JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

JCW Kit for the MC (Non S)

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 03:58 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesday24
MyMini has it for less than MINI retail. The photo is of my engine bay.
James,

I forget if you answered this before... but did you create those JCW side vents yourself, or did they come with your kit? If they came with your kit, can you find the part numbers?

Old 01-07-2006, 09:11 PM
jamesday24
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The side vents are my original stock vents. The JCW Tuning Kit comes with two side badges which go in the vents using two bolts per badge. They had to drill holes in the vents. The part number for the pair of side badges is 51 14 0 306 114. They retail for $83.75 for the pair.

James

Old 01-09-2006, 07:08 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
The side vents are my original stock vents. The JCW Tuning Kit comes with two side badges which go in the vents using two bolts per badge. They had to drill holes in the vents. The part number for the pair of side badges is 51 14 0 306 114. They retail for $83.75 for the pair.

James
Awesome - thanks for the info. I think they'd make a great addition to my MINI.

Old 01-10-2006, 08:54 AM
jamesday24
6th Gear
I have descriptions and photos of my JCW Tuning Kit installation at jamesday.net/mini/jcw.

James

Old 01-10-2006, 02:17 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Cool... nice pics! BTW, do you know if the MC JCW kit is compatible with the CVT? Or, just like the MCS kit, is it only available for manual transmissions?

Also, I'd be curious to know what the JCW Sound Kit has that the regular JCW kit doesn't... and whether there'd be any benefit of combining or mixing the two...

Old 01-10-2006, 03:09 PM
dickdavid
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Edge
...Also, I'd be curious to know what the JCW Sound Kit has that the regular JCW kit doesn't... and whether there'd be any benefit of combining or mixing the two...
The Sound Kit has a different muffler. It also has a new air intake box.

The Sound Kit doesn't have that HUGE chunk of engine that's changed out. I guess that's the difference between 11bhp and 3bhp.

The Sound Kit does come with the same badging as the regular kit (sans side vent logos).

I'm not sure how the Regular JCW Kit sounds, but the JCW SK is great.

Muffler (next to a stock):

Under the bonnet:

Old 01-10-2006, 03:19 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by dickdavid
The Sound Kit has a different muffler. It also has a new air intake box.

The Sound Kit doesn't have that HUGE chunk of engine that's changed out. I guess that's the difference between 11bhp and 3bhp.

I'm not sure how the Regular JCW Kit sounds, but the JCW SK is great.
Thanks dickdavid... I was aware of the HP differences and the fact that the TK was a lot more involved... we all know that the SK has "less stuff" than the TK... but is there anything unique from the SK worth adding if someone already had the TK, like James does? For example - I am curious as to whether the SK's airbox and muffler would be worth ADDING to the TK. Does the TK include a new airbox too? The same one as the SK or a different one? Although mufflers don't really have THAT much impact on performance, I wonder if the SK's muffler would be slightly better? The sound question is definitely a valid one too... it's a shame that you and James don't live closer, for direct comparisons - perhaps sound bytes are in order?

Of course, I'm asking this out of sheer curiosity, since I have a JCW MCS myself... but I think the info is worth documenting and adding to NAM's archive anyway.

One question for you dickdavid, while we're at it - as far as you know, is the SK compatible with a CVT transmission? I've already asked above about the TK's CVT compatibility, but no word on that yet...

Old 01-10-2006, 03:48 PM
dickdavid
6th Gear
I'm not sure if the SK will fit on a CVT.

I do think the TK gets a new filter, but not a new box. The SK's box has an extra intake with an extra filter. I'm sure it breathes better, but maybe not worth upgrading from the TK option.

You're right, switching out the exhaust will be strictly up to sound quality. There's an MC in Houston with a TK. If I ever meet up with her, I'll definately compare and report.

Old 01-10-2006, 11:09 PM
jamesday24
6th Gear
The MINI bulletin I have for the JCW Tuning Kit states:

Note:
The John Cooper Works Kit for MINI Cooper must not be installed on cars with optional automatic gearbox (CVT)

David is correct, the Tuning Kit includes a new air filter, but not a new airbox.

I have the original sound files from the John Cooper website for the JCW MC Tuning Kit:

JCW MINI Cooper - Outside
JCW MINI Cooper - Inside

I'll be at the Dragon in May if you'd like to hear my MINI.

James

Old 01-10-2006, 11:13 PM
mini552
4th Gear
I love my new Cooper in part because of the great fuel economy - Does the JCW Kit affect that, other than if you're really putting your foot in it from increased fun factor?

Old 01-10-2006, 11:41 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
The MINI bulletin I have for the JCW Tuning Kit states:

Note:
The John Cooper Works Kit for MINI Cooper must not be installed on cars with optional automatic gearbox (CVT)
Bummer... not for me, but for my girlfriend (ssallykat here on NAM) and her MCcvt. Oh well... I just have to complete her training on how to drive a manual. The other question still remains... if the SK is compatible with the CVT.
David is correct, the Tuning Kit includes a new air filter, but not a new airbox.
Interesting... I'm curious, have you ever considered fitting the sound kit's airbox? I imagine there would be a performance improvement (even if it is slight). If the SK boosts power by 3hp, at least 1 or possibly 2 of those HP gains could possibly be attributed to the intake side of things as opposed to the new exhaust... and since the SK is a newer development, it's quite possible that had the TK stayed on the market, they would have "updated" it with the new airbox anyway (just like they did for the MCS JCW kit, in the "200bhp to 210bhp" update.

Incidentally I searched a little harder and found the two RealOEM.com pages on the two kits, in case anyone wants to see the breakdown. The side badges that James listed for me earlier are on there too, of course.

RealOEM.COM BMW R50 Cooper JOHN COOPER WORKS TUNINGKIT
RealOEM.COM BMW R50 Cooper JOHN COOPER WORKS SOUNDKIT

I for one would be very curious to see a JCW-TK Cooper with the SK airbox improvements! Also, I think from photos too that the exhaust tip on the SK is the same as the one used in the MCS JCW TK, so it probably is a better "visual" match since it has the JCW logo engraved on the end.

Old 01-11-2006, 02:04 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
My Sound Kit was installed on my new car before I took delivery, so I can't make comparisons for gas mileage. I understand that a better intake will actually tend to improve mileage, but the Sound Kit's ECU remap will also affect the consumption.
Originally Posted by dickdavid
The SK's box has an extra intake with an extra filter. I'm sure it breathes better, but maybe not worth upgrading from the TK option.
I happened to be looking around the engine compartment last night to familiarize myself for a front fog light retrofit installation. I will need to access the fuse box in the engine compartment, and I found it covered by the Sound Kit's extra intake, which can be tilted out of the way for access. This extra intake gets air from the cowl opening in front of the driver. The size of the air channel in the extra intake is quite small, and because of aerodynamics I would not expect much air to naturally flow into the cowl, so I conclude that the extra intake adds minimally to the engine's air intake. I believe that its primary purpose is to channel sound to the passenger compartment.

For comparison with James's files of the JCW Tuning Kit, the John Cooper Works website has clips of the Sound Kit: http://www.johncooper.co.uk/JohnCoop.../soundkit.html
The audio files may be downloaded separately here:
JCW Sound Kit - Outside
JCW Sound Kit - Inside

Old 01-11-2006, 08:42 AM
jamesday24
6th Gear
My gas mileage went up by about 1 mpg even though I drive a little more aggressively since the JCW Tuning Kit installation. I usually average 30-32 mpg mixed motoring.

I don't have plans for any more mods, so I won't be adding the JCW airbox.

Old 01-11-2006, 09:26 AM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
My gas mileage went up by about 1 mpg even though I drive a little more aggressively since the JCW Tuning Kit installation. I usually average 30-32 mpg mixed motoring.

I don't have plans for any more mods, so I won't be adding the JCW airbox.
Ahh OK... I'm still curious to see your car anyway - nice to know that you'll be at the Dragon in May - look for me there too! Hard to miss with my license plate.

Old 01-11-2006, 11:32 AM
dickdavid
6th Gear
...I have the original sound files from the John Cooper website for the JCW MC Tuning Kit:

JCW MINI Cooper - Outside
JCW MINI Cooper - Inside

I'll be at the Dragon in May if you'd like to hear my MINI.

James
These sound exactly like the sound bytes that the JCW site uses for their Sound Kit - the revs are almost identical. Hmmm.

Originally Posted by rkw
My Sound Kit was installed on my new car before I took delivery, so I can't make comparisons for gas mileage. I understand that a better intake will actually tend to improve mileage, but the Sound Kit's ECU remap will also affect the consumption...
I'm actually getting an extra 30-40 miles per tankful.

Old 01-22-2006, 01:57 AM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
The part number for the pair of side badges is 51 14 0 306 114. They retail for $83.75 for the pair.
I just picked up my order for that part number today... it turns out that the part number is only for ONE badge, not two. OUCH. I did it anyway, but yeah... FYI for anyone else who comes across this thread and wants to do this mod... you have to order two of that part number, not one!

Old 01-22-2006, 07:13 PM
jamesday24
6th Gear
Sorry about that, that's how it's listed on the parts sheet I have.

Old 01-22-2006, 11:22 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
It's OK, no biggie... it was just a shock. Which parts sheet are you referring to? Is it this one?

RealOEM.COM BMW R50 Cooper JOHN COOPER WORKS TUNINGKIT

Perhaps the fact it says "Qty 2" simply means that 2 of them are included in the kit, not that you get 2 with the one part number.

Oh well, good to know now... and knowing me and how I just "had to have them", I doubt it would have stopped me. I have the second one on order, should arrive on Wednesday or Thursday. I have already "modded" the Cooper side vents I bought (using the one badge I do have) in preparation. I quickly discovered that an exacto knife or stanley knife is a far better way to make the holes than a drill, especially when you're starting off with little holes in the material anyway.

I have to say though - this badge is the thickest and heaviest I have seen of the JCW badges so far... it's a heavy duty part, very solid metal!

Old 01-24-2006, 06:32 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Still no replies.

I have the original PDF brochure for this kit if you want it.
James, I'd be curious to see the original PDF brochure on this, even though it doesn't apply to my MINI. I don't know why, but I'm REALLY intrigued by the concept of a JCW Cooper... if I had money to throw around, I'd consider buying an MCC and putting the JCW TK (and SK, if possible) on it... just because. I'd keep my MCS too, of course.

Old 01-24-2006, 08:43 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
I'd consider buying an MCC and putting the JCW TK (and SK, if possible)
The significant difference between the Tuning Kit and the Sound Kit is that the TK replaces the cylinder head. Otherwise, both include a cat-back exhaust, remap, and intake (TK only changes the air filter). TK is supposed to be only for pre-05 Coopers, but I wonder if its cylinder head would work on an 05/06. Were there any changes in the Cooper engine between 04 and 05 that would prevent this?

I have the Sound Kit on my MCC, but asked the dealer not to mount the JCW badge (it is supposed to go on the boot). I keep it on my dresser and it is indeed a heavy, substantial piece. By the way, my experience with "Qty" on RealOEM is that it indicates how many pieces are used on the car (or in the diagram), not how many are included with the part number.

Old 01-25-2006, 01:18 AM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by rkw
The significant difference between the Tuning Kit and the Sound Kit is that the TK replaces the cylinder head. Otherwise, both include a cat-back exhaust, remap, and intake (TK only changes the air filter). TK is supposed to be only for pre-05 Coopers, but I wonder if its cylinder head would work on an 05/06. Were there any changes in the Cooper engine between 04 and 05 that would prevent this?
Yes, I was well aware of the differences between the kits... but I would be curious to use the Sound Kit's exhaust and modified airbox with the Tuning Kit's new cylinder head. One wonders if the "software" for both kits could be loaded together... although if not, I am sure the TK's software would be preferred. I still want to see the original brochure PDF, especially since it's hard to find now.
Originally Posted by rkw
I have the Sound Kit on my MCC, but asked the dealer not to mount the JCW badge (it is supposed to go on the boot). I keep it on my dresser and it is indeed a heavy, substantial piece. By the way, my experience with "Qty" on RealOEM is that it indicates how many pieces are used on the car (or in the diagram), not how many are included with the part number.
Ahh, that makes sense now. Actually, the badges that I ordered are a little different than the boot ones, because they come with bolts already attached (and a nut and washer) specifically designed to mount into the Cooper side vent. They are REALLY thick metal, more so than the boot mounted badge, I think, although I haven't done a side-by-side comparison yet.

Old 01-25-2006, 07:06 PM
jamesday24
6th Gear
James, I'd be curious to see the original PDF brochure on this, even though it doesn't apply to my MINI.
http://www.jamesday.net/mini/jcw/JCW...INI_COOPER.pdf

Unfortunately, I don't have the Dealer Bulletin PDF, just a printout from the dealership who installed it.

I still love my JCW Tuning Kit and am still looking for someone, anyone, who also has this installed.

Old 01-26-2006, 05:32 AM
Aquasar
6th Gear
James thanks for what you did have. I have read this before and have thought about it but I have never had the extra cash for it.

Art

Old 02-24-2006, 12:28 PM
jamesday24
6th Gear
MotoringFile has the installation instructions with parts list online today:

http://motoringfile.com/2006/02/24/o...gine-kit-diy-2

Old 02-24-2006, 12:47 PM
DB_NC_06MC
2nd Gear
James... THANKS for the info and great pics and link to the kit. This may be on for my MC after tax and bonus time.

I assume these parts are covered by manufacturer warranty ?

Do you know the make of the air filter element that came with the kit ? Might it be ITG or other-sourced foam type ?

Quick Reply: JCW Kit for the MC (Non S)