JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

JCW Sound Kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 10:12 AM
rjtrout2000
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MINI_Bee
I replaced the paper OEM filter with and ITG drop-in filter. Big difference in sound, response and my gas mileage improved.
I can totally vouch for that. My ITG filter is really great as far as both sound and response are concerned. Best 60 bucks I have spent so far. At least until the SS lines get put on

Old 02-23-2007, 02:45 PM
illegalprelude
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
they still offer this? I thought they took it away

Old 02-23-2007, 06:29 PM
MINIBee
6th Gear
Originally Posted by illegalprelude
they still offer this? I thought they took it away
You're probably confusing the JCW Tuning Kit with the JCW Sound Kit. The Tuning Kit included a replacement cylinder head and is no longer available (although you might be able to find a dealer sitting on one somewhere). The Sound Kit is just a JCW exhaust, modified air box for better sound, silver injector cover with JCW badge, JCW ECU update and JCW badges.

Old 02-24-2007, 08:02 PM
jamesday24
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bobafetts3
I finnally got a hold of someone at irvine mini that "might" know what they are talking about. He told me that the 1900 was just the labor for the JCW tuning kit. So I got quoted the wrong $ amount anyway. He said the 1 hour on the install sheet is just an approximent and should expect closer to three hours. so it's like 980+430 so closer to 1500 with tax. Hopefully the next closer dearler has a better idea what they are talking about.
They either don't know what they are talking about or are jerking you around. The JCW Tuning Kit is quoted by MINI at 5 hours and that's how long it took to install mine. I paid $495 (5 hours x $99/hour) for the install at my MINI dealer. Minspeed (formerly MyMini) has a JCW Tuning Kit listed on their site for $2,595.00 (that's mine in the photo).

The JCW Sound Kit is quoted by MINI at 1 hour. Even at 1.5 hours and a higher labor-rate than I paid, the install of a Sound Kit should cost no more than $200 to $250.

Old 02-25-2007, 10:28 AM
bobafetts3
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by jamesday24
They either don't know what they are talking about or are jerking you around. The JCW Tuning Kit is quoted by MINI at 5 hours and that's how long it took to install mine. I paid $495 (5 hours x $99/hour) for the install at my MINI dealer. Minspeed (formerly MyMini) has a JCW Tuning Kit listed on their site for $2,595.00 (that's mine in the photo).

The JCW Sound Kit is quoted by MINI at 1 hour. Even at 1.5 hours and a higher labor-rate than I paid, the install of a Sound Kit should cost no more than $200 to $250.

Yeah that's what I figured. I called around to another dealer in the area and they told me 1400 for the part tax and install. So for a part that's over $100 more expencive the install plus tax is still less at the other dealer.

So I think I'm not going to be going to Irvine for anything.

Old 02-28-2007, 09:29 AM
speedturbo
Neutral
I just picked up my MINI from South Bay MINI last night. They installed the JCW Sound Kit on my MINI. Wow, everyone is right! I smiled all the way home. It's not a great performance gain, but I do feel the different in acceleration compare to stock.

bobafetts, I also called around all the Southern California dealerships, they all quoted the part & labor between $1400 - $1500. And I think South Bay MINI is actually on the higher end, but since I bought my MINI there and also I did my JCW Suspension Kit at the same time, they gave me a 10% discount on the parts and $150 off on the labor. I guess being in SC, the demend is high and the dealerships are not in a hurry to sell them. They know whoever want it will pay for it. Good Luck!

Old 02-28-2007, 01:18 PM
illegalprelude
4th Gear
Originally Posted by speedturbo
I just picked up my MINI from South Bay MINI last night. They installed the JCW Sound Kit on my MINI. Wow, everyone is right! I smiled all the way home. It's not a great performance gain, but I do feel the different in acceleration compare to stock.

bobafetts, I also called around all the Southern California dealerships, they all quoted the part & labor between $1400 - $1500. And I think South Bay MINI is actually on the higher end, but since I bought my MINI there and also I did my JCW Suspension Kit at the same time, they gave me a 10% discount on the parts and $150 off on the labor. I guess being in SC, the demend is high and the dealerships are not in a hurry to sell them. They know whoever want it will pay for it. Good Luck!
hhmmm. I usually go to Bob Smith myself but I hear good stuff always from South Bay Mini

Old 03-02-2007, 05:21 PM
eastmtmini
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MINI_Bee
I replaced the paper OEM filter with and ITG drop-in filter. Big difference in sound, response and my gas mileage improved.
Where did you purchase the ITG air filter and what is the part #? I checked the ITG website and did not see one listed for the MINI. I have the SK installed on my MC and I think it's terrific. Thanks for the confirmation.

Old 03-04-2007, 07:30 AM
jamesday24
6th Gear
Check with Minspeed (formerly MyMini) for them:

http://www.minspeed.net/ITG.htm

Old 03-20-2007, 05:56 PM
liveSTRONG
3rd Gear
WOW

I just got back from the dealer with my new JCW Sound Kit installed...WOW, I have to say I'm really impressed...I was smiling ear to ear the whole ride home. It kind of makes me want to always keep it above 4K.

HIGHLY recommend the kit...I'm cheap and don't like spending money on overpriced parts...but I decided to splurge and I'm pumped! Throttle response is improved and it makes the overall driving experience a lot more fun.

Thank you Motorwerks MINI...$1170 installed (including tax)!

Nuf said

Old 03-20-2007, 08:01 PM
jamesday24
6th Gear
Very cool!

Now imagine how much fun I had when I took my MINI home after getting thr JCW Tuning Kit installed.

Old 03-20-2007, 08:31 PM
liveSTRONG
3rd Gear
Very cool!

Now imagine how much fun I had when I took my MINI home after getting thr JCW Tuning Kit installed.
Yeah...I can only imagine! Too bad it's not available anymore...but I'm very happy with the JCW SK...and newly installed checkerboard roof! Now I just need to find the right set of wheels

Old 03-20-2007, 09:10 PM
eastmtmini
1st Gear
Check with Minspeed (formerly MyMini) for them:

http://www.minspeed.net/ITG.htm
Thanks for the info.

Old 04-18-2007, 10:14 AM
jdonaldlukas
3rd Gear
Does anyone know what programming is actually done on the ECU? Is it customized for the added hardware? Can it be done without the rest of the kit?

Thanks in advance-

J