Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Questions on downpipe complimentary mods?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 10:03 AM
Dan Wink
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions on downpipe complimentary mods?

Hey all-

I will be sending my ECU to Mario this week for a stage 2 upgrade.

Once it is back, I will set some time aside to complete the install of his downpipe. In reading the install guides, it appears that the heatshield is a major pain to reinstall. I am thinking that installing an Alta (or similar) turbo blanket would improve the install as you would not have to fight the stock shield to reinstall? Additionally, it would provide additional underwood cooling. Any thoughts?

Old 06-19-2016, 10:48 AM
randeez
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Valve covers have been known to melt without the heat shield installed

Old 06-19-2016, 11:05 AM
furnitureman9
2nd Gear
I also got a dp from mario and it's seamless fit is an easy install. I got the stainless dp and would strongly suggest putting the heat shield back. It gets HOT! I was able to get all the bolts out to remove the upper and lower heat shield. When installing everything back I wasn't able to put 2 bolts back in place. A total major pain to reinstall those! But it's pretty tight and nothing rattles or moves. My 2009 clubman jcw runs like a totally different car with the stage 2 tune! You'll love it!

Old 06-19-2016, 11:32 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
The heat shields aren't that bad.

Old 06-19-2016, 02:38 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
Getting the car off the ground on a lift or at leas jack stands is needed. A good set of 1/4" drive, 10mm swivel rackets and sockets worked well for me.
I have installed the Alta Blankets and they are that much easier than reinstalling the stock top heat shield.

mQubed Motorsport, Manic Tuning Dealer

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 06-20-2016, 08:52 AM
BMC_Kid
4th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Wink
Hey all-

I will be sending my ECU to Mario this week for a stage 2 upgrade.

Once it is back, I will set some time aside to complete the install of his downpipe. In reading the install guides, it appears that the heatshield is a major pain to reinstall. I am thinking that installing an Alta (or similar) turbo blanket would improve the install as you would not have to fight the stock shield to reinstall? Additionally, it would provide additional underwood cooling. Any thoughts?
Good decision going with Mario's tune and downpipe. I went the same route and am extremely satisfied with the products and Mario. Great guy and excellent service!

I skipped replacing the heat shields as they are a PITA and really all they do is radiate the heat away from radiator and keep it trapped in the engine bay between the heat shield and the catalytic converter. The mass of the catalytic convert acts as a big heat sink and will radiate that heat long after you turn your engine off. If you are replacing the catalytic converter anyway with a downpipe, just wrap it with an exhaust heat tape or wrap and keep that heat contained inside the exhaust. It will of course still radiate some heat but nowhere near what it did previously. I wrapped my downpipe with Heatshield Products' Cobra Skin exhaust wrap. For my turbo, I used the Turbo Heat Shield from Way Motor Works. Much easier to do since you will wrap it before you install the downpipe. Your knuckles will thank you!

Also, if you are going to be installing a downpipe, I would strongly suggest that you spend some extra time and replace the turbo oil feed line if that has not already been done.

One last thing, the a turbo wrap or blanket does not replace the heat shield. Two different things. You need to either wrap your downpipe or replace the heat shield.

Last edited by BMC_Kid; 06-20-2016 at 09:03 AM.
Old 06-20-2016, 01:57 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 762 Likes on 622 Posts
If you want a heatshield go with our turbo wrap and reinstall the stock heatshield over it. We NEVER recommend removing or going with just an aftermarket heatshield. Ask the guy at MOTD that did that this year and had to replace his valve cover in the parking lot after just a few days without the stock heatshield.

If you want to do other stuff at the same time I'd do the exh manifold as it helps the turbo out just that little bit.
http://www.waymotorworks.com/turbo-e...5-r56-r57.html

then of course while you have it off our stainless turbo oil line kit
http://www.waymotorworks.com/wmw-sta...-line-kit.html

otherwise I would also recommend replacing the downpipe studs with our shorter ones as they make install easier and if you break one your not in a situation.
http://www.waymotorworks.com/exhaust...9-r60-r61.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 06-20-2016, 03:31 PM
bcriverjunky
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Put the front end in service mode.

Old 06-20-2016, 04:45 PM
sub3622
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Those links from way motor works does not work.

Old 06-28-2016, 10:32 AM
freestylin599
2nd Gear
if you plan on not using the stock shield you NEED to at least heat wrap the DP which is just another way of pushing the heat out the exhaust otherwise as others on here have said you will melt things. head covers and hood scoops will melt.

Old 06-29-2016, 09:17 PM
BMC_Kid
4th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
If you want a heatshield go with our turbo wrap and reinstall the stock heatshield over it. We NEVER recommend removing or going with just an aftermarket heatshield. Ask the guy at MOTD that did that this year and had to replace his valve cover in the parking lot after just a few days without the stock heatshield.

If you want to do other stuff at the same time I'd do the exh manifold as it helps the turbo out just that little bit.
http://www.waymotorworks.com/turbo-e...5-r56-r57.html

then of course while you have it off our stainless turbo oil line kit
http://www.waymotorworks.com/wmw-sta...-line-kit.html

otherwise I would also recommend replacing the downpipe studs with our shorter ones as they make install easier and if you break one your not in a situation.
http://www.waymotorworks.com/exhaust...9-r60-r61.html
I replaced the factory heat shields, both the upper and lower with heat tape wrapping on my downpipe and turbo heat shield from WMW - nothing else. That was three months ago and there haven't been any issues to any underhood parts.