JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 2nd Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs are discussed.

JCW cooling system issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 09:39 AM
ymi5150?
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
cooling system issues

hey there

my fan's been running excessively and a few yellow and one red coolant warning light so i bled the system last night and it seemed to run to work without triggering the fan. however, i lifted the hood and there was coolant on drivers side over tranny, and an audible hiss. i couldn't tell where it was coming from. couldn't see the leak under the intake track.

any insight from other JCW owners? car has about 48k on it.daily driver. stock. no track days. looks like its about time for a water pump but that appears to be on passenger side so probably not root cause. heater works well and no coolant on floor after driving.

the car also seems to ahve developed a strange sound above 2k. not sure if its related. sort of a hissing sound. could be a number of things.

car runs good. stable idle, good power, good gas mileage, no thrown codes.

edit: seems its coming from thermostat housing. i'll be placing an order today.

ECS - any input on the Forge silicone hose kit? any trimming required?

Last edited by ymi5150?; 07-13-2017 at 10:35 AM.
Old 07-16-2017, 06:43 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by ymi5150?
hey there

my fan's been running excessively and a few yellow and one red coolant warning light so i bled the system last night and it seemed to run to work without triggering the fan. however, i lifted the hood and there was coolant on drivers side over tranny, and an audible hiss. i couldn't tell where it was coming from. couldn't see the leak under the intake track.

any insight from other JCW owners? car has about 48k on it.daily driver. stock. no track days. looks like its about time for a water pump but that appears to be on passenger side so probably not root cause. heater works well and no coolant on floor after driving.

the car also seems to ahve developed a strange sound above 2k. not sure if its related. sort of a hissing sound. could be a number of things.

Maybe you are still under the 4/50K warranty.

Old 07-17-2017, 01:25 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Originally Posted by ymi5150?
hey there

Yes, its a crack on the thermostat housing on the underside. Get it on order.

Parts and DIY linked:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...8-no-heat.html

Thermostat note:
Note: For vehicles with production from 6/2010 to 3/2012 Base/JCW models will require ES2558172 if this is the first time being replaced.

I fitted the forge silicone on mine with the ECS CF intake and it was a little tighter than stock but fit fine. Batch to batch they can be cut a little long so some people just shave a little off, I have not heard of one being way off lately. Nice hose that holds ups, my stock one had a split near the turbo inlet and needed to be replaced which is common on the N14.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172