JCW First time in a JCW today - 2021 Countryman

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2021, 06:39 PM
MattRG
1st Gear
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
First time in a JCW today - 2021 Countryman

The short version: I was impressed!

The longer version: I test drove a Cooper S Clubman two weeks ago and was a little ambivalent about it. For being a Mini it felt a little bit lacking to me in the fun department I think much of it was just down to the motor. So I went back today and they had a 2021 Countryman JCW on the lot and it went a long way towards bringing back the fun and excitement into the drive. The chassis felt nicely dialed in without being harsh and the motor was very punchy and felt very strong. I did not expect to enjoy the handling as much as I did since this one was a Countryman "SUV" and sits higher off of the ground but I really enjoyed myself. They basically tossed the keys to me and said "go have fun!" so that's exactly what I did.

The only let down for me was the lack of power seats and the fact that I never did find the perfect, most comfortable seating position possible. Compared to the Clubman from two weeks ago which did have power seats it did not feel as good in that department. Otherwise, good job Mini in making something that's both practical in shape and size while also being capable and fun to drive!

After my drive today I am trying to decide if I'd like to stick to the Countryman or have them find a Clubman JCW for me as there are a few 21's still out there. For anyone who's had experience in either one, is there a noticeable difference in the 18" Runflat All Seasons versus the 19" Summer Performance tires in terms of ride and noise? It seems like the Runflats would be worse in both but maybe being smaller cancels that out somewhat due to the higher sidewall. The one I test drove had the 18" Runflats and they were better than I thought they would be in terms of ride and noise.

Old 05-16-2021, 09:56 AM
Masada
3rd Gear
Received 81 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by MattRG
The short version: I was impressed!

The longer version: I test drove a Cooper S Clubman two weeks ago and was a little ambivalent about it. For being a Mini it felt a little bit lacking to me in the fun department I think much of it was just down to the motor. So I went back today and they had a 2021 Countryman JCW on the lot and it went a long way towards bringing back the fun and excitement into the drive. The chassis felt nicely dialed in without being harsh and the motor was very punchy and felt very strong. I did not expect to enjoy the handling as much as I did since this one was a Countryman "SUV" and sits higher off of the ground but I really enjoyed myself. They basically tossed the keys to me and said "go have fun!" so that's exactly what I did.

The only let down for me was the lack of power seats and the fact that I never did find the perfect, most comfortable seating position possible. Compared to the Clubman from two weeks ago which did have power seats it did not feel as good in that department. Otherwise, good job Mini in making something that's both practical in shape and size while also being capable and fun to drive!

After my drive today I am trying to decide if I'd like to stick to the Countryman or have them find a Clubman JCW for me as there are a few 21's still out there. For anyone who's had experience in either one, is there a noticeable difference in the 18" Runflat All Seasons versus the 19" Summer Performance tires in terms of ride and noise? It seems like the Runflats would be worse in both but maybe being smaller cancels that out somewhat due to the higher sidewall. The one I test drove had the 18" Runflats and they were better than I thought they would be in terms of ride and noise.
Well either JCW is a great choice. I find the Clubman JCW is a more engaging ride, especially when cornering and a tad quicker. Countryman has a nicer and roomier interior. The RFT's are noisier for sure. I am changing from 18 inch RFT's to 19 inch non-RFT's. I went for power seats as a non-powered version in a car with that price point is scandalous.

Old 05-16-2021, 05:46 PM
AirborneMini003
4th Gear
Received 84 Likes on 59 Posts
I agree with Masada.

The clubman S needs a pick me up. Mine is older so it supports the tuning kit which offered a reliable, much needed pick me up. For the cost of the mods, I got to personalize it and came away ahead. That worked for me.

When I have to do it again, I’d probably go for a countryman JCW, drop it down a little on 19’s to make it more nimble. I have no regrets on my clubman, it’s a fun, practical car. A couple more inches of clearance for winter would be nice, especially if I can get rid of the wheel gap and tighten the stock handling.

With the amount I drive, it may be a while before I’m in the market again.

Old 05-17-2021, 08:29 AM
MattRG
1st Gear
Thanks for your responses. I really wish there was a Clubman JCW around so that I could compare it to the Countryman because I really did like the way that one drove. This is not necessarily a JCW question but does the Clubman really have more cargo space than the Countryman? Just looking at them that doesn't seem possible but the "official" numbers put the Clubman about 3 cu. ft. ahead of the Countryman when the seats are folded down. I need to take my tape measure to the dealership next time because I'm thinking those official measurements might only be to the bottom of the rear windows which is something that the Germans do when measuring cargo space.

I do have some storage space requirements for this vehicle and I need to make sure either will work before I commit.

Old 05-17-2021, 09:06 AM
Masada
3rd Gear
Received 81 Likes on 55 Posts
Thanks for your responses. I really wish there was a Clubman JCW around so that I could compare it to the Countryman because I really did like the way that one drove. This is not necessarily a JCW question but does the Clubman really have more cargo space than the Countryman? Just looking at them that doesn't seem possible but the "official" numbers put the Clubman about 3 cu. ft. ahead of the Countryman when the seats are folded down. I need to take my tape measure to the dealership next time because I'm thinking those official measurements might only be to the bottom of the rear windows which is something that the Germans do when measuring cargo space.

I do have some storage space requirements for this vehicle and I need to make sure either will work before I commit.
With the added height the Countryman should be better for cargo to some degree. If I were to buy a Countryman JCW I would definitely put it on 19's and lower it which would improve handling and lower that center of gravity.

Old 05-17-2021, 12:18 PM
AirborneMini003
4th Gear
Received 84 Likes on 59 Posts
does the Clubman really have more cargo space than the Countryman? Just looking at them that doesn't seem possible but the "official" numbers put the Clubman about 3 cu. ft. ahead of the Countryman when the seats are folded down..
Tough question. Depends on what you need the space for. More doesn’t necessary equate to usable. The countryman has the added height and bigger opening. I have an x1 also, and I find the trunk more practical. When I park in a garage with low roof the barn doors on the clubby are super.

The back seat on the other hand is garbage in the BMW. Same car platform but the lower seat angle makes it terrible to install a car seat with latch compared to the Mini. With the seat installed, the front passenger eats the BMW dash but is fine in the clubman. Seems like it moving the rear back forward was a cheat to get the cargo space claim up. Best to measure if you have a specific need.

Old 05-18-2021, 07:27 AM
MattRG
1st Gear
Originally Posted by AirborneMini003
Tough question. Depends on what you need the space for. More doesn’t necessary equate to usable. The countryman has the added height and bigger opening. I have an x1 also, and I find the trunk more practical. When I park in a garage with low roof the barn doors on the clubby are super.

The back seat on the other hand is garbage in the BMW. Same car platform but the lower seat angle makes it terrible to install a car seat with latch compared to the Mini. With the seat installed, the front passenger eats the BMW dash but is fine in the clubman. Seems like it moving the rear back forward was a cheat to get the cargo space claim up. Best to measure if you have a specific need.
Great advice and thank you, I will!