MINI5280 The Motoring Society of the Rocky Mountain Region. Visit the club site at www.mini5280.org and Event Calendar.

Snow Tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 09:29 PM
LittleBlackBug
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snow Tires

After being passed by two MINIs in the snow on I-25 NB tonight (around Greenwood Village, pepper white and grey) and starting a new job that requires me to drive, I desperately need snow tires. Erik with Ferney's suggested only getting the front two, so now I need to figure out what works the best. Currently have 17" wheels, not sure if I will need to get different wheels for the snow tires. Suggestions? Thanks!

Old 12-26-2014, 03:45 AM
Drivehard
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Winter tires are recommended to be installed as a set of 4
If possible buy a mounted set of wheels and tires with their own TPMS sensors so swapping will be a DIY in about 30 min at home
Can't see what you own. If you have JCW brakes wheels are limited due to clearance issues unless spacers are used
Check tire rack as the are the best for info and availability

Regards.

Sent from my iPad using NAMotoring

Old 12-26-2014, 01:32 PM
old81
M6
Being as the MINI is a light car, I would go with all 4 wheels with snow tires. I like the idea of the same tread on each wheel.

Your choice to only do 2 or as I suggest 4, that way you are getting equal stopping grip.

Also, with 4 you can rotate and make those winter tires last for a few seasons.

Another set of wheels is an option, but if you buy from one of the local places, they might give you a deal on swapping the tires on and off each season.

When I get to the point of having only the 2 MINIs and no Jeep I will go all 4 wheels with snows if it is not an ALL4.

Don

Old 12-26-2014, 02:25 PM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 203 Likes on 167 Posts
2 snows on the front makes for a very fun jaunt around an empty parking lot,
letting the tail weave around and adding some e-brake slides, but you really
want 4 snow tires for real driving on real roads with real traffic.

Old 12-26-2014, 06:35 PM
booktrout
3rd Gear
CDOT Tire Partners & Discounts

I think CDOT has a program to give motorists a discount on new tires or snow tires.

This map, Tire Partners & Discounts, shows participating Denver metro tire dealers.

I clicked on a few and it looks like some are offering 10%, 20% or $20 per tire in an exchange program to get bald tires off the road this winter.

Cheers,

http://www.coloradodot.info/travel/w...ners-discounts

Old 12-26-2014, 07:57 PM
miniblucabrio
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Do not put only 2 snow tires on. It might be ok to do on a rear wheel drive car but not on a front wheel drive. I did this once and won't be doing it again. I was driving down a flat straight road with about 1" of snow on it. The front wheels seemed to be gripping well but the rear wheels decided they wanted to go somewhere else! I spent the rest of that winter season with a car that constantly wanted to go in two different directions.

Small wheels/ narrow tires work the best in the snow. Depending on the year and model MINI you have you can go as small as 15". A 16" wheel will work as well. If it's not in your budget for new wheels you can get snow tires for the wheels you have on the car now.

Old 01-02-2015, 11:09 PM
LittleBlackBug
2nd Gear
Thank you all!! I ordered the Blizzaks LM-60 in a set of 4 from Costco. My plan is to put the snow tires on my existing wheels and hopefully buy a nice new set of wheels this spring. I appreciate all of the responses and very much look forward to better winter driving!