Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Thanks DEI and NAM!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 06:56 PM
FastLaneTuning
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks DEI and NAM!

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to say a special thanks to Jon at DEI and Mark here at NAM for their support. Jon and I have been talking for a few weeks now about the possibility of getting support up with the MINI community after I placed a call to him out of the blue about a customer's order. From first hand experience, the folks at DEI are great people to deal with, and I look forward to all the business we will be doing in the future.

Mark and I have been discussing the possibility of FastLane becoming a sponsor on the site, and that possibility will soon become a reality, as soon as we take care of all the issues we have on our end. We are looking at restructuring the business and relocating to a better facility in the next few months, which is putting a strain on us to be able to play and have fun doing the stuff we enjoy doing - but as soon as the business end is situated, we will be ready to complete that sponsorship we have been discussing. Thank you Mark for being patient with me through all this.

We have a lot of great ideas for modding the MINI Cooper and Cooper S to the full potential. I don't want to break the agreement non-sponsoring businesses have before they become vendors on this site, so I won't get too far into what we're working on, but its exciting!

The installation manual, created by myself and my team at P.S.I. Motorsports, is free to use for anyone who purchases a DEI CryO2 system. It compromised many hours of our time, and we are very proud of it, so please, if you use it, use it for your personal benefit and give credit where applicable. If you should have any questions about the system, please contact either Jon or myself, and we'll be glad to help you out however possible.

Thanks again to everyone. We look forward to releasing our website for you to check out what we've been working so hard on during the past LONG months, and will be introducing our new online store, where you can purchase the DEI CryO2 kit specifically designed for the MINI Cooper S.

Happy motoring, take care everyone!

Old 09-01-2004, 07:14 AM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
DEI = Dale Earnhardt Inc. ?

Old 09-01-2004, 09:33 AM
Bisch
6th Gear
Originally Posted by andy@ross-tech.com
DEI = Dale Earnhardt Inc. ?
Design Engineering Inc.

I would be interested to see how this system differs from the one that DEI and I came up with early last summer. How does it prevent co2 ingestion into the intake? That was a huge issue I encountered when doing the first installation on a MCS. DEI is a super company to deal with. I look forward to seeing how this was done.

Old 09-01-2004, 09:56 AM
Bisch
6th Gear
I see you used the same button location and tank location as me...cool.

Just be aware of the danger of having the tank in the occupant compartment. Leaks=possible death. It will not pass a tech inspection for a race either...must have external blow-down tube.

Old 09-01-2004, 10:25 AM
Bisch
6th Gear
By the way DEI......!

The picture you show on your website,

...with the following caption:
Photograph by: Matthew JacksonMini Cooper S with the CryO2 Intercooler sprayer...Thanks guys..it worked GREAT!!!

is in fact MY photo of MY car, not who you show on your site as "Matthew Jackson"

If this "Matthew Jackson" exists, he is a loser for stealing my picture!

If DEI wants some of my pics, just ask! I hate it when people take other persons photo's and claim it to be theirs!

Old 09-01-2004, 10:49 AM
Jon@DEI
Banned
Pictures

Dear Mr. Bisch,

I sincerly appologize about the photograph it has been removed. That photo has been around longer then I have been with this company. I would love to see more pictures of your car and would like permission to use them. Regarding Mathew Jackson I am not sure who he is I am sure he is sorry. Please call me direct and I will be more than happy to work with you on getting you system running right. Once again I appologize and look forward to speaking with you.

Jon Sabo
Product Manager
1-800-264-9472

Old 09-01-2004, 11:10 AM
Bisch
6th Gear
Thank you.

I uploaded a couple of pics on your website. You are welcome to use them, as well as the one in question.

Old 09-01-2004, 11:31 AM
Bisch
6th Gear
Jon, I re-sent some photos too.

Old 09-01-2004, 11:43 AM
FastLaneTuning
4th Gear
Bisch,

Yeah, the kit that you have on your car is the one that I saw another MINI performance company doing - cutting the sprayer and turning the mounts on it to adapt to the hood so it will shut.

We will be using the new Intercooler Sprayer for my application so it won't have to be welded back together at the cut section - which is the reason why my installation manual does not account for it. But nonetheless, the system works great, even with an intake installed on the car that has a trim around it to seal against the hood when shut. This is a big concern for individuals with aftermarket intakes, and is something Jon and I will be working towards - probably noting our recommendation for aftermarket intakes to use in conjunction with the CryO2 system.

Looks good, happy spraying!

Old 09-01-2004, 01:54 PM
Bisch
6th Gear
Originally Posted by FastLaneTuning
Bisch,

Yeah, the kit that you have on your car is the one that I saw another MINI performance company doing - cutting the sprayer and turning the mounts on it to adapt to the hood so it will shut.

We will be using the new Intercooler Sprayer for my application so it won't have to be welded back together at the cut section - which is the reason why my installation manual does not account for it. But nonetheless, the system works great, even with an intake installed on the car that has a trim around it to seal against the hood when shut. This is a big concern for individuals with aftermarket intakes, and is something Jon and I will be working towards - probably noting our recommendation for aftermarket intakes to use in conjunction with the CryO2 system.

Looks good, happy spraying!
Mike, the spray system on my car is a DEI system. After much discussion with DEI, we decided on that configuration. They welded that piece for me in July of 2003. I could have used a 90' elbow, like you, but I wanted to keep that area as "clean" as possible.

As far as intakes go, you should read some archived threads I wrote last year. I have tried it several ways. The seal around the top of the box is not the real issue. The underside of the airbox shield (madness, rogue, alta etc...)still allows co2 to come up underneath it. The other area where co2 is ingested in large amounts is through the factory intake snorkel in the front grill. Co2 rolls out the IC snoot (heavier than air), and directly into the intake at slow or stopped speeds. I have proven/demonstrated that time and time again. This causes a performance loss if you are spraying right before or during a launch. In order for this system to be effective, the intake must be completely isolated from any exposure to co2. Co2 ingestion gave me ~30hp loss on the dyno run after run. Remember, co2 is a fire extinguisher. You are spraying out enough co2 in just a second or two to fill the entire engine compartment.

I am not trying to knock this system, it just isn't the most practical set-up for our intercooler/intake configuration.

Old 09-02-2004, 08:56 AM
Jon@DEI
Banned
Dyno

Sure it is possible to ingest CO2 on some vehicles on a dyno. Vehicles on a dyno depends on a fan to move air to the intercooler and radiator which is never a true comparison of a vehicle moving at 60+mph. Take your car back to the dyno and freeze the intercooler prior to your run and you will see results. I did a lot a track testing with a the sprayer (SRT-4 and MINI with an intake right by the sprayer also did not fair well on a dyno) and the results were outstanding. Through 8 back to back passes cooling the intercooler on the return road the vehicle remained consist on a 95 degree day. When the bottle emptied the heat soak set in and times went up more than a half second. I will link a document to even show Hp gaines on a dyno. Just think about it cooling your always heat soaked Intercooler either at a light, staging lane or in the pits. Having a 50% cooler Intercooler will deliver the wanted results and safley.

Link:http://www.designengineering.com/ima...manceFord2.pdf