JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 2nd Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs are discussed.

JCW World Championship 50

Old 01-18-2018, 02:25 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
In our society one is innocent until proven guilty. Add that it is well known that the Press never lies, , therefore until others present evidence to the contrary, it is moved that WC50 is hand made.

Old 01-18-2018, 08:43 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
Seconded.

The following users liked this post:
mini coop (01-20-2018)
Old 01-19-2018, 04:07 PM
mini coop
6th Gear
Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
While it states in several articles that WC50's were pulled off the line and hand built, do you have anything that says that they weren't? I think proving that WC50's were not hand built falls's upon you due to existing documentation.

Old 01-19-2018, 04:29 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
mini coop (01-20-2018)
Old 01-19-2018, 10:12 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by mini coop
While it states in several articles that WC50's were pulled off the line and hand built, do you have anything that says that they weren't? I think proving that WC50's were not hand built falls's upon you due to existing documentation.
The question is more about when these trim parts add-on came on the production line or somewhere else. No hand built here.

They were just regular production JCW with LE paint and trim.

Otherwise, I would also believe I have a "hand built" because of a few stickers to match the body parts on my Coupe LOL

Anybody with basic expertise in engineering/manufacturing would confirm.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:50 PM
blue al
4th Gear
Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Whine not Walnuts
The work was performed at the John Cooper Works facility. It could something similar to RUF and Porsche except BMW owns JCW.
I can find Area 51 on Google earth

Please send me to the "john Cooper works facility"

I must have missed it during the factory tour..

In all seriousness to the best of my knowledge Any bricks and mortar associated with the Cooper name closed during the r53 production run

Last edited by blue al; 01-19-2018 at 10:52 PM. Reason: Marketing speak, not engineering facilities
Old 01-20-2018, 05:26 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
What I have found is that after BMW purchased the right to the John Cooper Works name, Mike Cooper formed another company; John Cooper Works Limited. The company is still active from what I found with an address of Summit One, Summit Avenue, Farnborough, Hampshire, United Kingdom, GU14 0F. The company records indicate it is still filing reports although as a "dormant" company. In today's world where there is lawyer on every corner, IMO there are definitions in the auto industry and that "hand-built" could exist with a very specific definition of what constitutes the ability to use the term. As the term was used in an article and I have not been able to find any retractions, it could be the WC50 meets the definition.

Understanding the purpose behind a statement and looking at the statement with a legal approach, I can say without question that there is an answer to the age old question of "what came first the chicken or the egg."

But to back on topic, I have yet to see any hard evidence presented that the WC-50 is not "hand-built."

mini coop (01-20-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 07:39 AM
mini coop
6th Gear
Thank you Whine not Wanuts and squawSkiBum. Very good investigative work, support and knowledge on the topic.

Old 01-20-2018, 09:13 AM
blue al
4th Gear
What I have found is that after BMW purchased the right to the John Cooper Works name, Mike Cooper formed another company; John Cooper Works Limited. The company is still active from what I found with an address of Summit One, Summit Avenue, Farnborough, Hampshire, United Kingdom, GU14 0F. The company records indicate it is still filing reports although as a "dormant" company. In today's world where there is lawyer on every corner, IMO there are definitions in the auto industry and that "hand-built" could exist with a very specific definition of what constitutes the ability to use the term. As the term was used in an article and I have not been able to find any retractions, it could be the WC50 meets the definition.

Understanding the purpose behind a statement and looking at the statement with a legal approach, I can say without question that there is an answer to the age old question of "what came first the chicken or the egg."

But to back on topic, I have yet to see any hard evidence presented that the WC-50 is not "hand-built."
Congratulations

You have found BMW uk Hq

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bm...&client=safari

Last edited by blue al; 01-20-2018 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Lots of offices for marketing team not workshops
Old 01-20-2018, 09:26 AM
blue al
4th Gear
https://www.pistonheads.com/news/gen...ce-17-09/36680

I have visited places where minis are hand built but Farnborough isn't one of them

Old 01-20-2018, 09:42 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
oh, and its the egg of course.

Old 01-20-2018, 06:00 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Originally Posted by blue al
I can find Area 51 on Google earth

Please send me to the "john Cooper works facility"

I must have missed it during the factory tour..

In all seriousness to the best of my knowledge Any bricks and mortar associated with the Cooper name closed during the r53 production run
Some have dreams and are real believers of the impossible because they read too much fiction novels.

All Mini are assembled in Oxford, England if I am right. The JCW facility is a myth of a bygone era and not in business anymore.

I would like to see a window sticker.

Old 01-20-2018, 06:11 PM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 489 Likes on 408 Posts
The 2006 GP was built in Italy by Bertone.

Old 01-20-2018, 06:12 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
All MINI's are not assembled in Oxford, or even in England. Some are assembled in Netherlands IIRC.

Old 01-20-2018, 07:40 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Originally Posted by vetsvette
All MINI's are not assembled in Oxford, or even in England. Some are assembled in Netherlands IIRC.
The question is still the same........ where the WC50 cars have been assembled and thereafter cleared for export to America.

Nobody knows? We just need to see a window sticker of one of these collectibles.

Old 01-20-2018, 08:43 PM
mini coop
6th Gear
Articles state that the car is hand built. Several sources say so. MINI says so too. Interesting that 3 Moderators have also become interested in this thread and the discussion. There is still nothing concrete that says they are not hand built.

Last edited by mini coop; 01-21-2018 at 11:38 AM.
Old 01-21-2018, 05:05 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Does the word homonym mean anything to any body? I have sat in meetings during the construction of pharmaceutical projects where the proper placement of a comma in a validation document can be debated for an hour. What we here in the peanuts gallery think IMO may not matter at all. I would love to get the input of a copyright or patent lawyer.

Pull out a bill, does not matter what denomination, from your wallet and look at the five words that are above the person's image. Now tell me, do those words represent our country or a corporation?

Still waiting for any real evidence that the term "hand-built" cannot be applied toward the WC50. By the way, there is one for sale here now.

mini coop (01-21-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 05:22 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Does the word homonym mean anything to any body? I have sat in meetings during the construction of pharmaceutical projects where the proper placement of a comma in a validation document can be debated for an hour. What we here in the peanuts gallery think IMO may not matter at all. I would love to get the input of a copyright or patent lawyer.

Pull out a bill, does not matter what denomination, from your wallet and look at the five words that are above the person's image. Now tell me, do those words represent our country or a corporation?

Still waiting for any real evidence that the term "hand-built" cannot be applied toward the WC50. By the way, there is one for sale here now.
Can you tell us where your WC50 has been assembled from your window sticker?

This is a simple question.

Old 01-22-2018, 03:01 AM
mikeswagon
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dube53
Can you tell us where your WC50 has been assembled from your window sticker?

This is a simple question.

I'd expect them to be no different to other Minis of that age, it would say Oxford. Only Countryman and Paceman were made in Austria.

I'm pretty sure the 'hand-built' thing came about from the paint. Connaught wasn't a standard factory colour, and unless you have a PW car you couldn't get a PW roof, so they simply took the shells off the line and they were sprayed by hand.

Last edited by mikeswagon; 01-22-2018 at 03:06 AM.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:48 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Hmmm, interesting that now the word "assembled" is being used. Assembled by hand, assembled by machine . . . .

The synonyms for "assembled" are; construct, build, fabricate, manufacture, erect, set up, put together, piece together, connect, join.

And a hint for the bill question above; not the land of the brave.

Old 01-22-2018, 06:05 PM
mini coop
6th Gear
Please see the photo stating that the WC50 is "essentially a hand built JCW taken off the line in Oxford and finished elsewhere".

Old 01-22-2018, 07:27 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mini coop
Please see the photo stating that the WC50 is "essentially a hand built JCW taken off the line in Oxford and finished elsewhere".
This does not seem to be a corporate press release. No credible source either.

If built in Oxford, it never left the production line. Look at YouTube videos. All Minis are built on the very same production line no matter trim, options or packages and forget about a JCW facility in 2010

Old 01-22-2018, 09:22 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
Is there a prize for whoever wins this debate?

Carry on.

Old 01-23-2018, 02:55 AM
mini coop
6th Gear
Motoring File has credibility.

Old 01-23-2018, 04:59 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
For clarification on my part, I am not an individual that believes the car was hand-built in the terms of the parts being made by hand and then all put together by hand. Rather I am one that can accept that the vehicle was hand-built relative to a specific definition by a large corporation schooled in both marketing and the legality of marketing claims made.

I spent my entire career in an industry whereas if one did not understand the specific meaning of words, one's butt was handed to them on a platter. I used two specific examples in my posts here. First, the chicken and the egg question. The majority of individuals just assume that "egg" is a chicken egg although that was not stated. They also assume the chicken is an animal and not a game testing the nerve of the players. The egg is a basic concept of organic life form reproduction with fossilized dinosaur eggs being found. As these dinosaur eggs predate any "birds" let alone a game created by a mammal that also did not exist at the time, the answer to the question "what came first the chicken of the egg" is the egg.

The second example I used was that of the words above the image on any US currency note. Those words are THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, which is a corporation created by the Federal Reserve and is not the The United States of American a county that I happen to be a citizen of. In this instance the capitalized letter has a distinct legal inference.

Until somebody can present something other than personal opinion they are doing nothing other than providing amusement to some of us here.

Search this Thread