MINI5280 The Motoring Society of the Rocky Mountain Region. Visit the club site at www.mini5280.org and Event Calendar.

MINI5280 Caravan to AMVIV 2008

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 03:44 PM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MINI5280 Caravan to AMVIV 2008

Thought I would start this thread to let us track who is going and when.

We (Alberta and I) will be leaving on Wednesday, March 26 and returning on Sunday March 30. The drive out will be possibly two days but we have to get back on Sunday for school/work on Monday and we want to attend the Saturday night dinner. We have Thursday - Sunday reservations at the Palace Station.
I would love to team up with others heading out or coming back and it would be swell if one of the group has a radar detector.
So feel free to use this thread to form caravans, coordinate activities or just to say how much you wish you could go.

Chuck

Old 01-14-2008, 04:58 PM
pauhana
Take the high road
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We're Vegas-bound, baby.

Count Rick (PauHana) & Wendy in. We're already registered for AMVIV (incl. Sat. night dinner) and staying at Palace Station Thurs thru Sunday. We'd also like to caravan from Denver to Vegas with anyone wanting to drive Wednesday afternoon, staying somewhere along the way, like Grand Junction/Fruita (Colo) or Green River, UT (depending on lodging options). Makes arrival easier on Thursday and able to participate in some events on that day. We will not be caravaning back to Denver, as we will be staying in St. George, UT for a few days.

Please post here if you're going to AMVIV, even if it doesn't look like this caravan will work for you because other caravans can be formed if folks know about eachother. When it's close to AMVIV time, please exchange private messages to make final/detailed plans.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:54 PM
Agro
Coordinator :: Sin City MINI Club & AMVIV
And check the attendees page (which I will update tomorrow) to see who is going from near your location.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:36 AM
Shellbell
5th Gear
I'm going but need to find out from Ronald (Houston)when he wants his car that I'm driving out to Vegas.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:55 AM
Japic
4th Gear
We'll be along as well; Wednesday through sunday will probably work, but we don't have the details planned yet. Will post again maybe next week as they're ironed out.

Chuck, I've got a V1 detector as does the MINI that Shellbell's supposed to be piloting.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:03 AM
Shellbell
5th Gear
It does??!!!!

Old 01-15-2008, 12:22 PM
Japic
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Shellbell
It does??!!!!
Only if you believe what the owner tells you.

Originally Posted by MiniPlay
Here is the scoop:
  • 2006 Pepper White Convertible MSC, with the factory JCW option. $32k miles
  • All four tires will be replaced prior to driving up from Houston to Denver.
  • Gas money to make the trip from Denver to Vegas
  • Use of my radar detector (Valentine One)
  • Wind deflector, helps a lot with the wind back draft.
  • Have an IPOD dock connection
  • Wheel locks
  • Road Side Assistance
  • MINI Alarm System
  • Navigation System
Or so I read.

Old 01-16-2008, 04:57 AM
jsouz
6th Gear
Don't leave

without me.

JPS

Old 01-16-2008, 01:29 PM
MiniPlay
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Shellbell
I'm going but need to find out from Ronald (Houston)when he wants his car that I'm driving out to Vegas.
Anyway I can have it by lunch time on Thursday?

I'll fly in Wed. night but can use a TAXI or whatever to get around.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:31 PM
MiniPlay
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Japic
Only if you believe what the owner tells you.

Or so I read.
Yes the V1 will be with the car, use it if you want too!

The only thing missing from the car will be my IPOD.

If you have a motorola phone I'll have my car charger in the car for you to use.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:37 AM
Japic
4th Gear
The powers that be (aka, christine) have decided that we will be travelling on Wednesday straight through to vegas. This means an earlier start time on wednesday, but it allows us to take advantage of everything that the SCMC has planned out. It's a long day of driving, but worth it in the long run.

We've got reservations off site for the 26th-30th so we'll be returning sunday still.

Is anyone else available willing to drive straight through on Wednesday?

Old 01-17-2008, 01:48 PM
jsouz
6th Gear
In the past 3 years

we went to Grand Junction Wed night, then drove in to LV by Noon on Thursday.

I may still go Wed....I could do straight thru with a potty stop or two.

JPS

Old 01-17-2008, 03:34 PM
Japic
4th Gear
Originally Posted by jsouz
we went to Grand Junction Wed night, then drove in to LV by Noon on Thursday.

I may still go Wed....I could do straight thru with a potty stop or two.
Last year, when you weren't along, we left near on 9 or 10 am (late waiting for Randy Webb) from Denver. After too many bathroom breaks, a few gas stops, photo-ops and a longer stop for a late "lunch" we arrived in Vegas maybe 6pm (it was still light outside).

Without too many distractions and extra stops we could have made far better time, as evidence by Webb leaving denver after us and arriving in Vegas before us. (He must have passed us at one of our stops)

Regardless of when folks arrive, there's an awesome Italian restaraunt that we plan on visiting sometime. If we all caravan down wednesday night, it might be a good place to welcome us in. If not, then perhaps a good place to meet another night. They have the best Italian food in Vegas so far as we're concerned. I figure it would be a great way to end a long day of motoring.

Old 01-18-2008, 05:41 AM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
We would be up for Italian. Would Thursday night work? We really can't get out of town much before noon on Wednesday so not wanting to pull into Vegas at 9:00 PM, we will be stopping at either Grand Junction or Green River.

Old 02-01-2008, 05:32 AM
AllBlack05S
4th Gear
Hi all, We'll be leaving Chicago on Tues A.M. and overnighting in or near Denver. We have our room at Palace Station booked starting Weds night so we'd be interested in hooking up with some folks who have made the trip to LV before and are going to do it in one day.

We'll likely skip the italian dinner we have a tradition of eating at Cafe Lago inside Ceasars our first night in Vegas. (our first time in town we were wandering around starving trying to decide where to eat and wound up there, so now its a running joke-plus its good food)

Old 02-01-2008, 07:05 AM
jsouz
6th Gear
Chicago, you posted

in the right place. These things will come together at the last minute and we will pick up some others.

Let us know what logistics help you need. In Denver, and to avoid traffic, the best side of town is the WEST side for getting out and to the mountains. We can recommend some inexpensive hotels and of course, let you know where the SONIC's are located.

You do SONIC, right?

JPS

Old 02-01-2008, 07:07 AM
jsouz
6th Gear
BTW

that is about 1000 mi from Chicago to here. One heck of a day.

The drive to LV is much easier. We do it in about 12.5 hrs and gain an hour along the way. Some of the crowd do it faster, exp in Utah, but CO can be tough esp if there is snow down....

JPS

Old 02-07-2008, 02:33 PM
AllBlack05S
4th Gear
After a day of work we only made about 600 miles the last time out to Denver on the first day with one driver. This time there will be 2 driving, plenty of rest beforehand and shift changes so 1 day should be no major issue. I figure 3-4 hour stints behind the wheel with breaks when needed 13-15 hours max @ 80mph average without pushing it.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:03 AM
pauhana
Take the high road
Good plan, but be cautious of the Colorado's winter weather through the mountains, especially at night. Call ahead for road conditions and possible closures, which have occurred this winter more often than most. Contact Colo. Dept of Transportation (CDOT) for recorded info at 877-315-7623 (in-state toll free) or http://www.cotrip.org/

Old 02-08-2008, 03:33 PM
AllBlack05S
4th Gear
Yeah no Colorado mountains at night for me. We'll be stopping in or just before Denver. The roads much further West are completely unfamiliar. I've only gone over Loveland pass westbound and back through a tunnel and that was a long time ago in a rented minivan . We're flatlanders the states up to Colorado will be cake.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:00 PM
jsouz
6th Gear
Colorado is a piece of cake

Colorado west of Denver is beautiful to drive. But once you get to Utah, the real scenery begins.

Only 1 turn between Denver and Vegas....left at I-15.

JPS

Old 02-17-2008, 11:33 AM
old81
M6
Wed deparature with ???

I finally did it, a little late but I did get a Palace Station room and registered with AMVIV.

So, count me in for a Wed. caravan for part way to LV. Chuck's idea of Green River works for me. Does Green River have a Hampton Inn.

Where would anyone else be staying in GR?

Looking forward to my first AMVIV.

Don

Old 02-18-2008, 07:19 AM
cpartin
1st Gear
Jim and I will be leaving from Avondale, CO (Pueblo) early Wednesday morning. We plan to drive Hwy 50 to Grand Junction and then to Las Vegas. We hope to arrive in Grand Junction around noon. We'd love to join someone anywhere along the route. We do plan to arrive in Las Vegas Wednesday night. Of course all of this depends on the weather. Hope to see you somewhere along the highway but we will see you in Vegas!
Carole and Jim

Old 02-19-2008, 07:18 PM
pauhana
Take the high road
Originally Posted by old81
I finally did it, a little late but I did get a Palace Station room and registered with AMVIV.

So, count me in for a Wed. caravan for part way to LV. Chuck's idea of Green River works for me. Does Green River have a Hampton Inn.

Where would anyone else be staying in GR?

Looking forward to my first AMVIV.

Don
Don (and anyone else driving 3/26 + overnight in Green River, UT),

GR does not have a Hampton Inn. How about: Comfort Inn ($58.49 Internet User's Rate) or Holiday Inn Express ($76)? Comfort Inn sounds ok to me.

Rick

Old 02-19-2008, 10:03 PM
1st Gear
WWW. We will be taking off march 22 and ariving march 26. We are planing to stop at Zion and Bryce before we get to Las Vegas. We would like to hook up coming back on Sunday.. If anyone like to take a little vacation with us we will be glade to hook up.

Last edited by WWW; 02-22-2008 at 09:07 PM.

Quick Reply: MINI5280 Caravan to AMVIV 2008