MidCal MINIs MidCal MINIs...filling the MINI void between Northern and Southern California. Visit the club site at midcalminis.com

Just bought a MCS!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 10:25 AM
richneerd
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just bought a MCS!

Seems a little dead here thought I'll post anyways

I live in Visalia, bought the car in Los Angeles.

Comments are welcomed!

I'm already starting to add on mods to make the car more ridged, lower stress bar, upper stress bar, and ordering Miro STP1s. Hate the run flats!

-rich

Old 03-03-2012, 10:37 AM
teamrubixcube
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like a nice ride! '04?? Congrats on the purchase and keep updating us with the mods you do!

Old 03-03-2012, 11:15 AM
richneerd
1st Gear
Originally Posted by teamrubixcube
Looks like a nice ride! '04?? Congrats on the purchase and keep updating us with the mods you do!
Thanks for the comments! It's a 2003 ,

For sure on the mods, don't want to go too crazy though, I did that on my E46 330ci and E39 M5. Gets way too pricey!

Old 03-03-2012, 06:12 PM
ngweibing
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
congrat

Old 03-03-2012, 07:20 PM
ACallahan
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sweet ride ! that wheel gap needs to be dealt with though

Old 03-03-2012, 08:09 PM
miniblucabrio
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Sharp looking Mini! Have you taken out through the sequoias yet?

Old 03-04-2012, 01:07 AM
richneerd
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ngweibing
congrat
Thank You!

Originally Posted by ACallahan
Sweet ride ! that wheel gap needs to be dealt with though
Thanks! Coils will be installed soon.

Originally Posted by miniblucabrio
Sharp looking Mini! Have you taken out through the sequoias yet?
Thanks! I have not taken it through the sequoias yet, just got the car last week . But after my new mods come in, for sure I'll take it up there.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:49 AM
Tron Chief
6th Gear
Rich,
Make sure that you swing over to the Dark Silver Owners Club DSOC at https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...b-dsoc-37.html A group of us meet at Casa Corona's at Cedar for dinner and Herndon on Friday Nights and or at Custom Mini Shop in Fresno on Saturdays. If you have any questions hit me up.

John aka Tron Chief

Old 03-04-2012, 05:54 AM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Nice ride. I'll be installing some coils on mine as well. Hopefully, within the next 2 weeks.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:12 AM
richneerd
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Tron Chief
Rich,
Make sure that you swing over to the Dark Silver Owners Club DSOC at https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...b-dsoc-37.html A group of us meet at Casa Corona's at Cedar for dinner and Herndon on Friday Nights and or at Custom Mini Shop in Fresno on Saturdays. If you have any questions hit me up.

John aka Tron Chief
Sounds fun! I work in Fresno so maybe after work someday I'll swing by .

Originally Posted by drsimmons
Nice ride. I'll be installing some coils on mine as well. Hopefully, within the next 2 weeks.
Very nice! I just did the whole inspection 1 with my friend yesterday and wow the previous owner did not take care of it so it seems.

The fire-shield is missing a bolt, oil fluid was so dirty probably wasn't changed in forever, and cabin filter was nasty too!

List of what we did yesterday.

MINI Inspection I:

Undercarriage
Change oil and oil filter while engine is at operating temperature.
We recommend MINI Synthetic Motor Oil, p/n 07 51 0 143 829
Check transmission for leaks.
Replaced Transmission Oil with Redline MTL
Half shafts: Check for leaks at flexible boots.
Visually check fuel tank, lines and connections for leaks.
Check condition, position, and mounting of exhaust system. Examine for leaks.
Check power steering system for leaks. Check p/s fluid level; add fluid if necessary.
Check overall thickness of front and rear disc brake pads (outer pads only) using special tool.
If replacement is necessary:
Examine brake disc surfaces. clean brake pad contact points in calipers. Grease wheel centering hubs.
Check thickness of parking brake linings only when replacing rear pads.
Check steering for absence of play, condition of suspension track rods, front axle joints, steering linkage and joint disc.
Check brake system connections and lines for leaks, damage, and incorrect positioning.
Check parking brake actuation. Adjust if necessary.
Check all tire pressures (including spare). Correct if necessary. Check condition of tires (outer surfaces [left/right]), tread wear and pattern; in case of uneven tread wear readjust wheel alignment if requested.*
Note:If requested rotate all four road wheels as instructed and rebalance.*
Inspect entire body according to terms of rust perforation limited warranty (must be performed at least every two years).

Engine Compartment
Read out diagnostic system.
Check engine cooling system/heater hose connections for leaks. Check coolant level and antifreeze protection level; add coolant if necessary.
Note:Coolant must be replaced every 4 years (time interval begins from vehicle's production date).
Check level of brake fluid in reservoir. Add fluid if required.
Replace brake fluid every 2 years (timing interval begins from vehicle's production date).* Will do this probably next year.***
Check windshield washer fluid level and antifreeze protection. Fill up and/or correct if necessary.
Check air conditioner operation.
Replace microfilter.
Note: reduce replacement interval in dusty operating conditions.
Reset Service Interval Indicator.

Body/Electrical Equipment
Check battery state-of-charge, and charge if required.*
Check lighting system, i.e., headlights, foglights, parking, back-up, license plate, interior, glove box, illuminated make-up mirrors, luggage area lights.
Check instrument panel and dashboard illumination.
Check all warning/indicator lights, check control.
Check turn signals, hazard warning flashers, brake lights, horns, headlight dimmer/flasher switch.
Check windshield and tailgate wipers and washer systems; wiper blades, washer jet positions.
Check condition and function of safety belts.
Check central locking system.
Check operation of all latches.
Check heater/air conditioner blower fan, rear window defogger.
Check rear view mirrors.
Visually examine the SRS airbag units for torn covers, obvious damage or attachment of decals, decorations or accessories.

Final Inspection
Visually check shock absorbers for leaks.
Then I notice when I locked the car, the lights don't flash or anything. All my other cars do this, BMW 330ci, BMW M5, and VW Rabbit. So we busted out the NSCEXPERT and programmed it. I don't have a factory alarm but it's nice to know if you locked the car now.

Happy Motoring!

Old 03-05-2012, 10:25 AM
richneerd
1st Gear
Damn woke up today , car developed a sparratic rpm idle, it's jumping up and down slowly at stop lights. 10 seconds it's fine idling at 800 then it drops down to 600 and back up again. It's like the car is grasping for air. Well I'm at work now so I can't play with it. Can't focus at work because I'm trippin lol.

Checked out forums and googled, the only thing I can Find was from motoring alliance, check vacuum leaks, spark plugs, exhaust leak, MAP sensor and all that junk.

Well my new MSD ignition along with new spark plugs ands wires will be in on thursday, let's hope that will clear things up. I might have to leave the mini at home for a few days till the new parts come :(. Damn gas guzzling M5 here we come.

Old 03-05-2012, 01:01 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Originally Posted by richneerd
Damn woke up today , car developed a sparratic rpm idle, it's jumping up and down slowly at stop lights. 10 seconds it's fine idling at 800 then it drops down to 600 and back up again. It's like the car is grasping for air. Well I'm at work now so I can't play with it. Can't focus at work because I'm trippin lol.

Checked out forums and googled, the only thing I can Find was from motoring alliance, check vacuum leaks, spark plugs, exhaust leak, MAP sensor and all that junk.

Well my new MSD ignition along with new spark plugs ands wires will be in on thursday, let's hope that will clear things up. I might have to leave the mini at home for a few days till the new parts come :(. Damn gas guzzling M5 here we come.
With all the stuff you guys did I'd suspect something is loose, electrical wire, loose plug wire, loose vacuum hose. Did it act like this before you dug into the car?
If it run ok before I'd have to say somethings unhooked, disconnected, or just lose. Happens all the time to people. Loose ground wire?????

Old 03-05-2012, 01:23 PM
richneerd
1st Gear
With all the stuff you guys did I'd suspect something is loose, electrical wire, loose plug wire, loose vacuum hose. Did it act like this before you dug into the car?
If it run ok before I'd have to say somethings unhooked, disconnected, or just lose. Happens all the time to people. Loose ground wire?????
It did before but today it was worse, so I'm guessing I'm going to have to dig in!

*Checked all wires, grounds during my lunch break so everything seems normal. Even sitting ideling in the parking lot. The car has a mind of its own!

Turned on the HVAC system with A/C on, saw the rpm drop a little and hesitate. I'm thinking it has to do something with the heating and cooling Fan now?

* little update hooked it to the gt1 computer no problems or error codes. Man what a trip, still does it at red lights ideling, jumpy jump. :(

Last edited by richneerd; 03-05-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:58 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
It did before but today it was worse, so I'm guessing I'm going to have to dig in!

*Checked all wires, grounds during my lunch break so everything seems normal. Even sitting ideling in the parking lot. The car has a mind of its own!

Turned on the HVAC system with A/C on, saw the rpm drop a little and hesitate. I'm thinking it has to do something with the heating and cooling Fan now?

* little update hooked it to the gt1 computer no problems or error codes. Man what a trip, still does it at red lights ideling, jumpy jump. :(
Someone else posted a similar situation, at stop lights the cars rpms would rev up to 3K than fall down to 600rpms. I've searched until I'm blue in the face and for the life of me can't find it. Don't know if they ever got a resolution to the issue either. I'll keep looking.
Hopefully, the poster will see this and respond.
Very frustrating I'm sure.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:59 PM
richneerd
1st Gear
Ok little update I seafoamed the engine. Put the HVAC to medium settings. No rpm jumping when idle, but does that mean it helped? Maybe but for sure I need to change my sparks they are very bad, and I need to change the ignition igniters bank 3 and 4 are all rusted and look horrible. I believe it was not touched since the day it rolled out of the assembly line.

Brand new parts are already on the way so once it arrives I'll change it out and update again. I sat idle for 3 minutes and the rpm did not jump or anything so I don't know.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:53 AM
drsimmons
6th Gear
^^^Maybe it just needed a little TLC.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:32 PM
richneerd
1st Gear
^^^Maybe it just needed a little TLC.
Tender Love and Care? LOL .

Old 03-07-2012, 01:29 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Tender Love and Care? LOL .
I bought mine used and changed the oil twice within 6K miles to make sure I got all the crud out just in case. After fixing my only 2 issues with it, it's been great. Runs strong, doesn't use oil, and most importantly, it always starts right up.
Of course, I've done alot to it since I've had it (cosmetic and suspension).
What fun it is.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:12 PM
richneerd
1st Gear
I bought mine used and changed the oil twice within 6K miles to make sure I got all the crud out just in case. After fixing my only 2 issues with it, it's been great. Runs strong, doesn't use oil, and most importantly, it always starts right up.
Of course, I've done alot to it since I've had it (cosmetic and suspension).
What fun it is.
Nice! yeah, I started to dive right into maintenance and modding the new MCS I picked up too. It's fun but at the same time makes you broke . I think after pully, rims, suspension, upper stress bar I should lay low on mods .

One of the mods I really want to do is sound dampening the whole car with dynamat or some type of insulation. So I will no longer hear creaks, plastic shaking, and outside noise. My M5 is crazy quiet you can hear yourself breathing .

Old 03-07-2012, 05:47 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Nice! yeah, I started to dive right into maintenance and modding the new MCS I picked up too. It's fun but at the same time makes you broke . I think after pully, rims, suspension, upper stress bar I should lay low on mods .

One of the mods I really want to do is sound dampening the whole car with dynamat or some type of insulation. So I will no longer hear creaks, plastic shaking, and outside noise. My M5 is crazy quiet you can hear yourself breathing .
With what you see in my sig. plus what's sitting in my office waiting to install, I'm with you. Lay low time and not by choice, I'm tapped out now.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:17 PM
carlitosway
1st Gear
Nice Car and color. I have the same year and color.

Cheers,

Old 03-08-2012, 12:32 AM
richneerd
1st Gear
Originally Posted by carlitosway
Nice Car and color. I have the same year and color.

Cheers,
Thanks for the comments! your car looks great!

Old 03-08-2012, 07:41 PM
richneerd
1st Gear
*Update, Changed the spark plugs and OMG!! cleaner idle, performance and efficiency is just outstanding. Starting from cold start, it ignites faster and stronger.

I did not get a chance to install the new spark plug wires and the new MSD ignition, the stock screws don't fit on the new MSD. So I'm stuck here, kinda jewish they don't include any bolts.

So today I only installed the new NGK cooler spark plugs.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:37 AM
drsimmons
6th Gear
*Update, Changed the spark plugs and OMG!! cleaner idle, performance and efficiency is just outstanding. Starting from cold start, it ignites faster and stronger.

I did not get a chance to install the new spark plug wires and the new MSD ignition, the stock screws don't fit on the new MSD. So I'm stuck here, kinda jewish they don't include any bolts.

So today I only installed the new NGK cooler spark plugs.
Glad to hear it's coming around. Funny, you sound just like me.
First week I got mine I changed out everything from battery to plugs, to oil, to filters, and on and on. It's been good so far.
I've got some coilovers, a intercooler, discharge pipe, torque arm mount inserts, all sitting here and going to be installed the 27th. Can't wait.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:55 PM
richneerd
1st Gear
Glad to hear it's coming around. Funny, you sound just like me.
First week I got mine I changed out everything from battery to plugs, to oil, to filters, and on and on. It's been good so far.
I've got some coilovers, a intercooler, discharge pipe, torque arm mount inserts, all sitting here and going to be installed the 27th. Can't wait.
Thanks! well the A/C is making a funky noise when you turn off the car. Other than that everything else is fine.

Quick Reply: Just bought a MCS!