Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain the "Red box",ecu upgrade(?)

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 03:08 PM
holdenontoit
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the "Red box",ecu upgrade(?)

I know they're not a vendor here ,but I just got a new catalogue from Bavarian Autosport, and among the goodies they sell for the New MINI is a remappped ECU upgrade called the "Power Programmer"
http://bavarianautosport.com/assets/...500/bavpp4.jpg

anyone have any experience with this? At $400 ,it seems interesting to say the least. Jock

Old 09-24-2004, 03:31 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks just like the AMD one-click...but red :smile: Look forward to info on it :smile:

Old 09-25-2004, 04:46 AM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 203 Likes on 167 Posts
probably a repackaged shark injector since it's only for the MCS and requires a 10 amp battery charger while loading. here's the "more info" link:

(Click for a larger image) BMW programs certain limitations into their on-board diagnostics software (OBDII). Our Power Programmer remaps you BMW's software to improve performance across the full rpm range. You'll realize quicker acceleration, faster 1/4 mile times and a higher top speed. Installation is an easy, do-it-yourself operation that takes less than an hour and WHAM! - your BMW is instantly faster, and more responsive. The Power Programmer also captures your BMW's factory settings so you can restore them at any time. NOTE: to perform the Power Programmer upgrade you will need a good-quality 10-amp battery charger to maintain your BMW's battery at a minimum of 12.5 volts. If you do not have a battery charger, try to borrow one from a friend. Otherwise, they are available at many department stores and auto parts retailers. ** Only for North American specification cars Dyno Charts:
Performance chart for 2.5 liter ( 325i & Ci, Z3 2.5 )
Performance chart for 3.0 liter ( 330i & Ci, Z3 3.0 )
Performance chart for M3 ( M3 Coupe & Convertible )
Performance chart for MZ3 ( M Roadster & Coupe ) Please note: Works On Mini Cooper S Too!

Part NumberDescriptionPriceBAVPP4 [size=6]Bavarian Autosport Power Programmer [/size]

$399.95

Old 09-25-2004, 05:13 AM
greatgro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GIAC is cheaper and much better I'm sure.

Old 09-25-2004, 09:52 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
[as usual, greatgro, the ultimate Helix13 groupie, has voiced his enthusiasm ]

Old 09-25-2004, 04:26 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Ryephile
[as usual, greatgro, the ultimate Helix13 groupie, has voiced his enthusiasm ]
But do you disagree? The Shark has been shown to make very little (if any) power - if this is a repackaged Shark it won't do anything right? Also, holdenontoit found this new "red box" interesting b/c it was only $400. Should I have recommended the Unichip which maybe makes similar power for $800+? :smile:

Old 09-25-2004, 05:33 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Why not just get the MTH chip? Much cheaper, and people have been showing a lot of gains...

Sorry, just had to throw another random comment in

Old 09-25-2004, 07:11 PM
05JCWS
6th Gear
I saw this, and I am almost positive it is a Shark. Based on the comments within the article, and the fact that they stopped selling the Shark this month and now the this shows up for the same price.

Old 09-25-2004, 08:22 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
greatgro; Not necessarily. First, please excuse my snippy comment to you, hopefully you can understand that reading every post you make having a reference to a Helix13 product and/or 19% pulley gets old and predictable. No hard feelings.

I'll respond in the form of another thread here in a bit.

Old 09-26-2004, 02:54 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Ryephile
greatgro; Not necessarily. First, please excuse my snippy comment to you, hopefully you can understand that reading every post you make having a reference to a Helix13 product and/or 19% pulley gets old and predictable. No hard feelings.
No problem, really. :smile: But if you really do read my posts, you'll see there's more than 19% and Helix. I tout the UUC exhaust every time some asks for exhaust opinions, and no, Helix doesn't sell it (but I think Randy does). I do have an intake (purchase from Randy, not Helix BTW) although I generally don't recommend one highly for power since they don't really do much other than make the supercharger ring louder. Helix also sells intakes. I also got a Madness rear sway bar - NOT one from Helix (got an incredible deal on it). I do, however, get my oil changes there.

FINALLY, I drove my S with the stock pulley for 11k miles;
the 15% for 15k miles;
and the 19% for just about 29k miles. The 19% kicks the 15%'s butt hands down. And EVERY TIME someone asks how they can get more torque or more mid-range power or more power b/c their A/C is sucking all of it, I will recommend the 19% to my fellow motorers b/c I firmly believe in it. Just from a 15% to 19% switch I went from someone desperate to get an ECU and researching heads and headers b/c the car still lacked power in the summer and was a dog with the A/C on, to someone who is delighted with my MINI's power through all 4 seasons.

And yeah I do like Helix. With their dyno and their technician's experience, they have the most accurate dyno results available. It's hard to dyno these cars and then like you alluded to in another thread, these MINIs are all over the place with their power numbers. So it's very easy for a vendor to post huge numbers on their products. I remember when the Madness intake-Magnaflow combo was supposed to give 18hp. Who knows - maybe that was on one of these "super" MINIs that respond really well to mods. Definitely could have been. But we all know now that intakes don't make much and exhausts don't make too much more than intakes. And here was Helix testing the same intake and exhaust getting 5-6hp. So if there is a product (such as GIAC) that repeatedly shows good numbers, I'm going to have a lot of faith in them.

But hey all is well - this is America - we can say what we want and believe what we want. I have no hard feelings.

BTW, in another thread, I just helped someone figure out how to stop warm air coming through their vents with auto A/C. So see? I can give advice w/o talking about the 19%.

Old 09-30-2004, 08:50 AM
goin440
6th Gear
I watched a bit of Shark week on the Discovery channel.