North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   JCW Garage (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/jcw-garage-230/)
-   -   JCW Sound Kit (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/jcw-garage/51225-jcw-sound-kit.html)

Aquasar 09-19-2005 10:53 AM

JCW Sound Kit

I am thinking of getting this for my Cooper and am wondering whether or not the upgrade is worth it?

Can anyone give me some feedback?

Art

goaljnky 09-19-2005 10:56 AM

Not worth it.

tradiuz 09-19-2005 10:58 AM

Its money that could be spent elsewhere for more than just "sound". :wink:

Aquasar 09-19-2005 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by goaljnky
Not worth it.

So it would better just to go out and get a nice Miltec exhaust and keep my K&N filter?

Art

goaljnky 09-19-2005 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Aquasar
So it would better just to go out and get a nice Miltec exhaust and keep my K&N filter?

Art

Yep, pretty much. Use the extra money to do the suspention.

rkw 09-19-2005 07:47 PM

Okay, you folks are putting me to shame. I'll admit that I've ordered the Sound Kit for my 2006 MCC. It will be pre-installed before I take delivery of the car in mid-October.

I knew that I would like to upgrade the intake and exhaust at some point, but feel reluctant to install aftermarket before the warranty runs out. I just have an uneasy feeling that whenever a dealer sees anything aftermarket, they may start to hassle and make excuses. This way I'll enjoy the mod starting from delivery and be done with it.

For sure, it is overpriced like anything JCW. The price ($1100) is much higher than aftermarket equivalents, although not unexpected for JCW pricing of intake, exhaust, and remap combined. There has been much criticism of JCW's statement of only 3 bhp increase. Judging by this: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=50929, they might not be doing too badly. The reports from UK owners on Mini2 are positive and indicate improved throttle response throughout the range.

Do I seem a bit defensive? Absolutely! Ever have the situation where you want to buy something and you can't logically justify it, but you get it anyway? That's the situation for me.

ravenfish 10-16-2005 03:52 PM

JCW

dickdavid 12-15-2005 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by rkw
Okay, you folks are putting me to shame. I'll admit that I've ordered the Sound Kit for my 2006 MCC. It will be pre-installed before I take delivery of the car in mid-October.

I knew that I would like to upgrade the intake and exhaust at some point, but feel reluctant to install aftermarket before the warranty runs out. I just have an uneasy feeling that whenever a dealer sees anything aftermarket, they may start to hassle and make excuses. This way I'll enjoy the mod starting from delivery and be done with it.

For sure, it is overpriced like anything JCW. The price ($1100) is much higher than aftermarket equivalents, although not unexpected for JCW pricing of intake, exhaust, and remap combined. There has been much criticism of JCW's statement of only 3 bhp increase. Judging by this: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=50929, they might not be doing too badly. The reports from UK owners on Mini2 are positive and indicate improved throttle response throughout the range.

Do I seem a bit defensive? Absolutely! Ever have the situation where you want to buy something and you can't logically justify it, but you get it anyway? That's the situation for me.

I, too, think it's worth it. In fact, I'm the new owner of JCW Sound Kit #D75.

The sound is AWESOME! and the integration with OEM is flawless. Thumbs up in my book! Well worth the money!

Here's a quote from another forum that I relate to:
"I agree, HP/torque aren't the only metrics to measure value by. Prestige, serviceability and warranty count too. I know you can get more bang for the buck by doing aftermarket as opposed to JCW, but if I had the cash I'd go JCW in a hurry.

If you can work on your own car (and I admire those who can) or track/AutoX seriously, then you've got a different set of values than those of us who just enjoy the car as our daily driver and like a little thrill getting on the tollway."

dickdavid 03-09-2006 04:53 AM

Here's a new review:

http://motoringfile.com/2006/03/08/m...oper-soundkit/

Krut 03-09-2006 05:02 AM

I actually think it's a decent mod - from the motoringfile clip - it sounds great and the reviewer normally drives a modified MCS and he was impressed.

antsmini 04-23-2006 07:46 PM

Does this work with the CVT as well?

scotteast 04-23-2006 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by antsmini
Does this work with the CVT as well?

Yes, absolutely. :nod: I have the JCW SK on my MC CVT.

And it sounds great! :thumbsup:

MINIGURU@WAY MOTOR WORKS 04-23-2006 08:06 PM

I installed 2 K&N intakes on Cooper's last week and was very pleased with both of them. 1 was a CVT and I almost think it was better, because the way the car will hold the revs. Just an idea I also have some Cooper Exhausts that work well. They can save you some money and make good power as we found on the dyno. But no JCW name.

mikem53 04-26-2006 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by rkw

An aftermarket intake and exhaust will not void your warranty. These parts will not be covered should they ever fail, but the rest of your car is fully covered.
The intake and exhaust are "passive" components and do not put stress on the other systems. These are considered "safe" mods by manufactures and dealers...