usa
3rd Gear
Coming from Oklahoma

Batman1USA (JD & Kristi) Chili Red/Chili Red Cooper all stock. Happy to be joining in the RUN......... .

Boomer Sooner !!!!

States Visited:
Oklahoma
Kansas
Arkansas
New Mexico
Colorado
Utah
Arizona

long way to go to get them all

Sig added

Old 10-11-2005, 07:12 AM
Shazam's white lightning
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jsouz
Just a few days left....we need to get a HEAD COUNT on who will be going down and whom we should look for. Please CHECK IN HERE....

Pauhana - Rick and Wendy
Hi Ho Silver - Jonathan
AAAMINI - Andy and Erin
"Shazam's White Lightning - Siobhan" - OUT
RedRock - from central CO
Batman1USA - from OK

I know there are more, but I do need your confirms. Please do POST here and let us know...

Thanks,

JPS
Sorry, I won't be making this one after all. I'm building a larger garage for all the toys, so White Lightning doesn't feel so alone This will be the final weekend to get the project done. :impatient :impatient

Old 10-11-2005, 07:43 AM
Smooth is Quik
3rd Gear
Viva Las Vegas

I'm bringing a small group this weekend from Las vegas, we are departing @ 7am and will be taking I93 to Kingman , AZ and hopping on the I 40 to Gallup NM. From there we will be taking the 491 up to the Monumnet. We plan on making the 4-5pm meeting time at the Monument. We all have reservations in Cortez and are undecided on the Sunday "Loop" drive as we all have a long haul back to Vegas that day. We all look forward to meeting new friends and sharing some info on nexts years "A MINI vacation in Vegas" next March. If any of the AZ group is running on the I 40 and want to meet in Flagstaff, please PM me for a meeting time and location.

Coming this weekend:

Smooth_is_Quik, Mark & Kathy
Steve_LV, Steve & Dee
Onefastpunk, Todd and Rhonda
Ed & Paula
John and his wife

Old 10-11-2005, 08:53 PM
pauhana
Take the high road
10/11 Update from Colorado Motorers

As of 10/11 evening, the Colorado list looks like this (please correct as necessary):
Leaving Friday AM - Overnight in Taos:
Rick & Wendy (PauHana)
Jim D
Renee W (from Schomp)

Leaving Friday PM - Overnight in Raton, NM:
Andy & Erin (AAAMINI)

Leaving at Unknown time (meet at the Taos bridge!):
RedRock - from Glenwood Springs area
Batman1USA from Okla (may overnight Fri in Raton?)

CANCELLED (Not Attending)
Jonathan (Hi Ho Silver)
Siobhan (Shazam's White Lightning)

Old 10-12-2005, 05:02 AM
jsouz
6th Gear
Add Kendall and Dianne

they are leaving on Friday too, hoping for a Taos arrival early evening..

JPS

Old 10-12-2005, 12:44 PM
Batman1usa
3rd Gear
Friday's approaching - Time to drive

JD & Kristi will be in Taos between 7:00 - 9:00 p.m. probably staying at Indian Hills Inn $59.00

If you see me I'll have my radio on channel 7/21.
I also have a CB will be running with the truckers.

Batman

Old 10-13-2005, 04:42 AM
jsouz
6th Gear
Add WWW

Whitlow and Eleanor Wong will be going down. Need to make arrangements to meet up in either Raton and or Taos.

Andy, can you and or Rick and or Jim Daniels contact them here ( WWW in NAM ) and make arrangements?

Thanks,

JPS

Old 10-13-2005, 05:19 PM
pauhana
Take the high road
Done

I have emailed both Whitlow & Andy so that they can possibly drive together to Raton Friday evening.
Rick

Old 10-17-2005, 11:30 AM
kgelner
4th Gear
Some event pics here

The event went really well, we all had a great time!

I posted a link on the MINI5280 web site in the Photos section - but I thought I might as well include the link here as well. My smugmug gallery of the event:

http://kigiphoto.smugmug.com/gallery/890023

I uploaded full-size originals for all the photos, so if you want a picture for a large background or to get a nice print at Costco you can select "Original" size to download. A few of the pictures are crops (mostly the ones of us driving) and may not be able to print all that large.

Old 10-17-2005, 11:07 PM
pauhana
Take the high road
Me too!

Thanks Steve and the NM MINIs for organzing this ride! It was cool to motor with so many MINIs in the NM and Colorado mountains. Wendy and I enjoyed the three-day, 1000+ mile weekend in four states! Well, mainly two or three of them.

See our photos at www.coloradorick.smug.com/cars. Click on the "Run 4 The Corners" gallery. Captions coming soon. [img]images/smilies/thumb-up.gif[/img]

Rick & Wendy

Old 10-18-2005, 06:45 AM
Batman1usa
3rd Gear
One Word does not this trip describe "WOW" is only one

Steve & Mary and all that helped with this my bonnet is off to you.

We arrived home safe Monday at 3:30 P.M. Wolf Creek Pass was one last great solo run.

1777 Miles round trip, 35.6 Average MPG, 56.7 Average Speed

Many new friends of which I hope to meet again. We will definately plan on attending this run again in 2006.

Thanks again from Oklahoma
Sincerely
JD & Kristi

Quick Reply: R4tC "Run for the Corners" October 15, 16 2005