Lowcountry MINIS Club (Charleston, SC) The Lowcountry MINIS Club forum (Charleston, SC). Visit our club site at www.wecantdrive.com/forum/portal.php

lowcountry members - opinion about the dealer service

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 07:53 AM
medcare
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lowcountry members - opinion about the dealer service

I am new to posting but I was just wondering if anyone has an opinion about service from the dealer here in Charleston, SC. We have always used the dealer for maintenance else where and our mini (02' non-S with automatic transmission) had a check engine light show up (69K miles) and we took it to the dealer and they could not diagnose the problem except to say that the computer needed to be reset (kept for 12 days, said they had to send the diagnostic report to NJ for analysis because they could not figure out why the light was on, charged $300 for that) drove it for a week then the light came back on soon after and they said that it was either transmission ($8,000) or "a switch" within the transmission ($550) it was driving just fine so we were going to take it to a transmission place as we weren't too confident from the last result with the dealer and their explanations of the initial check engine light and now after driving it for a few days, it won't drive any faster than about 15 mph because it won't automatically shift into the next gear....only now do I realize that this is a problem due to "midlands" transmission and so many other minis of the same year. SO, any opinions on where we should have this repaired or should we just forget about the mini? it's only worth about $7500 (I know because about 6 weeks prior to all this happening I went into the dealer to trade it in for something new - you should always trust your first instincts!) thank you so much for your time to respond, ours is just sitting there - we don't know what to do and are completely heartbroken! thank you.

Old 07-14-2008, 01:51 PM
LowCountry S
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've always had great service there (MINI of Charleston); I'd give them a call, tell them the deal with whats going on, and have them check it out.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:24 AM
chadtoolio
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
mike,

I believe we have already checked this car, we are the dealer he is talking about.

Medcare, I don't like how all this worked out either. Problem is that the ratio actuator on your car is not acting up all the time. Originally, we checked your trans,reprogrammed your module and readapted it due to some strange shift characteristics.. The tech that was working on it felt it best to do this and see how it worked for you. Apparently, the problem still persisted. The factory provided diagostic path is weak at best. After measuring the ratio actuator and the resistance came back ok, the test module states to replace the GIU unit. I might be able to come up with a test unit for you. Otherwise, there has to be more extensive testing done to reduplicate and capture the glitch. Sorry this has been frustrating for you. We can discuss it deeper if you like, by phone or pm.

Sincerely,
chad

Last edited by chadtoolio; 07-16-2008 at 04:02 AM.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:18 PM
littlehandegan
Coordinator :: Low Country MINIs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Charleston MINI has great service, would highly recomend,

jack