R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Stock front plate mount

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 10:21 AM
jjsherlock46
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock front plate mount

I am going to use the stock front plate mount. I have used search and read a jillion things about other mounts, but I am using the stock one that came with my car (unattached). I am wondering if anyone has had problems caused by using this mount - like the screws pulled out or some such.

Got pulled over yesterday - no ticket - but warned - Idaho - first warning in 3 years of combined mini without front plate driving - I think he was mad because I got in front of him using legal maneuvers and felt belittled so he had to smack me around a bit.

>>

Old 01-22-2009, 10:26 AM
blue lightning
3rd Gear
I have the OEM front plate holder on my Mini an 07 MCc for over a year and a few times throught the carwash and have no issues with it. The first winter with the car I hit a bucket full of rock salt that fell off a truck and the only thing that happened was I bent the bottom of the plate. Only thing just pre-drill the 2 holes for the holder first, that way you won't get any bumps or cracked paint neat the holes in the bumper.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:30 AM
p26908
1st Gear
I need the answer to that also, as my car now only has a rear tag and when I bring it to NY I will have to mount two one being on the front, for which their is no plate mount currently (Im going to hate drilling holes just to mount a plate)

Old 01-22-2009, 10:55 AM
mini on
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
go mini go .com

Old 01-22-2009, 11:20 AM
SugarBelly
3rd Gear
skip it.

Who's chasing a car & reading the front plate?

Even if you get a ticket, isn't it one you get 15 days to remedy,- ala a broken tail light? You temporarily mount a plate, show a cop, have 'em sign off & mail it in-- sans fine, right?

silliness. MINI's are too handsome to be bothered with such legal nonsense. If I had to mount one, it wouldn't be via drilling & it'd be off once I arrived home. I don't see any trouble to get in. What are the chances of getting rolled for this BS too often?

Last edited by SugarBelly; 01-22-2009 at 12:31 PM.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:27 PM
jjsherlock46
1st Gear
no pirates allowed! There are tons of "no holes" threads here for you that cannot stand the stock mounting bracket. I think it is just fine, and I appreciate those of you who don't - so hush please! We talking about stock bracket!

Ok just finished up.

The mounting plate and hardware - there are 2 threaded metal inserts that fit nothing as far as I can tell - so not used. There are 4 machine threaded bolts (not screws) that don't fit anything - so not used (I think they were to mount the rear plate, but my dealer gave me a frame and used other machine screws). Also not used were 4 plastic caps that snap on those unused machine scews - kinda ugly white ones.

That leaves the bracket, 2 screws about 3/4 inch long with star type heads to mount it to the car, and 4 fillips screws to mount the plate with (about 1/2 inch with a squared off end)- they screw into holes in plastic so be careful not to strip them out.

My bumper had 2 little indentations where you drill the holes - they are about 5 inches apart and match 2 holes in the bracket. I drilled them with a .09ish bit. There was not much to drill - very thin plastic there - I am hoping that there is something more substantial behind it to hold the screw threads.

Screw in 2 screws to mount the bracket and then 4 screws to install the plate - hide the extra parts in your junk drawer!

I think it looks great and will make my local police happy.

Total cost - 0$$ and 10 minutes time after figuring out what went where. I am pretty sure there were some instructions with the car when I bought it, but I could not find them. I am guessing some of the mysterious holes were used on other vehicles perhaps, but the thing is contoured to fit this car perfectly, so the other car theory is shaky.

Now to find a nice plate trim and start worrying about getting in trouble for having my windows too dark.

>>

Last edited by jjsherlock46; 01-22-2009 at 12:34 PM.